Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

Re: Smart Meter Fire Info - PECO Admits Problem, PUC Involved

Grid One, a PECO Contractor just installed a different meter at my home 5 minutes ago. The installer said that in some of the homes where he installed Sensus meters, the boxes were hot to the touch!

I told him I feel safer now.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by Lone Wolf:

Grid One, a PECO Contractor just installed a different meter at my home 5 minutes ago. The installer said that in some of the homes where he installed Sensus meters, the boxes were hot to the touch!

I told him I feel safer now.

Would be interesting to know if the new meter has the same issue after being replaced.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

The installer said the meters he was installing have been used successfully in Maine and Georgia without any problems.

We shall see.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
Were your notified before they came out? I am also a PECO customer, but I still have the Shlumberger remote-read meter they put in about 10 years ago. I just want to be home when they come out. A neighbor across the street had a meter replaced recently (the guy wore a hood, etc.), but it is still a Shlumberger.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

No notification from PECO.

The installer gave me time to turn off all electrical devices before he removed the Sensus meter. He wore a safety vest and hardhat with a face protector. I stood back and watched.

EDIT: I just checked my email and PECO called an old Google Voice number I had and left this message yesterday (Google Voice transcribes voice messages)

Hello, this is Pico calling with important information about the meter on your home, as you're probably aware, we recently upgraded the meter at your property. We have completed an extensive analysis of the data provided to us by each meter, that'd been installed, and based on this analysis within the next week. We will be replacing your meter with a different types to determine if there are differences in how each of your performance. Again, you will experience a brief service interruption typically less than a minute, while we complete this work. We apologize for this inconvenience. If you've any questions, please contact us at 1(855) 741-9011, your safety of all with our top priority and we thank you for your cooperation.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to owlyn

to owlyn

Re: Smart Meter Fire Info - POCO Admits Problem, PUC Involved

I went around my pan with an IR thermometer, found nothing above ambient temp. Seems like a good thing to check now and then, as it's a 60+ year old pan I think.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

Some additional information. PA PUC calls hearing, other states investigating: »www.phillyburbs.com/news ··· f69.html

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by owlyn:

Some additional information. PA PUC calls hearing, other states investigating: »www.phillyburbs.com/news ··· f69.html

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· embedded