Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MUT308
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Oakland, CA

[Unstable] i7 930 w/ P6X58D-E - preparing for GPU upgrade

Sometime in the next 6 months, and as early as November, I'd like to upgrade to a 2560x1440 27" monitor and a EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
GPU - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130787

Current specs:
P6X58D-E
i7 930 w/ Hyper 212+ w/ two fans
ASUS GTX 460 1GB
18GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600MHz (3x2GB + 3x4GB)
64GB Crucial M300 SSD purchased in 9/10 for OS (Windows) and apps
2TB 7200rpm where I store everything (games, media, etc.)
1TB - misc stuff
1TB - misc stuff
2TB USB 3.0 external - backup of main 2TB

Case has front intake fan, two intake fans on the side panel (one over GPU, the other over CPU), and a rear fan for blowing it all out. Both Hyper 212+ fans blow toward the rear fan.

While I have done a lot of research into overclocking my CPU/RAM, I haven't actually done any more than use MSI Afterburner to give my GTX 460 a boost when playing some games. I just haven't needed to OC.

A few of the games I play/plan to play:
Deus Ex: HR
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars 2 - not yet, but plan to pick this up
Borderlands
Borderlands 2 - will probably pick this up
Portal 2
Trine 2

As I'd like to play games at 60 fps, or as close as I can get with my hardware, with the LCD and GPU upgrade, I think I need to OC my CPU.

You're going to hate me for wanting to OC and saying this, but I don't have the patience to learn the ins and outs of every little detail in my BIOS. I know that everybody's rig is different, but I'd like to find somebody with the same mobo+CPU as me and just copy their settings.

I found what I was looking for in this post on tom's hardware
- »www.tomshardware.com/forum/26011···emp-help

Here are the settings the guy used, and I copied:
Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual] 
CPU Ratio Setting......................[21.0] 
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled] 
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled] 
BCLK Frequency.........................[191] 
PCIE Frequency.........................[100] 
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1531MHz] 
UCLK Frequency.........................[3063MHz] 
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto] 

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual] 
CPU Voltage............................[1.23125] 
CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.80] 
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.21875] 
IOH Voltage............................[1.14] 
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50] 
ICH Voltage............................[1.20] 
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50] 
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.64] 
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto] 
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto] 
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto] 
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto] 
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto] 
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto] 

Load-Line Calibration..................[Enabled] 
CPU Differential Amplitude.............[800mV] 
CPU Clock Skew.........................[Delay 300ps] 
CPU Spread Spectrum....................[Disabled] 
IOH Clock Skew.........................[Auto] 
PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[Disabled] 

C1E Support............................[Disabled] 
Hardware Prefetcher....................[Enabled] 
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch...........[Enabled] 
Intel(r) Virtualization Tech...........[Disabled] 
CPU TM Function........................[Enabled] 
Execute Disable Bit....................[Enabled] 
Intel(r) HT Technology.................[Enabled] 
Active Processor Cores.................[All] 
A20M...................................[Disabled] 
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled] 
Intel(r) C-STATE Tech..................[Disabled] 

I copied his settings into my BIOS, booted into Windows, and realtemp shows me running at about 50 Celsius idle (low to mid 30s before OC) I fired up Prime95's torture test w/ blend, and after about 2 minutes, I got a BSOD. My CPU was at about 90 degrees during the test.

I kinda sorta understand that I need to lower my CPU Voltage little by little until I can run Prime95 for 6 hours without a BSOD, but I'm not sure if this means editing a single value in the BIOS or editing multiple values. Any thoughts on "Ai Overclock Tuner" being set to Manual vs X.M.P.?

Ultimate goal: Run games coming out this year on my hardware at as close to 60 fps as possible at max settings after picking up the GTX 670 listed above and a 2560x1440 27" monitor. I don't expect to be able to do more than 4xAA, but I would like to have AA on. Thoughts on this?

Bonus question: Would I want to leave my GTX 460 in a secondary PCI-E slot to run my existing 1920x1080 27" and 1680x1050 20" as a 2nd and 3rd monitor or would I want to use up 3 ports on the GTX 670? I plan to game on a single monitor without using 3D.

--
SSDTweaks.net - Optimizing your SSD for Windows - »ssdtweaks.net

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
My i7-920 and GTX 580 have no problem running on my 27" 1440p monitor.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to MUT308
And yes, use a secondary GPU or USB dongle to run your second/third monitor to take stress off your main GPU.

I have a GTX 580 running my 27", and a HIS MULTI-VIEW II DVI ADP USB adapter to power my 20" alt monitor.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

MUT308
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Oakland, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
Good point, Krisnath! I may as well give the GTX 670 and 1440p monitor a chance before I see if I need to overclock.
--
SSDTweaks.net - Optimizing your SSD for Windows - »ssdtweaks.net

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to MUT308
A bit late to this, but I figured I'd post in case the OP happens to see it.

IMO, with that heatsink, CPU, and voltages, there should be no way that you're hitting those temperatures. My 920 would get into the mid-upper 80s with the CPU at about 1.3v, QPI/DRAM (aka memory controller) at about 1.38v, and was perfectly stable and happy there. My 920 was a launch model C0 stepping, with those voltages it only hit 3.7 GHz. All 930s are D0 stepping, so it's likely you could hit 4 GHz without touching any voltages. I was using this heatsink, which I think is pretty close in performance to the Hyper 212+. Maybe try cleaning off and reapplying the thermal paste.

If you're fine with the extra complexity, heat, noise, and power draw (not much of the last three I suppose) of the GTX 460, leave it in there. You could always offload PhysX to it as well.

Borderlands 1/2 should run pretty good, Portal 2 as well. From what I've noticed with Trine, it was very shader heavy and pushed my Radeon 6970 hard. I'd imagine 2 is similar in that regard. No idea about GW2 or Deus Ex. With WoW, make sure you run it in DirectX 11 mode if you're not already. You'll get a nice increase in performance.
--
KI6RIT