Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

2 edits

19579823 (banned)

One reason why i hate installers!

They leave crap all over your registry!! -- Even if you uninstall the program,the install keys,etc are still there on some!!!

I found 28 entries under install (components) to programs i dont have anymore,couldnt believe it..... Things i had gotton rid of long ago!!

Its always good to keep your reg as clean as can be

I prefer stand alone EXE's .. No crap in the reg! (Or very little if there is)

I have done ALOT OF REG CLEANING lately..... Last week i checked UNINSTALL and found 2 entries...

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

Mospaw

»www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Scrubs it clean. I do it once a month and after uninstalls.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

I hear ya buddy!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823

Re: One reason why i hate installers!

said by 19579823:

Why?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Well to keep things as easy for your computer as they can be for one

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by 19579823:

Well to keep things as easy for your computer as they can be for one

My computers have always been easy. No snakeoil needed!
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

CCleaner program is not snake oil, but "registry cleaners" can be categorized as such.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by PrntRhd:

CCleaner program is not snake oil, but "registry cleaners" can be categorized as such.

I don't know what else CCleaner does; only ever see it mentioned in the context of registry cleaning.

Supposedly a registry "gunked up" with orphan entries slows things down. I have no empirical evidence in support of that claim. I recently had a case of "slow browsing"; similar to a saturated upload. Ran a number of diagnostics, but found no evidence of mystery applications uploading stuff. It finally hit me, after a 'tracert' failed for trying to trace to an IPv6 address: I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish a '6in4' tunnel to HE. Apparently, the TCP/IP stack decided I was on a pure IPv6 network, and was trying to resolve AAAA records (IPv6) before falling back to A records (IPv4).

I doubt if a registry cleaner could have fixed that. Not even certain about CCleaner. But MS includes a nifty utility, at least since Windows XP. I just ran System Restore to a point prior to my failed attempt to create a 6in4 tunnel. All is now back to normal.

John2Jonnie
No Defeat ~ No Surrender
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11
NJ

2 recommendations

John2Jonnie to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by 19579823:

Why?

Why?? Why you ask????

Why to keep that 80's minty fresh smell is why I tells ya!

AndandoPaleo
join:2012-06-21
outer limits

AndandoPaleo

Your teeth will be whiter, too!

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Registry entries used to be better in the 80s.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

1 recommendation

psafux to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

Re:  

said by NormanS:

I don't know what else CCleaner does; only ever see it mentioned in the context of registry cleaning.

Supposedly a registry "gunked up" with orphan entries slows things down.

In theory yes. In practicality its a very miniscule amount - an amount that any system built in the last 5 or 6 years is easily able to overcome with near total transparency to the user. It's the same basis with which programmers write (or should write) their code, to be as efficient on resources as possible. It stemmed from the good old days when the processors were slow & inefficient. A modern processor running through an extra 100 lines of code is quite different than it's elderly counterpart running the same code 15+ years ago.

On a sidenote, CCleaner has quite a few handy features aside from registry cleaning. It supports temp file cleaning and provides an environment from which to uninstall applications or remove the entries to those applications from add/remove (in the semi-common case of the program listed but already removed). The same can be done through the Windows registry but CCleaner has a clean interface which avoids issues related to removing wrong registry values. It also has 'secure delete' functionality among other things.

I have used CCleaner for years, I have never had it bork a system and I have never had a customer / friend / family member had a borked system from using it. The same cannot be said about Registry Mechanic, et al.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

PrntRhd to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
NormanS,

Read what psafux posted.

You have to look under Tools in CCleaner to even find the registry cleaner, it is not CCleaner's primary purpose.
CCleaner is a great free utility program that cleans installers and temp files left on the system after badly behaved installers have finished loading programs, something that is all too common.

Registry cleaners have risks, remove just one incorrectly targeted DLL and you just hosed the Windows installation.
The registry cleaner in CCleaner always prompts the user to back up the registry in case something goes badly.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to 19579823

to 19579823

I never cleaned my registers :/

and yet, my computer still feels as fast as when I had installed Windows on it...

