Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

1 edit

Appeals panel overturns Saints player suspensions

»sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f···pt=hp_t1

Wow...didn't expect that, honestly...seems a little fishy to me, or maybe some backroom dealing was going on. It seems that the timing of this pretty much makes it impossible for anything to stop this from going through, at least for this weekend.

Shortly after the decision, Vilma wrote on Twitter: "Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin"

Classy

Also interesting...

The panel's decision does not apply to Saints coaches or management, meaning coach Sean Payton (2012 season), general manager Mickey Loomis (eight games) and assistant coach Joe Vitt (six games) still must serve out their discipline.

ESPN's article:
»espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83490···on-panel

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
A lot of Sports Radio were talking about this way back. A lot of them had high remarks for Vilma saying he was a smart person and would probably win this.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Koil
I hope the NFL commissioner reinstates the penalties. The players were scum for trying to intentionally injure an opposing player and should be suspended.

»www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sai···89.story

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Koil
Sounds like some $$$ was involved here

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Koil
I'm not siding with the players and I do agree that injuring players on purpose has no place in the game. But the comissioner does have too much power. If the league wasn't getting all these lawsuits and concerns now about concussions they probably would have not penalized Saints or the players that harsh. A lot of former players have come out stating there was pot money for big plays.
Grantland's Bill Simmons had a good tid bit that I found interesting about the NFL. »www.grantland.com/story/_/id/834···s-league

1. Allow their arrogant commissioner to bestow himself with unprecedented power without any real checks and balances.

2. Pull a Joe McCarthy and scapegoat a signature team for being "too violent," whether they have enough evidence or not, just to prove that they're taking things seriously now and stuff.

3. Lowball their officials even though the league makes billions of dollars — literally, billions and billions of dollars — and bring in a slew of inferior replacements so writers, bloggers and talking heads will waste millions of hours venting about shoddy officiating and how "THE LEAGUE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING!!!"

4. Execute their version of "juicing the balls" by doing everything possible to ensure that "5,000 passing yards is the new 4,000" and maybe even have one of their stars flirt with 6,000 yards this season.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I hope the NFL commissioner reinstates the penalties. The players were scum for trying to intentionally injure an opposing player and should be suspended.

»www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sai···89.story

Goodell has shown nobody any evidence that the players tried to intentionally injure another player. Nothing.

He can reinstate suspensions if he has evidence of this that can be reviewed by others.

He asserted something was true, and has avoided every request to show the information. Some of that information will have to be shown in the libel lawsuit that Vilma filed against the NFL, in order to defend Goodell and the league. You can't just assert things to a court and have any expectation of being believed without evidence. And Goodell, so far, has none. He'll have to have it and have it reviewed by others outside league offices in order to reinstate the suspensions. Basically he's in a tight spot of his own making.

The smartest thing the NFL can do is drop the suspensions for players, say they've made the point they were trying to make, and let it die into the background as people gear up to enjoy another season of NFL football. This is the best time of the year for the story to go away quickly.

Jeff Pash, the NFL's attorney, will want to fight of course since the league has proceeded on the basis of his legal advice. This is the time for the league to stop following it, unless they want to dig a bigger and bigger hole for themselves. If there was clear evidence that players intentionally tried to hurt other players the NFL would have shown it by now to get the public on their side. They haven't.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
This is a pretty good article on the whole situation and is worth reading. »sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w···dex.html

You can pick and choose things that favor either 'side' in this from the article, but it's basically informative and covers a lot of the lawsuit-related and suspension-related and negotiation-related issues going on.

AndandoPaleo

join:2012-06-21
outer limits
reply to Koil
The Saints were used as a scapegoat. Goodell needs to take a stiff drink and back off.
--
ancient walking one