how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dredyns

join:2012-09-08
Princeton, TX

Skybeam Texas does not honor thier sales agreements

I have been with Skybeam Texas since they bought out partnership broadband who bought out DFWAIR who bought out Buzznet......
Early in this trail I found another provider with better rates per megabit in my area. I negotiated a better price with DFWAIR instead of changing providers and was given a non standard plan with a faster speed. Ever since then I have been kicked back down to my original speed every 4 months or so by the billing department who state that my plan doesn't exist an they "had to" move me to a lower speed standard plan closest to what I was paying.

This has been ongoing thru all of the buyouts.It seems that the deals that the sales departments make become unauthorized after roughly each 4 month period. Each time I had to pay a bit more or at the very least spend hours on the phone to get my service back which in the 1st quarter this year required an equipment change. Yesterday was the latest round which ended with another increase by $11 a month just to keep my service the same. I mentioned verbal contracts and they said since my service was "month to month" any special deal that sales made were for that month only and of course that was never mentioned.I had one of the tech staff and a serice tech that were absorbed into the newest "merger / buyout" at that times,tell me how unscrupulous they were. Unfortunately, even if I had heeded these comments as a warning, changing wireless ISP's would have only delayed my costs going up with what appears to be a form of price manipulation.

After a little research it appears to me what is happening is they are buying out their competitors.This allows them to gain a monopoly in the markets. As soon a market area like mine becomes less competitive for them they play this game I have described above. I wonder if brought to the attention of the FTC would this be considered some type of trade violation.

If possible, I would go with ATT, Verizon or such but since I'm rural that is not yet possible. I know these "wired" providers have issues as well but I believe they are under more scrutiny by both the states AG's and the FTC and think they would tend to stay more closely within the legal guidelines.

In any event, just know there are more negative details I have omitted due to time constraints on my part. I just wanted to share my story and let anyone considering SKYBEAM as a provider to beware!

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Probably best to write this all down as a review on DSLReports. That way, more people (looking to use Skybeam as their ISP) will see it.

Unfortunately both Skybeam and KeyOn/SpeedNet (the two big regional WISPs from what I've seen) seem more than willing to throw their customers under the bus as they acquire WISPs across their respective territories. After all, what are you going to do? They've got a captive audience until some other WISP starts up.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to dredyns

said by dredyns:

I mentioned verbal contracts and they said since my service was "month to month" any special deal that sales made were for that month only...

If all you have is a verbal agreement with a former owner, it probably is no longer binding.

Price and level of service can vary considerably from one region to the next. We don't know all of the circumstances that led to the decision to sell. It could be that they couldn't turn a profit at their price point.

I don't see where the new owners need to have a unique package just for you and they are within their rights to put you into one of their standard packages.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to dredyns

1. This is a review and should be posted accordingly.

2. A "verbal contract" expires at the end of the month if you are on a month to month contract as described. That are within their rights to require you to change.

Glazierman

@rshipbroadband.com
reply to dredyns

RUN... RUN FAST... AND DON't LOOK BACK... a piece of string and two cans are better than SKYREAM!!!

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
reply to dredyns

SkyBeam is pretty good here, just freaking expensive at $71/mo.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

Looks like you're on one of their upgraded Cambrian (formerly Motorola) Canopy systems.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by WHT:

Looks like you're on one of their upgraded Cambrian (formerly Motorola) Canopy systems.

I think you mean Cambium. I think I have the PTP 230.

--

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to dredyns

You definitely don't have the PTP 230

WHT

Rosston, TX

1 edit
reply to TheTechGuru

Typical Skybeam CPE ^^^

Err...yeah, Cambium. Stupid spell checker.

Edited to point out this is what I see in my particular area.
Other areas may be running 5.7/5.8 GHz.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

You definitely don't have the PTP 230

Well, what do you think I have considering my speeds and that I know I'm on 5.7 or 5.8 Ghz?
--

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

said by TheTechGuru:

Well, what do you think I have considering my speeds and that I know I'm on 5.7 or 5.8 Ghz?

Based on your picture, the model number of 2400SM indicates that you're actually on 2.4ghz.

»www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Vide···pecs.pdf

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by jcremin:

said by TheTechGuru:

Based on your picture, the model number of 2400SM indicates that you're actually on 2.4ghz.

»www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Vide···pecs.pdf

I have not posted a picture of my unit. Learn to read poster names.
--

jcremin

Siren, WI

said by TheTechGuru:

I have not posted a picture of my unit. Learn to read poster names.

Sorry, honest mistake, scrolled down and thought both posts were one. Don't be an ass about it. Nobody here will want to help you if are snotty like that.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS

Sorry, I'm just annoyed by everything lately. Right now I am unable to take a shower because of a water main break somewhere.
--

jcremin

Siren, WI

Understandable.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to TheTechGuru

no water (or electricity) can piss you off very fast, been there.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

WHT

Rosston, TX
reply to TheTechGuru

No internet...No water...What's next? No electricity?

I'd be more than just annoyed.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by WHT:

No internet...No water...What's next? No electricity?

I'd be more than just annoyed.

Never said no internet. Skybeam has yet to go down on me yet, but I do get occasional connection resets during the night.

I'm pretty much all set to still have internet during a power outage. I have a 12V UPS system for my router and I've made a custom power inserter wire ready to go in the event of a power outage. The tech said just use a 18volt drill battery to power the unit. I used to use my UPS to power internet equipment but that only works with 12volt DSL modems and cable modems, if Canopy were 12volts I would just have it running off my UPS instead of the provided power inserter.
--

WHT

Rosston, TX

Good man...If only all my customers thought that far ahead.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to dredyns

It will run on as low as 9.6VDC. 12 is fine.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by wirelessdog:

It will run on as low as 9.6VDC. 12 is fine.

12 is fine all the time? or only in a power outage situation? The supplied power inserter is 24 volts I think, possibly 36.
--

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

...which comes back to checking what model of link you've got...:)

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to dredyns

Looks like Skybeam's hosted speed test may bypass the service plan speed caps.

--

alancurry

join:2006-10-02
Cedar Park, TX
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

Never said no internet. Skybeam has yet to go down on me yet, but I do get occasional connection resets during the night.

This was the main reason I jumped ship when a new WISP entered the market. I could pretty much pinpoint when a disconnect was going to happen. It was that consistent.

banditz71
Premium
join:2001-04-03
Aubrey, TX
Reviews:
·Speed of Light B..
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

SkyBeam is pretty good here, just freaking expensive at $71/mo.

Where are you located? Our business ( 8 mi W of Sanger ) is currently using SOL Broadband...which has been great, but we're paying $70 for 8 / 2 (residential rate).
--
Phenom II x4 965 / 8GB RAM , AT&T Uverse (24/3)(Home), Speed of Light Broadband (WISP-10/2)(Work) , Network= (3) Win 7, (6) WinXP(SP3), 2Wire/Netgear Routers Home & Work, Firefox / Thunderbird