share rss forum feed

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
reply to yoyomhz

Re: Organic Food.. same as non organic?

said by yoyomhz:

[att=1]

Quick question for you. How hard is it to wash off pesticides? I bought some 50% strawberies yesterday to eat for lunch. I tossed them in a strainer, and washed them with tap water and lightly scrubbed them with my hands before cutting them up and eating them. Is that good enough?

PS, I'm gonna check out that book on the dangers of pesticides, seems like it will be an interesting read.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

yoyomhz

join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA
said by Warez_Zealot:

.... and washed them with tap water and lightly scrubbed them with my hands before cutting them up and eating them. Is that good enough?

A friend of mine was told, by someone who works for the government testing for pesticides - If You Don't Wash Your Produce EVERY TIME - YOU ARE DUMB.

Fungicides historically used for strawberry disease control in Florida include azoxystrobin, boscalid, captan, fenhexamid, myclobutanil, potassium bicarbonate, pyraclostrobin, thiophanate, and thiram . Other fungicides actively registered in Florida in 2010 include Bacillus pumilus, Bacillus subtilis, carbonic acid, copper (in hydroxide, sulfate, oxychloride, and octanoate forms), cyprodinil, dodine, fludioxonil, fosetyl-Al, Gliocladium virens, hydrogen dioxide, iprodione, mefenoxam, phosphoric acid, polyoxin D, propiconazole, Pseudomonas fluorescens, pyrimethanil, quinoxyfen, Reynoutria sachalinensis extract, Streptomyces lydicus, sulfur, Trichoderma harzianum, trifloxystrobin, and triflumizole (11

All those different fungicides for Florida strawberries. No wonder strawberries are #3 on the dirty dozen list. Some of the fungicides are systemic, which means it goes inside the fruit and can't be washed off.