share rss forum feed

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

Honeypot reveals mass surveillance of BitTorrent downloaders

Ever used BitTorrent to download a song? A book? How about a film or a TV show?

It's highly likely that within 3 hours of doing so, the copyright enforcement people were on to you, monitoring your IP address, according to new research.

Security researcher Tom Chothia and his colleagues at the University of Birmingham, UK, conducted a three-year study that revealed "massive monitoring" of BitTorrent download sites, such as the PirateBay, that's been going on for at least that long.

For the study, researchers developed a fake pirate server: software that acted like a BitTorrent file-sharing client that logged all connections made to it.

Tom Chothia, who led the research, says that popular content downloads were monitored within hours.

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/09···loaders/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Who needs three letter agencies when you have the RIAA/MPAA etc?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Ghosty9543

join:2004-02-26
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

private trackers or usenet

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Exactly... And they need to remind us about themselves time after time.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
said by OZO:

said by StuartMW:

Exactly... And they need to remind us about themselves time after time.

Yep remind us just enough so they can use the excuse to develop more intrusive techniques to monitor and pidgonhole us.
Whilst l'm against pirating myself i do see it becoming the new "broke" Prohibition in the 2000's.

"The "who" is not altogether clear. The researchers were able to identify about 10 monitoring firms logging content, out of which a few could be identified as copyright-enforcement organisations, security firms or even other research labs."

Why the big interest/analysis of such data........?
It certainly is overkill for the "community standards" setting for crime.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by ashrc4:

Whilst l'm against pirating myself i do see it becoming the new "broke" Prohibition in the 2000's.

So am I (against piracy). I'm also against bank robbery but that doesn't mean I want to be scanned/frisked every time I enter a bank branch.

These days the majority increasing has to pay for sins of the minority whether they be pirates/terrorists/whatever. As I've said many times I think its all just an excuse for further control.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!