Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

planiwa

join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S
kudos:1

[Internet] Down/Upgrade to different speed Student Special Plan?

Bell Canada is offering 3 attractive Student Specials:

Fibe_ 5 / 1 265 GB $36
Fibe 15/10 325 GB $45
Fibe 25/10 375 GB $50

I'm trying to decide which to get for a house with 7 university students.

For various reasons I prefer the 25/10 plan.
But there are (nontechnical) pressures in favour of the 5/1 plan.

So it seems to me that it may be wise to start with the 25/10 plan and downgrade later, if it turns out to be "more than necessary".

Starting with the 5/1 plan and upgrading may be another option.

I wonder if on such a very special offer, it is even possible to downgrade or upgrade, and what kind of fees are likely.

I'm also interested in the technical implications. For example, which modems, Remote-cards, protocols are used by these three plans.

Thanks.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario

Re: [Internet] Down/Upgrade to different speed Student Special P

With the 5/1 you probably will not get a sagecom modem (used for the next higher tiers of service (vdsl)) which would make upgrading the service a def truck roll, I would suggest the 15/10 that way you get the sagecom modem and you can downgrade at any time without any truck rolls (sagecoms will work on just about anything you throw at it) also another thing to consider, is that if you do go 5/1 and you end up with a 2wire, the wireless will most likely drop in and out once you have 5+ users on it so it would be a good idea to invest in a quality router if you go that route, I believe the wireless on the sagecoms do not have this issue

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to planiwa
said by planiwa:

I wonder if on such a very special offer, it is even possible to downgrade or upgrade, and what kind of fees are likely.

Bell’s policy has been that as long as the contract stays in place, you can modify the packages as you wish. If you are with Bell another ISP (Internet Service Provider) doesn’t have your business.

Bell’s policy also has been to make these changes at no cost to the customer. However; ISP's are always making policy changes. Call Bell and ask for the latest iteration.

Rick

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to planiwa
The student plans aren't long term contracts as Bell intends that a significant number will cancel the service at the end of the school year next May. As a result there should be no restrictions on changes (or even cancellation) of the service. That said, when the student offer expires at the end of September you won't be able to switch to another student promo plan but rather to a regular in market plan which will now have higher usage caps.

Just as a side note, with 7 university students using the connection 375GB of usage/month might not be sufficient. If they run over you'll be in for a very substantial overage bill.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by decx:

Just as a side note, with 7 university students using the connection 375GB of usage/month might not be sufficient. If they run over you'll be in for a very substantial overage bill.

$80 (current max overage with Bell) between 7 people isn't that much.

On the other hand, for ~$110/month all-inclusive (install, modem rental, dry loop, taxes, etc.), they could get unlimited 25/10 from TSI or other GAS ISPs and not worry about overage instead of probably ending up with a ~$150/month Bill with Bell.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
reply to planiwa
Thanks, everyone.

The choices are only between these 3 eight-month student specials.

The reason I am interested in the upgrade/downgrade options is that if it is easy to do this in 1 or 2 months, whether the initial choice is 5/1 (landlord's strong preference) or 25/10 (my preference) is not as critical as if a "speed" change is not possible.

It seems so obviously preferable to go with one of the VDSL options rather than the ADSL option. And the $5/month extra cost of 25/10 over 15/10 seems so obviously insignificant if only on the basis of the extra 50GB. (Maybe I should simply offer two $20 bills to cover that $5 difference for 8 months).

And from my perspective, it's so much easier to limit a more than adequate network than to cope with a less than adequate one.

But those nontechnical reasons in favour of 5/1 are out of my influence.

So, if I can say --
"let's start with 25/10 and if necessary we can downgrade to 15/10 or 5/1 in a month or two", or

"let's start with 5/1 and if necessary we can upgrade in a month or two", the it wouldn't be such a hard decision (causing inaction).

One of my concerns is that (even before Sep. 28th) this special plan may no longer be available, because there may be no room left in the Remote, or some such reason.

So, I am not clear whether, once this student special is started, a speed upgrade or downgrade is possible. Someone said yes, someone else said no.

I was hoping to get a solid answer here, basen on an understanding of the question and solid knowledge and experience, rather than rely on what some salesperson would say on the phone.

As for ...

