dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

[XPPro] Monitor doesn't sleep after modifying logon screensaver

I modified my logon screensaver »Should this be added to the FAQ?

and now my monitor does not go into sleep mode after the screensaver stops. Instead it just goes dim as seen here...

dim

What it looks like if I move the mouse...

normal

My settings:

settings

This only happens when I log out of windows. If I keep it logged in as admin everything works normally.

Oh and lets try to keep the ancient CRT monitor jokes to a minimum.
dolphins

2 edits

dolphins

Premium Member

Re: [XPPro] Monitor doesn't sleep after modifying logon screensa

OK, I never did figure out what caused this so I resorted to changing my settings so that the monitor never sleeps. Problem solved.

I still want to know what caused the monitor to dim without going into sleep mode but just not willing to pursue it any further myself.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Power settings are per user and your settings apply only after you logon.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 edit

dolphins

Premium Member

Power settings are administrator controlled and reside in the %systemroot%system32 folder.

The administrator settings override all user settings.
dolphins

1 edit

dolphins

Premium Member

Hmmm... I had completely given up on finding the answer when suddenly there it is staring me right in the face. If someone would just move all those trees... I could see the forest.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/907477

The cause is most likely a third party screensaver software compatibility issue.

Edit: I'm not a programmer but I think there may be an .exe in the default logon screensaver that triggers the monitor to sleep whereas the third party screensaver lacks the correct code?