join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Thardorian

Re: Lets take back our games, a call to arms for decent men.

There's something that got under my skin about the article the OP is referring to;

quote:
Anonymity is a privilege, not a right. Anonymity is a double-edged sword. A limited number of people need it in certain circumstances: children, crime victims, whistleblowers, people discussing their medical conditions, political dissidents in repressive regimes. But those people normally don't misuse their anonymity to abuse others; they're protecting themselves from abuse. I think the default setting in all online forums that are not intended for people at risk should require real names. After a user has demonstrated that they are a grown-up, then offer them the privilege of using a pseudonym. And take it away forever if they misuse it. I haven't used a nickname for years except in one place where all the readers know who I am anyway. Has it made me more careful about what I say? You bet. Is that a good thing? Damn right it is.

Why is it that whenever we talk about someone's "rights" online anonymity goes on the block?

I'm not disputing the rest of the issues that need to be addressed regarding misogyny, just that I think misogyny can be addressed without altering the fundamental character of the internet.

Lastly; gaming is about competition, and there's a difference between being competitive, and misogynistic. The overal tone of the article seems to be that we should ditch most (if not all) competitve behavior to prevent misogyny, honestly I think the author might be throwing out the baby with the bathwater at this point; because s/he hasn't even broached the issue of competitive behavior in gaming.

/rant.

Sorry to get all serious on yas.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have