"for ~$110/month all-inclusive (install, modem rental, dry loop, taxes, etc.), they could get unlimited 25/10 from TSI or other GAS ISPs and not worry about overage instead of probably ending up with a ~$150/month Bill with Bell."

Perhaps this is a good time to verify that, barring excess usage, the actual costs are indeed no more than the stated costs -- $36, $45, and $50, respectively. Is that so? Or are there hidden costs?

No dry loop cost?
No install cost?
No activation cost?
No modem rental cost?

(Limiting usage to avoid excess fees is a technical matter.)

Thanks again.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to planiwa
An upgrade or downgrade is definitely possible (as long as the remote or CO isn't full which usually isn't that likely). However after the end of Sept, any upgrade and downgrade will be to the current market rate; you won't get the student promo then.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to planiwa
said by planiwa:

(Limiting usage to avoid excess fees is a technical matter.)

Depending on what the students are studying, it may be more easily said than done. 350GB between seven people is only 50GB each, which can go away quickly unless you intend to block skype video calls, youtube, netflix, thepiratebay, google play, apple store, etc.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
reply to planiwa
FWIW, the Bell agent store assures me that up/downgrade is perfectly possible within the student-special after Sept. 28th, at no fee.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to planiwa
Go for the highest data plan...not the speed. That would be my preference...it goes fast with only 3 people in my house and I have more bandwidth with the insurance...
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
Yes, of course.

I want the high data plan. Landlord wants low end plan, for nontechnical reasons.

If landlord can be assured that it is possible to downgrade, landlord may start with high end plan.

I would prefer starting high (with option to downgrade) rather than starting low (with option to upgrade).

This is not a technical problem. I can handle those. This is a problem about Bell customer commerce.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to planiwa
While the lower end plan appears to cost less money, unless the landlord has a way to limit data usage the overages can cause the overall cost of the plan to spiral upwards. It's worth restating that for 7 university students even the 375GB included in the 25/10 tier seems rather low.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to planiwa
Maybe one of you guys in the student house whos proficient in math can explain to your landlord the $14 difference is not worth the massive headaches you'll have on a 5meg plan.

100% get the 25/10, you'll get the mandatory pots splitter install with that as well for more stable traffic.

7 students sharing a 5 meg connection will be a bottleneck nightmare.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
reply to planiwa
Latest update.

[Clarification -- I am a friend of the landlord. I have been managing the network pro-bono for several years (Acanac and TSI). In addition to switching to Bell, I also want a new (dedicated) line installed from the Demark to the centre of the house, where the modem & router / radio will be located. The existing wiring, both inside and outside, is hopeless. ]

Landlord will be getting the 25/10 375GB $50 deal (because it helps me manage the network).

Remaining questions:

What (if any) extra / hidden fees will there be above and beyond the advertised $49.95?

1. Will there be a modem rental fee of $3? Bell store agent says yes. Web site says:

"Modem rental required; one-time modem rental fee waived for new customers.".
What exactly does that mean? Fee or no fee?

2. Will there be a Dry Loop fee? Nowhere is Dry Loop mentioned, nor is there mention of the need for POTS service.

3. What in blazes do they mean by:

"and other conditions apply"?

BOTTOM LINE:

Assuming no exess data, will the monthly bill be for exactly:

$49.95, as advertized, or for more?

Oh, I am assuming that someone who has Bell phone service, but has not had Bell Internet servive for several years, is considered a "new customer", yes?

I realize that these are pre-sales questions, not technical questions.

Thanks.

Web site "Full Offer Details":

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· ol-offer

Offer ends September 28, 2012. Available to new residential customers in Ontario where access and technology permit. Subject to change without notice and cannot be combined with any other offer. Internet Student offer is not combinable with Fibe TV. Taxes extra and other conditions apply. E-billing is provided at no cost and paper bill is available for $2/month. Modem rental required; one-time modem rental fee waived for new customers.

(5) Available to new customers who continuously subscribe to Fibe Internet 25/10 (25 Mbps download speed and min. 3 Mbps and max. 10 Mbps upload speed). Extra data usage of 250 GB/mo. (for a total of 375 GB/mo.) and $49.95/mo. promotional price ($63.95/mo. (subject to change), less $14 monthly credit for months 1 to 8) are valid for 8 months from activation date. After 8 months, included data usage will be 125 GB/mo. and price for Internet $63.95/mo. Data usage: overage fee: $1.50/additional GB; max. $80/mo.