spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

doxinho

@cox.net

[LA] Intermittient dropping in NOLA

I have a very serious problemw with my home network that has been happening for months, with some points it going away and other times the problem comes back. Now, the problem has persisted and is unwavering.

This is my home setup.

Router: Linksys E2000 w/ tomato (and used a old Linksys WRT)
Switch: Trendnet Gigabit 16-port (and tried older ASUS 8-port Gigabit)
Modem: Cisco DPC3030 (previously tried two different Motorola SB6121s)

The problem is that I lose connection to the internet intermittently, and it is pretty random when it does happen and how long it happens. Anywhere from every 4 to 50 minutes I lose the connection for 45-180 seconds. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this has been. The devices connected to this setup daily are three Windows 7 systems, 2 Macbooks, 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, a PS3, and an Apple TV. Even before this started happening, the router/setup has handled an additional 5 macbooks, 10 iphones, and other devices. I also have a Synology NAS on the network.

I never lose connection to the router during the drop, and my local network remains online and 100% stable... only the connection to the outside drops. Even after going through so much different hardware the problem persists- I've also disabled wifi on the router, disconnected all but one (and tried separate) devices (both Windows and Mac) to try to see if the problem persists, and it does. And to make all the previous points moot, the same exact problem happens when plugged in directly modem->PC (multiple systems).

Considering the problem happens when directly plugged in with the modem, I don't really know what else to do but to point the blame at Cox, my ISP here in New Orleans (this has nothing to do with Isaac, it was happening before the storm). The only problem is their phone support has left me pretty much with low tiered techs the 2-3 times I've called about this- and only one was maybe willing to call out a tech to take a look at my lines.

Some very knowledgeable people who I have contacted about this issue have suggested that is it is a problem with my blocks node being on the fritz or a problem with the the direct line to my house (or both).

I would really love some support from someone at COX to resolve this issue because I've not been able to utilize my connection efficiently ever since these drops started happening.

Thanks for your help.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

What are your signal levels?

I know you tested modem only connectivity, but I'd recommend you run a ping-t from the same machine (preferably wired) to both a local LAN IP as well as an outside IP. From the sounds of it, the local results should run fine and you should get some timeouts on the external ping.

Once you have that, call Cox and demand L3 tech support. They should be able to comprehend what you are telling them at that point.

It may also be helpful if you have a local executive escalations line like we do in OK. If they send someone out, demand it to be a field supervisor. Have them put the meter on your line and run continuous testing, it should show the drops. It did for my house.

doxinho

@cox.net

First, off- thanks a lot for your response.

said by bchandler02:
What are your signal levels?
Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -1.4 dBmV 39.7 dB
Channel 2: -2.0 dBmV 39.2 dB
Channel 3: -1.7 dBmV 39.2 dB
Channel 4: -2.1 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 45.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

said by bchandler02:
running ping
I've been running this test using MultiPing in order to be able to view when the network is online so I don't bash my face in while trying to load web pages wondering if its the site, or my connection (and it's always my connection). The connection drops while pinging cox.net, but my local network/connection to my router stays online (192.168.1.101).

said by bchandler02:
Once you have that, call Cox and demand L3 tech support. They should be able to comprehend what you are telling them at that point.

It may also be helpful if you have a local executive escalations line like we do in OK. If they send someone out, demand it to be a field supervisor. Have them put the meter on your line and run continuous testing, it should show the drops. It did for my house.

When I call Cox and demand L3, do I just describe the problem in detail as I have here and they will transfer me? I haven't had too much success with this in the past, so I want to make sure I take the right steps. And what exactly is a local executive escalations line?

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to doxinho

Yes. Just overwhelm the L1 with technical stuff and they usually give up and transfer.

I'm not sure how to find your local executive line, but it's a team that handles complex issues and can bypass normal tech channels.

doxinho

join:2012-09-08

said by bchandler02:
I'm not sure how to find your local executive line, but it's a team that handles complex issues and can bypass normal tech channels.

How did you find/contact them in OK?

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

I want to say I called in and just kept raising h3ll until they connected me to them. It's been many years though, so I don't remember for sure.

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to doxinho

Please PM your cable modem MAC address and I will check on this for you.

doxinho

reply to doxinho

Hey, thanks for your help bchandler02. The lovely Cox technician came out and replaced the line to my house, removing my power breaker and putting me at the top of the node as well. Problem seems to be solved... thank you!

doxinho

reply to doxinho

Welp, the drops started happening again this afternoon. No idea what to do but call another cox tech out... so that's what I'm doing now. Any ideas?

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to doxinho

What are your current signal levels after the changes they made?

doxinho

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 1.5 dBmV 41.3 dB
Channel 2: 1.3 dBmV 40.6 dB
Channel 3: 1.4 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 4: 1.1 dBmV 40.3 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Current signals.

The drop was not fixed by the Cox technicians replacing the line from the tap->house box nor house box->modem. The problem continued the day after, however the following week I had only 1 drop per day and an otherwise stable connection.

Over the past month I've seen at least ~6 Cox bucket trucks in the area per day replacing taps and doing all sorts of work... but I have no idea if it is actually connected to my issue. Today, the drops started happening again and are very frequent and long. I called tier1 help desk and they informed me there was a 20% outage in my node and that there was an active "outage". My connection is not "out" but is just dropping like the past, is there anything else I can do?

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA

Please PM your home address and contact number along with current modem MAC address and I will follow up on what can be done on this.