how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shmee

join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA

utterly fed up with VOD issues...

i have two cisco boxes (both non-dvr, the 335 model), and i have this problem with both of them. i have a rev g actiontec which is bridged with (and sitting behind) a linksys wrt320n as my main router with ethernet from the ont to the linksys.

i constantly have horrible stuttering and pixelation on a wide variety of VOD content, and it's been getting increasingly worse. in the past few days, several VOD titles have straight up frozen entirely and refuse to play at all. i've used the in-home agent to "auto-correct" which as far as i can tell is just a soft reboot? big whoop!

i don't know what else to try, but i've had it with not being able to watch anything on-demand!

i should note, this is my second actiontec rev g. when this problem first started i contacted verizon tech support and after going through all of their troubleshooting (which included taking the linksys out of the picture and going straight through the actiontec), they thought it might be a bad router and sent me a replacement.

anyone else experiencing this issue? in vho 8 perhaps? anything i can do to fix this? :/

FiosTV1080I

join:2010-09-06
united state

Did you do a network test and what SNR are you getting? Are your Widgets working fine? Guide Data working all 10 days? U might have ONT issue but try and see what SNR is basically.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by FiosTV1080I:

Did you do a network test and what SNR are you getting?

What would SNR have to do with a VOD issue? VOD is delivered over MOCA LAN. SNR applies only to linear channels.

@ shmee See Profile have you checked your MOCA LAN stats?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to shmee

What happens when you connect the Verizon router first, bypassing the Linksys? If you haven't done that, then maybe you should't be utterly fed up yet. Your configuration is not exactly the Verizon standard. Just a thought.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
reply to shmee

Probably a QOS setting in your linksys wrt320n, nothing to do with Verizon stuff

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

He took the Lkynsys out already " (which included taking the linksys out of the picture and going straight through the actiontec),"

You need to get another tech out .

shmee

join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by FiosTV1080I:

Did you do a network test and what SNR are you getting?

What would SNR have to do with a VOD issue? VOD is delivered over MOCA LAN. SNR applies only to linear channels.

@ shmee See Profile have you checked your MOCA LAN stats?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?

moca stats are as follows:

living room stb: 249.68
bedroom stb: 244.16

i attribute the slightly lower numbers for the bedroom stb to the fact that it's a slightly longer coax run.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by shmee:

moca stats are as follows:

living room stb: 249.68
bedroom stb: 244.16

i attribute the slightly lower numbers for the bedroom stb to the fact that it's a slightly longer coax run.

Thats fine, anything over 180 should not cause packet loss.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shmee

I spent the extra money (all of $65) to get an enterprise-class Cisco switch at the core of my network. This lets you see important things like CRC errors, and you can hard-set speed and duplex. I managed to root out some cable problems that I never knew I had & replaced some cables. CRC errors cause re-transmits, which can cause a wide variety of issues (like picture stuttering etc etc..)

I'd make sure your network is tip-top first -- examine issues from the bottom up....