53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb to ez2cy

Premium Member

to ez2cy

Re: [WIN7] Program being blocked?

Picture #1

Picture #2
Sorry it took a few days, but I did get around to testing this again.

Instead of unplugging my network cable, I set my firewall up to block everything by default. So, unless I explicitly opened a port (like 80 to browse the web), nothing was going out to the internet from my machine. I then closed down all my applications, so that the only thing that should access the internet was this game.

I then cleared my logs, and was set to test.

I ran the application, and I got the grayish box with the clock in the middle for a few seconds. Then, that went away and I got the "Finding Servers" box. That stayed on the screen for at least 3 to 5 minutes. Then, I got the box that I'm showing in this post as Picture #1.

When I looked at my firewall logs, I noticed the following destination IP was being logged: 200.26.205.38. The port it wanted open was 443, which is for HTTPS.

I then went and allowed Port 443, and tried again.

Same scenario as the first time, but at the end, I got a different box. This one is shown in Picture #2.

I then went and looked at my firewall logs, and noticed the following destination IP's being logged.

They all wanted to use port # 8148.

I then went and allowed port 8148 to have access through the firewall.

Once I did that, the game loaded without problem, and no new logs were generated.

So, it appears to me that somehow, both Port 443 and 8148 are being blocked on your system. Depending on what is actually installed, it may be some effort to track that down.

But, from what I can tell, if those ports are not open, the game will not load.

--Brian

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I would bet that when you uninstalled it did not remove everything it should from the registry and there is a conflict. Do they have a special program to uninstall or clean the registry afterwards.
ez2cy
join:2008-03-05

ez2cy to plencnerb

to plencnerb
Thanks for your effort.

You get one more step than I did though. I never get anything but the grey box with clock in it for brief few seconds and then nothing.

No idea how to check ports.
ez2cy

ez2cy to Hank

to Hank
I have a program I believe. I have one that will clean registaries. don't think I've done it right after the unistall, but do it regularly.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to ez2cy

Premium Member

to ez2cy
said by ez2cy:

Thanks for your effort.

You get one more step than I did though. I never get anything but the grey box with clock in it for brief few seconds and then nothing.

No idea how to check ports.

No problem. I'm always glad to help out.

As far as you not getting as far as me, there is another question that I though of, and something I did not test. Is the account you are using to run the game part of the local administrator group, or is it a standard user account? I'm thinking maybe a rights issue, but if it was, I would think you would see the standard Windows 7 pop up box asking for a username / password (the program should not just quit). But, I have seen cases where rights were an issue, and things did just stop working. Short version of a long story is I was writing a VB program to create an excel file with data....part of the process was to copy a template file to the actual file name, open the real file, and populate the data. Due to permissions, part of that process did not work. I never got an error message, but whatever account the VB app was running under did not have the proper permissions to do the actions I wanted. Moving the files to a place where I had permissions fixed the problem (or running everything as the local administrator).

So, that is why I asked about the account, and what permissions you have. In my case, I am using a local account (not the administrator), but I am part of the administrators group.

As far as how to check ports, that would depend on what software firewall(s) you are running (Windows Firewall, AVG, Norton, etc, etc), as well as what make/model of Router you have.

Didn't you say a few posts back that you installed the program on another computer in your house and it worked fine? If that is the case, then I don't think your router would be blocking it..it has to be something local on your own computer. If my memory is correct on this, then I'm leaning towards a software program doing the blocking of the port (if that indeed is the problem). While I don't know for sure, but I have heard stories on here where people had a software firewall installed on their PC, did not like it, and did an uninstall...however, something was left behind (reg key, files, etc) and it still was somewhat running and causing issues. So, we may have to figure out what firewall / AV software you had, and verify that all traces of it have been removed (services, reg keys, files, folders, etc).

--Brian
ez2cy
join:2008-03-05

ez2cy

I run the puter as admin. Always have and it worked before.

I don't have anything that I know of for an AV or Firewall etc. that I deleted, ie tried and didn't like.

I did do a security clean up though this site and the guys.?????