Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mospaw

Re: One reason why i hate installers!

said by Mospaw:

»www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Scrubs it clean. I do it once a month and after uninstalls.

CCleaner is definitely a reputable program but cleaning the registry to improve performance is a debunked myth unless you are troubleshooting a problem and suspect orphaned registry entries.

»lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking···ng-myths

It's usually harmless to do though and if it makes you feel better carry on.

Dave

EDITL Added Lifehacker link.
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Xioden

Indeed my friend....... DEFRAGGING is quite good! (And faster doesnt mean better when defragging)

I use the defrag program that came with Windows... I tried using WinME's defrag and i notice it goes TOO FAST and misses some stuff... (Its not as good as 98's defrag)

Speed is not something you should want when DEFRAGGING,you want a good job done!!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to BigBlarg

said by BigBlarg:

I never cleaned my registers

It's important. The CPU has several registers, and when you shut down the computer, they are left containing whatever crap was last there.

You should always run a program to zero out all registers after system shutdown, otherwise it's harder for the CPU to write new values into them.

It's the same principle as erasing a blackboard now and then. Or at least, I think it is.

The same is true of RAM. It takes more effort to write on top of words that aren't zero; the computer has to press harder on the RAM chips.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1

1 edit

If that's the case, the computer would only benefit from cleaning the registers for the first few minutes it runs.

Edit : And defrag is done in the background since XP I think.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to NormanS

Re:  

said by NormanS:

I recently had a case of "slow browsing"; similar to a saturated upload. Ran a number of diagnostics, but found no evidence of mystery applications uploading stuff. It finally hit me, after a 'tracert' failed for trying to trace to an IPv6 address: I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish a '6in4' tunnel to HE. Apparently, the TCP/IP stack decided I was on a pure IPv6 network, and was trying to resolve AAAA records (IPv6) before falling back to A records (IPv4).

I doubt if a registry cleaner could have fixed that.

It wouldn't have. It wouldn't have have added air to a tire with a slow leak, or fixed a squeaky door either.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Dude111

I use all 4 of Piriform's free apps quite regular especially CCleaner.
Defraggler is nice.
Speccy is good.
CCleaner is awesome.
Recuva is brilliant.

In fact I like them so much I install them on some customers PC's and tell them they should use them.

While Registry Cleaning may be a bit of Snake Oil pitches and sales. I do like to clean it out if I have done a lot of free ware experimenting.
CCleaner is not mainly a Registery cleaner by the way. It is a Temp Folders and History Cleaner.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

I opened regseeker tonight and searched for CLSID in the reg and i went to that branch,went thru all the IDs and i had a few "Value not set" so i googled them and discovered I dont have the programs that are assigned to them anymore.. (Regvac and something else) so i deleted them..... Then i ran regseeker and it found a couple now INVALID ACTIVE-X ENTRIES (Since the keys are now gone that reffered to them)

Responsible reg cleaning helps performance (I guess thats why some ppl just reinstall thier OS now and then right?? (They think its easier than manually cleaning the reg))

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Dude111:

Responsible reg cleaning helps performance (I guess thats why some ppl just reinstall thier OS now and then right?? (They think its easier than manually cleaning the reg))

May be true for Windows 9x systems; but I've had no performance issues with Windows XP or Windows 7 which could be attributed to "gunk" in the registry. I only reinstalled Windows 7 to go from x64 to x86, and then only because hardware limitations made x64 pretty useless.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

Its all pretty interesting Norm!!!!

How would 98,XP respond if they didnt have a reg?? (If every file had its settings LOCALLY in its folder)

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Not meaning to De-Rail this post...
...but I think I've found Dude111 See Profile's long lost clock!

And now back to our regularly scheduled post.....
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Dude111

I tried using jv16 PowerTools once to clean the Registry. Even though I had it set to Beginner mode which they claimed was there so one couldn't mess up the registry, it did anyway. Oh Well, Xubuntu 12.04's nice.
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to NormanS

Re:  

said by NormanS:

May be true for Windows 9x systems; but I've had no performance issues with Windows XP or Windows 7 which could be attributed to "gunk" in the registry. I only reinstalled Windows 7 to go from x64 to x86, and then only because hardware limitations made x64 pretty useless.

In my case, I went from x86 to x64 and gave the 7 x86 to my roommate.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

How would 98,XP respond if they didnt have a reg?? (If every file had its settings LOCALLY in its folder)

I am only saying I have never had a performance hit caused by a "dirty" registry.

I reinstalled windows ME a couple of times due to an issue with the Norton Utilities "System Doctor"; before I found out from the gurus in the old Windows newsgroups that it was Norton screwing things up. I did use the NU registry cleaner on that system, but eventually gave it up when I realized two things:

• I was mostly blowing away MRU lists.
• I was not getting any better performance for doing that.

I reinstalled Windows XP exactly once; after I realized I had screwed up the Windows 7 upgrade install. I basically did that to "reset" the computer to its pre-upgrade state so I could start the upgrade process over. I did not install NU under XP, and never used a registry cleaner. Never had a performance issue due to a "dirty" registry.

I reinstalled Windows 7 exactly once. When I noticed that Windows 7 x64 was still seeing only 3.5GB of 4.0GB of installed RAM. Some research pointed to HP "cheaping out", and using a chipset which only had 4.0GB of address lines, max. So I figured there wasn't much I was gaining, and I had a couple of older applications, and one hardware device driver, which didn't work under x64, but did under x86; so I reverted. Never had a performance issue due to a "dirty" registry.

