How about good old Windows 2000?

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Cthen

And yet, keeping your settings with your program is making a comeback so to speak--in the form of "portable" software.

Most of my daily-use apps are portable. Portable versions of Opera, Firefox, Q-Dir, Thunderbird... I can reinstall my OS or stuff 'em all on a flash drive and pick right back up where I left off.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Dude111

Re: One reason why i hate installers!

Ah yes, the final lock down all the way around. In that one software developers did fine for the most part but the hardware vendors got pissed that they couldn't be lazy anymore with the drivers.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to sivran

Re:  

said by sivran:

And yet, keeping your settings with your program is making a comeback so to speak--in the form of "portable" software.

Most of my daily-use apps are portable. Portable versions of Opera, Firefox, Q-Dir, Thunderbird... I can reinstall my OS or stuff 'em all on a flash drive and pick right back up where I left off.

Yes but now, it still has to go through the OS for what it can't do. It can't just hijack the whole machine without an exploit of some sort.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
reply to sivran

»www.hdtune.com/

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to Dude111

Re: One reason why i hate installers!

said by Dude111:

They leave crap all over your registry!! -- Even if you uninstall the program,the install keys,etc are still there on some!!!

I found 28 entries under install (components) to programs i dont have anymore,couldnt believe it..... Things i had gotton rid of long ago!!

Its always good to keep your reg as clean as can be

I prefer stand alone EXE's .. No crap in the reg! (Or very little if there is)

I have done ALOT OF REG CLEANING lately..... Last week i checked UNINSTALL and found 2 entries...

You can help prevent anything from being left over BEFORE you install one of those hard to remove programs when you use a service such as Revo Uninstaller Pro. It monitors and records what is being added, modified, and changed on your system during the install (registry, files and folders) so you can undo all those changes after the install. I also allow it to record changes after the install by launching the program I've just installed by Revo Pro and customizing it. It's very powerful and it works every time on those programs that never remove themselves 100%. It's not required on all programs, but for some that have poorly written installers it's fantastic! It's kind of like a "preventative" measure... So now I don't have to use those "Registry Cleaners" nearly as often.
EDIT: It will also search out and remove programs that were installed with Windows Installer, or any other third party installer. Even a broken installation can be completly and safely removed. And no... I don't work for Revo... I just love their products because they get the job done right the first time! Or in a lot of other cases... the 2nd time.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
reply to NormanS

Re:  

said by NormanS:

said by Dude111:

Its all pretty interesting Norm!!!!

How would 98,XP respond if they didnt have a reg?? (If every file had its settings LOCALLY in its folder)

I reinstalled windows ME a couple of times due to an issue with the Norton Utilities "System Doctor"; before I found out from the gurus in the old Windows newsgroups that it was Norton screwing things up.

Wow.
I honestly would have thought it was Windows Me that was screwing things up.
And you say you "RE-installed" Windows Me...? Why? j/k lol
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Dustyn:

I honestly would have thought it was Windows Me that was screwing things up.

One particular component of NU was creating hundreds of zero byte files. I was told how to manually delete the files, as well as to not use that component. If I had researched the cause of the problem from the beginning, I could have recovered without the re-install.

I played with a relative's Winows 98se box. In only one regard could I see a difference; and in that regard (user resources) I found Windows Me to be superior.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum