All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Well I would assume that those "missing buttons" not found on the XR2 remote that are found on the platinum remote wouldn't do anything when used on a STB running the new guide, same as how the page up and page down buttons that were on the various remotes like this one »www.replacementremotes.c ··· 1902.jpg and the silver and platinum remotes,
stopped working for the longest time with the SARA software until the S25 series software rolled out.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

1 edit

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

Well I would assume that those "missing buttons" not found on the XR2 remote that are found on the platinum remote wouldn't do anything when used on a STB running the new guide, same as how the page up and page down buttons that were on the various remotes like this one »www.replacementremotes.c ··· 1902.jpg and the silver and platinum remotes,
stopped working for the longest time with the SARA software until the S25 series software rolled out.

I wouldn't assume that. Comcast can program the X1 guide to respond to a button that is on an older remote but missing from the XR2 remote if it wants to. It may depend on the function of the button. I think removing the functionality of a button on an older remote would just make customers mad without providing Comcast any benefits.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Really depends on the button.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and states that to get On-Screen Guide 2.0 you have to get AnyRoom DVR service which requires a professional installation and STBs with On-Screen Guide 2.0 preloaded. This wasn't clear in his previous blog entries, but it was implied.
quote:
Ted, according to your reply to Dan on 9/21/12, am I correct in saying the only way I can get On-Screen Guide 2.0 is to have my present RNG-200N and three RNG-150's changed by a technician, at the house and also subscribe to Any-Room DVR?

Walter | September 23, 2012 7:00 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-59834
quote:
Yes, that is correct. Also need be in an area that has On-Screen Guide 2.0 available.

This new guide experience is currently available in the areas listed below where we use SA/Cisco-branded cable boxes:

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Minnesota.
New Mexico is also scheduled for this year.

The new On-Screen Guide 2.0 is delivered to our newest cable boxes (both the Cisco RNG 200N and Cisco RNG 150N) via a different and newer protocol and technology (called OCAP or tru2way).

The Cisco RNG boxes that you have in your home today are not assigned to the tru2way mode and can't be easily flipped or changed into that mode and preserve the current DVR recordings, favorites and other user configurable settings which would be an unfavorable customer experience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Walter | September 24, 2012 10:56 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-60004

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

It's official, their idiots.
(unfollows topic)

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

It's official, their idiots.
(unfollows topic)

Seconded...

Cya!
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and states that older STBs may only display limited guide data and should be replaced. Note, this also applies to the SA 2200 which should be replaced with a newer SA or Cisco STB.
quote:
Why does my on-screen TV Listings guide only show programming for at most 6 hours in advance? After that, everything is To Be Announced. How can I improve or fix my TV Listings Guide?

Dwight Oltmanns | September 24, 2012 2:24 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-60017
quote:
@Dwight Oltmanns, I took a look at your account and it looks like you have Motorola DCT 2000 cable boxes. Those are older cable boxes and they do have limited memory capabilities in regards to guide data. In order to get more guide data to display, I would recommend that you exchange your cable boxes for a DCT 700 or anything other than a DCT 2000.

A newer cable box has more memory and will display more days out of guide listings data.

All of our DVRs show about 13-14 days worth of guide data.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Dwight Oltmanns | September 25, 2012 11:51 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-60171