uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Best quote by Karl Bode is

said by iansltx:

Good luck delivering 100 Mbps, uncapped, over wireless. You'd need more spectrum than is currently available for one company to do this, let alone a couple competitors.

Also, I'm (slowly) trying to get the pieces in place to build an ISP. It won't be 100 Mbps symmetric. It won't be uncapped (though for $100 or so per month the plan is that anything less than 1TB per month is fair game...and for $50 enough usage will be given that 90% of folks won't be throttled or charged). However it will be better than the competition, and it won't be asking for subsidies directly (my bandwidth provider might be subsidized via USF...we'll see). The plan is to sell a level of connectivity that I'd be happy using for my own (power user) activities, which is saying something. But your regulation wouldn't allow me to even get started. How's that fair?

LTE 4 may not be able to, but LTE is not finished developing.. it is likely the next speed bump in this evolution will be able to handle 100mbits per customer easily up/down. Also the handset technology is not there yet either.. handsets barely run 20 megabits without chewing up the battery in 30 minutes-- so there are alot of technology hurdles which need to be solved simultaneously for this to work. Also the way the market is overcharging for current bandwidth, it's not likely you will see them be chomping at the bit to replace LTE4 anytime soon-- cellcos like to milk technologies for as long as the consumer keeps paying what they demand.. and the market is saturated with plenty of apathetic customers on both pre & post paid accounts.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

LTE4? What are you talking about? Verizon has LTE Release 8 deployed. Sprint has Release 9, and will have LTE-A online in a year or two. T-Mobile will start with Release 9 as well, and move to LTE-A shortly thereafter. AT&T is probably on Release 8. No LTE4 though.

Also, there's only so much bandwidth that you can cram into one MHz of spectrum with a given signal. LTE is already more susceptible to signal quality based speed fluctuations than, say, EvDO. You can up the modulation to 256QAM, sure, but then you're only increasing speeds by one-third, and you have to be close t the center of the cell to get those speeds. You can go from 2x1 MIMO to 3x3, but where are you going to put a third transmit antenna on a phone?

Sure, you'll be able to hit 100 Mbps per subscriber over channel bonded TD-LTE in 2500MHz in two years' time. However you've seen what Clearwire's coverage is now. It won't be any better in those cases, possibly worse since their network will be a relief network rather than the main event.