So a little more research and figured it out: Performance issues can be caused by many things, but not by a "dirty" registry.

BTW, 40tude Dialog, all GRC utilities I have used don't place any registry settings, as far as I am aware, and run just fine.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

said by NormanS:

In my case, I went from x86 to x64 and gave the 7 x86 to my roommate.

It is my understanding that my license was to use, "either x64, or use x86"; but not both simultaneously. It was a three-pack, meaning I could install on up to three computers. Not on six.
--
Norman

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Xioden

I got games. I play them. I also frequently load up some large files--truecrypt file-based volume, movies, etc.

I also defragged a friend's laptop after three years of neglect. No improvement.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

said by sivran:

I got games. I play them. I also frequently load up some large files--truecrypt file-based volume, movies, etc.

I also defragged a friend's laptop after three years of neglect. No improvement.

Stuff like movies you won't notice unless it's extremely bad, since players use buffers. Disable buffering and if the movie is fragmented enough you will have issues viewing it without pauses.

After 3 years of neglect, fragmented files is probably the least of the issues with your friends laptop, or the fragmentation isn't that bad.

Defragmenting will also only yield better load times if the files that are being loaded are fragmented, as well as how they are fragmented. You take a 1GB file, and slip in a 24KB file at the 500MB mark, thus fragmenting the file into 2 pieces, there won't really be any performance hit beyond 1-2ms. Now split that file up all over the drive to where for a single file it has to basically go over the entire disk platter...

Defragmenting can absolutely improve loading times, and oftentimes not just by miniscule amounts. It's not even remotely comparable to registry cleaning.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX

I think people suffer a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to these things.

That laptop's hard drive was a near-solid mass of yellow (fragged) in MyDefrag.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY

Again, just because a file is fragmented does not mean there is going to be a large performance hit due to it.

Having shown quite a few people how to defrag specific files for games so that they are all in the same location on the hard drive has resulted in massive load time reductions for some of them (talking 5+ minute load times down to under a minute).

There is no "confirmation bias" either, you can readily measure the read time of files before and after defragmenting them.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX

Got a utility for measuring read times?

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Then you would have what happened with Win 3.1 and Win95. Programs could take full control of the machine and run amok even screwing with other programs. Not only that, even lazy developers could sell ya broken software that you would have to fix yourself. Remember the days of just clicking the mouse or a simple keystroke could crash the system?

Win95 was mostly a GUI upgrade and an introduction to the registry. Win98 was the underlying improvements and finally force developers into doing things right.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

How about good old Windows 2000?

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Cthen

And yet, keeping your settings with your program is making a comeback so to speak--in the form of "portable" software.

Most of my daily-use apps are portable. Portable versions of Opera, Firefox, Q-Dir, Thunderbird... I can reinstall my OS or stuff 'em all on a flash drive and pick right back up where I left off.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Dude111

Ah yes, the final lock down all the way around. In that one software developers did fine for the most part but the hardware vendors got pissed that they couldn't be lazy anymore with the drivers.
--

Cthen

Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to sivran

Re:  

said by sivran:

And yet, keeping your settings with your program is making a comeback so to speak--in the form of "portable" software.

Most of my daily-use apps are portable. Portable versions of Opera, Firefox, Q-Dir, Thunderbird... I can reinstall my OS or stuff 'em all on a flash drive and pick right back up where I left off.

Yes but now, it still has to go through the OS for what it can't do. It can't just hijack the whole machine without an exploit of some sort.
--

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY
reply to sivran

»www.hdtune.com/

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

They leave crap all over your registry!! -- Even if you uninstall the program,the install keys,etc are still there on some!!!

I found 28 entries under install (components) to programs i dont have anymore,couldnt believe it..... Things i had gotton rid of long ago!!

Its always good to keep your reg as clean as can be

I prefer stand alone EXE's .. No crap in the reg! (Or very little if there is)

I have done ALOT OF REG CLEANING lately..... Last week i checked UNINSTALL and found 2 entries...

You can help prevent anything from being left over BEFORE you install one of those hard to remove programs when you use a service such as Revo Uninstaller Pro. It monitors and records what is being added, modified, and changed on your system during the install (registry, files and folders) so you can undo all those changes after the install. I also allow it to record changes after the install by launching the program I've just installed by Revo Pro and customizing it. It's very powerful and it works every time on those programs that never remove themselves 100%. It's not required on all programs, but for some that have poorly written installers it's fantastic! It's kind of like a "preventative" measure... So now I don't have to use those "Registry Cleaners" nearly as often.
EDIT: It will also search out and remove programs that were installed with Windows Installer, or any other third party installer. Even a broken installation can be completly and safely removed. And no... I don't work for Revo... I just love their products because they get the job done right the first time! Or in a lot of other cases... the 2nd time.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
reply to NormanS

Re:  

said by NormanS:

said by Dude111:

I reinstalled windows ME a couple of times due to an issue with the Norton Utilities "System Doctor"; before I found out from the gurus in the old Windows newsgroups that it was Norton screwing things up.

Wow.
I honestly would have thought it was Windows Me that was screwing things up.
And you say you "RE-installed" Windows Me...? Why? j/k lol
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Dustyn:

I honestly would have thought it was Windows Me that was screwing things up.

One particular component of NU was creating hundreds of zero byte files. I was told how to manually delete the files, as well as to not use that component. If I had researched the cause of the problem from the beginning, I could have recovered without the re-install.

I played with a relative's Winows 98se box. In only one regard could I see a difference; and in that regard (user resources) I found Windows Me to be superior.
--
Norman