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Revo Uninstaller works for me besides CCleaner. I use both in my arsenal of utilities.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Does that scan the reg for keys to programs that you dont have anymore?? (In the INSTALL section)

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to 19579823

to 19579823

To counter your problem, may I present to you, our very own, Ccleaner and another rising star..TuneUp utilities.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to psafux

Premium Member

to psafux

Re:  

I have a similar experience with defragging. Minuscule--if any--benefit.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823

Yep. It bugs me to hell. I have to think twice before installing a new app

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran

Re:  

said by sivran:

I have a similar experience with defragging. Minuscule--if any--benefit.

If you're just checking email or browsing the web sure. When you go to play a game that's trying to load a couple gigs of data that is split up in 500 places around the hard drive it can begin to make a pretty noticeable difference.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Mospaw

to Mospaw

said by Mospaw:

»www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Scrubs it clean. I do it once a month and after uninstalls.

CCleaner is definitely a reputable program but cleaning the registry to improve performance is a debunked myth unless you are troubleshooting a problem and suspect orphaned registry entries.

»lifehacker.com/5033518/d ··· ng-myths

It's usually harmless to do though and if it makes you feel better carry on.

Dave

EDITL Added Lifehacker link.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Xioden

to Xioden

Indeed my friend....... DEFRAGGING is quite good! (And faster doesnt mean better when defragging)

I use the defrag program that came with Windows... I tried using WinME's defrag and i notice it goes TOO FAST and misses some stuff... (Its not as good as 98's defrag)

Speed is not something you should want when DEFRAGGING,you want a good job done!!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate

said by PatPatate:

I never cleaned my registers

It's important. The CPU has several registers, and when you shut down the computer, they are left containing whatever crap was last there.

You should always run a program to zero out all registers after system shutdown, otherwise it's harder for the CPU to write new values into them.

It's the same principle as erasing a blackboard now and then. Or at least, I think it is.

The same is true of RAM. It takes more effort to write on top of words that aren't zero; the computer has to press harder on the RAM chips.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 edit

PatPatate

If that's the case, the computer would only benefit from cleaning the registers for the first few minutes it runs.

Edit : And defrag is done in the background since XP I think.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to NormanS

to NormanS

Re:  

said by NormanS:

I recently had a case of "slow browsing"; similar to a saturated upload. Ran a number of diagnostics, but found no evidence of mystery applications uploading stuff. It finally hit me, after a 'tracert' failed for trying to trace to an IPv6 address: I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish a '6in4' tunnel to HE. Apparently, the TCP/IP stack decided I was on a pure IPv6 network, and was trying to resolve AAAA records (IPv6) before falling back to A records (IPv4).

I doubt if a registry cleaner could have fixed that.

It wouldn't have. It wouldn't have have added air to a tire with a slow leak, or fixed a squeaky door either.

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Tweakbl to 19579823

to 19579823

I use all 4 of Piriform's free apps quite regular especially CCleaner.
Defraggler is nice.
Speccy is good.
CCleaner is awesome.
Recuva is brilliant.

In fact I like them so much I install them on some customers PC's and tell them they should use them.

While Registry Cleaning may be a bit of Snake Oil pitches and sales. I do like to clean it out if I have done a lot of free ware experimenting.
CCleaner is not mainly a Registery cleaner by the way. It is a Temp Folders and History Cleaner.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

I opened regseeker tonight and searched for CLSID in the reg and i went to that branch,went thru all the IDs and i had a few "Value not set" so i googled them and discovered I dont have the programs that are assigned to them anymore.. (Regvac and something else) so i deleted them..... Then i ran regseeker and it found a couple now INVALID ACTIVE-X ENTRIES (Since the keys are now gone that reffered to them)

Responsible reg cleaning helps performance (I guess thats why some ppl just reinstall thier OS now and then right?? (They think its easier than manually cleaning the reg))

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by 19579823:

Responsible reg cleaning helps performance (I guess thats why some ppl just reinstall thier OS now and then right?? (They think its easier than manually cleaning the reg))

May be true for Windows 9x systems; but I've had no performance issues with Windows XP or Windows 7 which could be attributed to "gunk" in the registry. I only reinstalled Windows 7 to go from x64 to x86, and then only because hardware limitations made x64 pretty useless.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Its all pretty interesting Norm!!!!

How would 98,XP respond if they didnt have a reg?? (If every file had its settings LOCALLY in its folder)

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to 19579823

to 19579823

Not meaning to De-Rail this post...
...but I think I've found 19579823 See Profile's long lost clock!

And now back to our regularly scheduled post.....