All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fnick507
join:2012-09-07
Atlantic City, NJ

fnick507

Best VOIP Modem for Blast Tier Speeds offered by Comcast ?

Hello all,

I just upgraded my service to a triple play with Tv / Phone / Blast tier Internet. I currently have a Motorola SB 6121 Modem for Internet that I own and does well as in being stable, and offering the speeds in the Blast tier.

Since I will have to rent a Modem with Viop can be with wireless or without do you guys have any suggestions for a quality Voip Modem that will offer Stability/Speed and Reliability??

I heard Ubee are not that great but Arris seems to be a great modem.

If anyone could offer Model numbers, I would really appreciate it as the technician is coming out on Sunday?

Thank you,
fnick50

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by fnick507:

Hello all,

I just upgraded my service to a triple play with Tv / Phone / Blast tier Internet. I currently have a Motorola SB 6121 Modem for Internet that I own and does well as in being stable, and offering the speeds in the Blast tier.

Since I will have to rent a Modem with Viop can be with wireless or without do you guys have any suggestions for a quality Voip Modem that will offer Stability/Speed and Reliability??

I heard Ubee are not that great but Arris seems to be a great modem.

If anyone could offer Model numbers, I would really appreciate it as the technician is coming out on Sunday?

Thank you,
fnick50

You will probably be delivered a ARRIS TM862G Gateway device (HSI Modem, VoIP device and 4 port router all in one)

»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· EC11.pdf

I don't like all in one devices as they make things much harder to diagnose when something goes wrong or to be able to change router settings as you please. (The options for that part of the device are usually very limited vs a stand alone router)

So if you get one of these, I'd see about putting that thing into bridge mode and using your own router with that.

Or see if you can't get one of these:

A straight EMTA. One that Comcast uses now is a ARRIS TM822G

»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· UN11.pdf

It's a HSI modem/VoIP device and you supply your own router.

My setup is like that and I've had little to no problem.

Hope that helps answer your questions and good luck with the install. Be sure to come back and post how it went. And if you have any problems as well.

fnick507
Atlantic City, NJ

fnick507

Thank You Chris 313, Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Your right I don't want to be limited so the arris tm822g sounds good. I will look into it tonight.

Take Care,
fnick50

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by fnick507:

Thank You Chris 313, Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Your right I don't want to be limited so the arris tm822g sounds good. I will look into it tonight.

Take Care,
fnick50

Cool. And you're welcome. How do you plan to look into it if you don't mind my asking?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

EG to fnick507

Premium Member

to fnick507
In addition to what Chris 313 See Profile has stated, these gateway devices have demonstrated to typically have sub-par performance, particularly with their wireless radio reach / range.
fnick507
Atlantic City, NJ

fnick507 to Chris 313

to Chris 313
No problem Chris 313, I was going to call comcast to see if the technician could have it in his truck for install if that was at all possible and also to read the .pdf link you sent on the Arris tm822g. I also referenced it on the comcast approved list and saw there were two versions :
1. Arris TM822G (IMS)
2. Arris TM822G (NCS)

I didn't call comcast yet, do you think that is the right way to go about it and also do you have the IMS/NCS version.

Thanks again
fnick50
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to fnick507

Premium Member

to fnick507
Just keep using your modem for HSI, and take whatever they give you for CDV. Or better yet, don't buy their rip-off CDV service, when you can get Ooma for like $4/mo with better quality and features and the same complete unreliability that is Comcast.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

Just keep using your modem for HSI, and take whatever they give you for CDV.

FWIW, this indeed can be done provided that the signal strength / connection quality is adequate in the first place to allow for the additional attenuation that will be introduced by the extra split.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313 to fnick507

Premium Member

to fnick507
said by fnick507:

No problem Chris 313, I was going to call comcast to see if the technician could have it in his truck for install if that was at all possible and also to read the .pdf link you sent on the Arris tm822g. I also referenced it on the comcast approved list and saw there were two versions :
1. Arris TM822G (IMS)
2. Arris TM822G (NCS)

I didn't call comcast yet, do you think that is the right way to go about it and also do you have the IMS/NCS version.

Thanks again
fnick50

Well, you could try calling them, but it might be hit or miss. I know a way you could talk to someone who could specifically note on your account what equipment to have for install, but since it's already past 5:30, you probably wouldn't get an answer until monday, and your install date is Sunday, correct? But you could always ask the installer if he has a straight Docsis 3 EMTA on his truck when he gets there. You might get lucky.

If you get the Arris TM862G Gateway device, you can always have it put into bridge mode and use your own router to the same effect as if you had an TM822G and your own router. So no matter what happens, you should be covered and get things working as you want.

I actually don't have either of the EMTAs I recommended for you. I use a much older previous series model, a ARRIS TM502G. It just works. Upgrades in my area have only just begun. As for the distinction between IMS and NCS, I wouldn't know. But stick around, I'm sure someone will be able to answer that question.
Chris 313

Chris 313 to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

said by BiggA:

Just keep using your modem for HSI, and take whatever they give you for CDV.

FWIW, this indeed can be done provided that the signal strength / connection quality is adequate in the first place to allow for the additional attenuation that will be introduced by the extra split.

Yes, exactly. I did a split between a regular HSI modem and the EMTA when I first got it. For a while it worked well, but in the end I had problems with enough signal and had to have tech visits to get it right. I went straight to the ARRIS for everything HSI/CDV wise and no problems so far. That was 3/17/12 if memory serves.
fnick507
Atlantic City, NJ

fnick507 to Chris 313

to Chris 313
That would have been great, I will give them a call first and find out and I will definitely keep you posted. You have been a big help Chris 313

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by fnick507:

That would have been great, I will give them a call first and find out and I will definitely keep you posted. You have been a big help Chris 313

Good luck. I'll be waiting to hear what happens. And you're welcome. I do what I can, when I can, how I can.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to EG

Premium Member

to EG
You can always amp it or put it on a different jack somewhere else in the house (of course, it still has to be split somewhere...).

Still... CDV is a horrible product. With the local incumbent, you get the reliability of copper lines with battery and diesel backup and no local power required. With Ooma, you get almost free service and the best quality. With CDV, you get the poor reliability of Ooma (not their fault, but it relies on Comcast to work) with the high price of the local incumbent. Lose-lose.

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to fnick507

Anon

to fnick507
You guy's are kicking around the 822 like everyone will just have them on their truck lol. Don't be surprised if he has an odd mix of devices. Whatever we are given is what we will use, there is no guaranty what device you will get. They should have the 862 as we carry lots of those, but good straight D3 Emta's are getting hard to come by now that these stupid gateway's are out.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

You can always amp it

"Amping" is typically a band-aid approach...
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Not if you have a good signal coming in, but too many splits for it to handle...
fnick507
Atlantic City, NJ

fnick507

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. It's good to have options.
fnick507

fnick507 to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Hey Chris 313,

I had to reschedule my appointment to Friday 14th, is it possible to PM you about the availability of the 822g, I got no where with comcast.

Thank you again,
fnick50

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

No one you speak with will know, only the warehouse personal will. The tech has what he has, nothing you say can/will change that. He is given equipment generally in the beginning of the week, and it SHOULD last him through to the end of the work week, if he needs mroe, he goes and gets it. Some areas still do daily equipment, and thats the same, hes given what hes given.

keep your modem, and just use whatever they give you for CDV, itll work fine.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to fnick507

Premium Member

to fnick507
Ok. So you have more time now, eh? You can go here: »Comcast Direct and talk to ComcastSteve. He might be able to help you.

Explain your situation and he might be able to do something to help you. But if you get an ARRIS TM862G all in one gateway, you can always have it put into bridge mode after the install and use your own router to the same effect as having an 822G and your own router.

So as I said, you'll be covered and I hope you enjoy your new service. Be sure to come back with how it went and any problems you encounter.

PS: I'm not a Comcast employee in any form and wouldn't know any insider info on equipment loads that would help you. I'm flattered you'd think so, though.
fnick507
Atlantic City, NJ

1 recommendation

fnick507

You been a big help all along Chris 313 and thank you for the recommendation , I'll let you know how it goes next week for sure.

Take Care,
fnick50
fnick507

fnick507

By the way BiggA and EG thanks for your suggestion into this, If I do keep my modem at least I know splitting the signal is possible.

Take Care,
fnick50
fnick507

fnick507

Also to: gar187er ; trythisfirst

Thanks for letting me know how the Comcast Technicians work, It would be great to have a choice to achieve what I want. I would be better if they had a warehouse or somewhere where you could pick up what you needed or have it sent to you first for special request like mine.

Take Care,
fnick50

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to fnick507

MVM

to fnick507
BTW, you may well be offered an Arris TM 722G, which is similar to the TM 822G, but is a 4x4 D3 eMTA, versus 8x4.

IMHO, not a huge deal, as your current modem is a 4x4 model now. I suspect that TM 822Gs are not all that common in stock just yet.
fnick507
Atlantic City, NJ

fnick507

Hey PeteC2,

A 722g would work, I think my area still just has 4 bonded down and 1 upstream still.

Thanks for the tip
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to fnick507

Premium Member

to fnick507
Yeah, it's not any worse than adding another TV, assuming your setup can support it, and depending on where you put the eMTA and modem.

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to fnick507

Anon

to fnick507
said by fnick507:

Also to: gar187er ; trythisfirst

I would be better if they had a warehouse or somewhere where you could pick up what you needed or have it sent to you first for special request like mine.

Only problem is now everyone is special, everyone will have a special request. Millions of older inventory is useless as everyone want's this. We don't even carry the 822 yet, but you feel you need it.... I am just using you as an illustration, i mean no ill will about it.

Also tech's are dispatched dynamically based on where they are and how much time they have. So your 1-3 special request order.. I get it about 12:30. There is no time after my lunch to drive across town to the warehouse to pick up a special unit for 1 customer. At this point in time that makes zero sense to do.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by trythisfirst :

Millions of older inventory is useless as everyone want's this. We don't even carry the 822 yet

Yep, that was exactly my point about the TM 722G as a possible solution, as it is something more likely to be in stock.

Everybody...including me...would like the latest and greatest, but it would be unrealistic to expect Comcast to dump perfectly usable modems and eMTAs everytime a new model comes out.

If the TM 822G becomes available as a user-owned option, I'll purchase one, but in the meantime I have no real beef with the rented TM 722G.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to trythisfirst

Premium Member

to trythisfirst
said by trythisfirst :

Only problem is now everyone is special, everyone will have a special request. Millions of older inventory is useless as everyone want's this. We don't even carry the 822 yet,

FWIW, can't figure out how this is your problem. Especially if you get paid by the hour.

I will say KUDOS to you for caring !!!
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
They actually mostly have the opposite problem. It may be different in places where there aren't large, owner-occupied houses where the owners stay for years, but I've seen many, many boxes that people got 5+ years ago and haven't upgraded. Giant clunkers that only output component, SD gear, etc etc.