Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

[Parts Check] Budget non-gaming build

I'm looking to build a new PC and figured you guys would be the people to ask to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'll be using the PC for the basic multi-tasking, plus some video re-encoding. Nothing really strenuous. I'm not going to be gaming, so I didn't add a video card. I might upgrade at some point in the future for some light (single-card) gaming though. I'm hoping to be able to use this PC for a while.

I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, case, PCI sound card, and 550w PSU (listed at the end)
I'll use my current Sata drives for storage.

MB: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157296
(it comes with a free 60GB SSD: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20227725)
CPU: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504
RAM: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231548
SSD: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20227737
PSU: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17341022

I'll be buying a copy of Windows 7 64-bit and a few other bits and pieces from newegg.

Anything I should be concerned about? Something I could be doing differently?
Thanks guys.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Save money and get a non-K Ivy bridge (like the i5-3450) or an i3 CPU. No need for a super-powerful processor if you aren't doing crazy-intensive tasks.

Ditch the "gaming" branded PSU and go with a basic Seasonic, Corsair, or Rosewill.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

I already have the PSU, I got it cheap a while ago when the previous PSU died. It was a spur-of-the-moment buy.

I was thinking about this particular CPU because I would like to be using this PC for at least a couple of years, and I might upgrade to a dedicated video card in the future (six months maybe) for gaming. I figured I might as well get a beefy CPU now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

The only thing I wonder in this build, why 2 x 60GB SSD's?
What are you going to use for storage etc?
I'd almost buy a WD black and have storage, but it still depends all on your needs.

If you have NAS, external or any other type, I'd almost ask on whether you could source 2 of the SSD's (in a package of course) and raid them, but this is all toying with ideas - what are your needs?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

The Motherboard comes with the second (Agility) SSD for free.
I actually don't need it for anything in particular, as I have a couple of regular SATA drives for media storage (mp3's, e-books, small videos) and a totally separate, non-PC system for movies.

But now that you mention it, I might change the MB. This one comes with 8GB of RAM very similar to the RAM I was going to get separately. The timings are slightly different.
I lose the free (Agility) SSD that I wouldn't be using anyway, and end up saving around $30 with the more expensive motherboard.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157293

Thanks.
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback

2 edits

1 recommendation

Looking at that next board, it has a 8+4 power phase versus 4+2, and Broadcom over Realtek LAN, pity you didn't get Intel LAN instead. Though you do loose 1 PCI slot, I'd hardly worry on that as you're not looking at dual graphics cards or anything.

But 2 x SSD's I think is just a waste, this way you can use the $30 and get one of these or something similar, doubling the SSD size and newer technology?
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20227791
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Rook008

Although I like where it is going, you did mention budget, and all that gear is a little overkill. For the others here, as you mentioned saving $30, it is of concern to you.

Motherboard, cpu, ram and an SSD what is the maximum dollar value for the package? It will help others help your needs.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Rook008

I was budgeting around $600 for CPU, MB, RAM, SSD, 2 DVD Burners, and a copy of Win7 64 bit.

It might look like overkill, but I don't plan on changing MB, CPU, or SSD for a few years at least. And I might add a Video card in 6 months or so to do some gaming.

I wasn't looking to get 2 SSD's, it just happened that the first MB came with one free. I've since dropped that MB though.

That looks like a good SSD. 128GB and pretty fast. Thanks.

So far I feel pretty good with this:

MB: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157293
RAM (Free with MB): »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231546
CPU: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504
SSD: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20227791
--

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

1 recommendation

IMHO, based upon what you described for your needs I think this will do you better and it's cheaper.

MD - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130649

Any of these CPUs:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19106009
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19103962
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19106010

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

Wow, I never even considered an AMD setup.
I'm going to go look around newegg.

Thanks for the suggestion.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 recommendation

Yep, they can do just as well, but for the "i" series Intel cpu, most new boards utilize the cpu graphics, so before you commit to this project:

1. Check if the motherboard has a graphics chipset if you go with Amd, otherwise a card will be required.
2. a)Intel maybe a little dearer, but the Intel® HD Graphics may out the Amd if you need to look at an external to cpu graphics solution.
b)LucidLogix Virtu MVP technology is not available with Amd cpus if you do get a graphics card later, but also check the motherboard to see if it is compatible, most are now though.
3. Benchmark the cpu before spending
»www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
»www.hardwarecanucks.com/charts/
»www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288

Not trying to turn you away from bbear2 See Profile comment, just providing info that allows you to make an informed choice when you commit to spending the ca$h.
--

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
reply to Rook008

There is no substitute for doing your research to ensure you know what you are getting. Another site that I use is: »www.cpu-world.com/

Expand your moderator at work

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Rook008

Re: [Parts Check] Budget non-gaming build

Talk to DarkRealm See Profile for a CPU/MB/RAM combo and save yourself about $200-250. I've gotten 5-6 from him so far.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to Rook008

AMD can be fine for what you want to do. I would not consider anything more than i3 for Intel. Just got my mom a Sempron PC and it should be her last PC. The new PC replaced her Barton core AMD t-bird she ran for at least 3 years.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Rook008

If you care about encoding speed, utilizing "Quick Sync" with the i3/i5 is a bonus. AMD has something similar (AVIVO) but I think it's slower IIRC.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to bbear2

said by bbear2:

IMHO, based upon what you described for your needs I think this will do you better and it's cheaper.

MD - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130649

Any of these CPUs:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19106009
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19103962
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19106010

I’m not going to disagree with this suggestion. However, I will recommend that one compare the price between the suggested hardware above and the configuration the OP started the thread with:

ASRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard - $109.99 (plus free 60GB SSD with ~ $60 value)

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge - $229.99

Total = $339.98 (plus free SSD)

Compared to:

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 - $167.99

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz - $119.99

Total = $289.98

However, you would still need to add the price of the otherwise free SSD at about $59.99 for a final total of: $349.97 for the AMD solution.

So in this case using the cheapest AMD processor solution suggested above actually cost more then the Intel solution / deal at Newegg.

Going AMD is certainly a reasonable option but typically it should be a cheaper option.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rook008

OK guys.
So far I've decided against an AMD setup.
To me, Intel CPUs offer a better integrated video option. Intel HD Graphics 4000 should do for now, and Quick Sync is a bonus. And it turns out I'm a fan of Intel.
(That AMD FX-8150 looks like a real beast though)

And I know it seems like overkill with the i5 3570k, but I'm looking for a bit of future-proofing. Plus, I'll probably get a video card down the road and do a little gaming.
I don't buy a new PC often, and the beefy CPU will hopefully last a long while. (As an example, the last time I built a PC it was a P4 2.8Ghz Northwood socket 478 CPU with 2GB of RAM.)

Thanks for the suggestions and tips.
So far, this is my lineup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4Ghz Ivy Bridge($230) »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504
MB: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ($135) »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157293
RAM: G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 4GBx2 (Free) »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231546
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SATA 3 ($100) »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20227791

I'll pick up a couple of DVD burners, and I already have a 550w PSU, 5.1 sound card, and PC case.

Any other suggestions or tips, please don't hesitate to post.

--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Looks good.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Rook008

For $465 for hardware and only a couple of DVD players it looks like it is going to be quite a reasonable setup.

CPU - going back to a sandy bridge - HD3000 to save $10 isn't worth it. i3 won't overclock like the 'K'.

Motherboard - Going ASUS is going to cost a lot for for not a lot and MSI unless things have changed, bios updates are a pain when related to how easy others are (could be wrong). Seems quite a good over-all selection. Not really sure on Gigabyte.

A cooler for overclocking might be worth it, but then you can run it for a few months and then update the cooler to O/C. Not sure how the RAM will go, but you aren't trying to have it set at peak performance. Prices for RAM aren't big, so if you want to hit peaks, just waiting for a reasonable discount after Xmas when it all drops could be a good place to sort performance mods if you are itching to test what you have.

I think you could save $100 to $200 if you wanted budget, but it seems just a solid genuine middle of the road setup, that you can still play with and not break the bank.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Yeah, I figured that if I did want to play games with it, I'd need a video card and maybe update from the stock cooler. Maybe try some slight overclocking to see what happens.

I checked out some different MB brands like Asus, Intel, Gigabyte, and MSI, but for the money, the Asrock had more features that I wanted (lots of Sata ports, UEFI, USB 3, a PCI slot, etc.).
--

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
reply to Rook008

The only thing you might consider is popping the RAM up to 16GB. It sounds stupid I know but RAM prices will never be cheaper and that will give that nice CPU all the RAM it will ever need.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Talk to DarkRealm See Profile for a CPU/MB/RAM combo and save yourself about $200-250. I've gotten 5-6 from him so far.

Agree'd. I built my mom an i7 with 16GB Ram doing this and was maybe $260 or so.