join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 recommendations

reply to PrntRhd

Re:  

said by PrntRhd:

said by Dude111:

Hmmmm i went to the Opera blog page you added to your post Mele and although it was DARK i could read everything there

I clicked on the POLL and it forwarded me to the page that has the link i posted above to the actual poll.......

I have v6.0.2800.1106 of IE6 .. I forgot which version you have but if it works for me it should for you

Dude,

The IE 6 is like expired milk, it is not secure.
»www.pcworld.com/article/204199/s···r_6.html

That's his choice.
I think we've all tried. lol
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to PrntRhd
Again,you are listening to mainstream crap!!!!!

IE6 is no worse than newer DUMBED DOWN/ugly versions of IE!! (That may be spying on you)

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Dustyn
I know but just how did he set up IE 6 to be secure yet open everything he comes up to? Really now...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

I think we've all tried. lol

I haven't but then I stopped doing that (in general with anyone) years ago

Sorta like banging your head against a brick wall. It's feels really good when you stop
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111
Internet Explorer 6 for Windows 7 Layer Definition File

»www.symantec.com/connect/downloa···ion-file

It's never really over until someone turns off the switch...

»usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08···chickens
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL
reply to Mele20

Re: Which browser is recommended for security reasons?

It seems extremely unlikely for the browser itself to cause any real-world security threat.

People get malware from add-ons, extensions and the random crap they download + run.

If you want to be safer, stop using vulnerable applications, such as Adobe products, Java and other such things.

If you must use them, at least run them in a VM.

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to Mele20
I didn't see a choice for Konqueror, what gives?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to Mele20
Lynx! W3m! Links! ELinks! :P

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Re:  

That is something else! (IE 6 on Win 7).

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Mele20:

That is something else! (IE 6 on Win 7).

Yeah, I'd like to see that in action. Same on Vista. :P

bbchris2nd
Joke Factory

join:2010-09-03
Australia
reply to Mele20

I use K-Meleon

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to Mele20
Anything not IE or IE-based is best on Windows.

The problem with IE is that it is an interface for Microsoft's rendering engine/platform, many programs might depend on its APIs even within the OS itself. ActiveX is used for plug-ins and within the OS itself, there are hundreds of ActiveX controls included in Windows and by 3rd-party developers not meant to be used in IE. If just one of those has a vulnerability, websites can exploit them just by having you visit it in IE. The line is just really blurred between the operating system and IE. Did anyone know "My Computer" is also a zone in Internet Explorer, just hidden from you?

As for setting it up correctly, you don't have to set up any other browser correctly to have an enjoyable surfing experience without the headache. They don't need granular controls. You can be safe and have functionality without being a frieken' computer genius.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Mele20

Yes im sure if you ran the program in WIN98SE OR WINXP COMPATIBILITY MODE it might run

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Mele20
That poll IS USELESS!!!!!! (Run by idiotic losers)

I posted comments about voting for IE and THEY DID NOT APPROVE THEM!

»my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/20···-reasons

ITS APPARANT NO BROWSER HAS A CHANCE OF WINNING ON THAT PAGE OTHER THAN THIER OWN PIECE OF GARBAGE!!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
Errr....It's NOT Opera's poll. Opera blog evidently wants Opera readers to vote for Opera (which is understandable) so they mentioned the poll to get Opera users who read the Opera blog to go and vote for Opera.

The poll belongs to Sophos Antivirus. So, you should post your comment at the Sophos poll page.

The reason Opera is doing well in the poll is because Opera users are more aware of the poll (because of Opera blog promoting that awareness) than are users of other browsers. Get Microsoft to promote the poll like Opera is promoting it and have Microsoft ask IE users to vote for IE and then you should see more votes for IE. I bet if Microsoft were to do that, and you were to post at the Microsoft blog, and say you voted for Opera, that Microsoft might not approve your post.

So, post your comments on Sophos poll page.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to Mele20

Click for full size
Konqueror running inside windows.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Mele20

Ah yes your right,i see!!!!!!!!!

I think the reason i didnt was when i went back to the page to the do it,I DISCOVERED YOU NEED SCRIPTS ENABLED!! (Which i didnt feel like re-enabling right then)

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to Mele20

There is no answer to this question.

Blake

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Mele20

Re:  

On their get out to vote...
The poll only means there are 2,944 people who use Opera and I am not surprised. and as one user commented at the Opera forum just for starters...

No Sandboxed iframe
No Seamless iframe
No iframe with inline contents
No mixed content protection

The third party tracking protection solutions are weak due to lack of powerful Extension API (look at Ghostery before and after, furthermore when I restart Opera, it doesn't initialize Ghostery at the first time, so if I open Opera with many tabs the tracker scripts are run at the first time until the Ghostery doesn't initialized.

And there are many other security reasons not to use Opera for safe browsing...glad they were listed in the "poll" but they have a long ways to go.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
Okay, you've got my attention, which one does protect?

I hear Chrome, but if you're not a google fanboy, what is next?
After my issue with SSL breaking, and without KIS's cert applied either, I'm at my wits end - Firefox?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
You don't have to be a google fanboy to use chrome..you just need the desire to be safe. Worry more about what the government's..even yours..is doing to privacy than some company that started out as a search engine who makes thing available for free and does that by generating revenue form ads.

I guess you might consider some plugin for whatever browser you use for the problem.

MeDuZa

join:2003-06-13
Austria
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

The poll only means there are 2,944 people who use Opera and I am not surprised.

And you want to be taken serious with such a nonsense? I can assure you that there are at least a few millions more...

said by Name Game:

and as one user commented at the Opera forum just for starters...

No Sandboxed iframe
No Seamless iframe
No iframe with inline contents
No mixed content protection

The third party tracking protection solutions are weak due to lack of powerful Extension API (look at Ghostery before and after, furthermore when I restart Opera, it doesn't initialize Ghostery at the first time, so if I open Opera with many tabs the tracker scripts are run at the first time until the Ghostery doesn't initialized.

BTW, that user is a regular of the forums and for some reasons still prefers Opera over the browser you recommend for all those with the "desire to be safe"...
--
Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to norwegian
If everyone is bestowing the title to Chrome [which I think is a terrible browser].........then they should be using SWIRON instead.

Same browser without the Google spying.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20

The fact that this topic is based on an open internet poll of the general public and not a small faction of security folk mean it's just going to be a poll of who uses what for whatever reason.

I use Chrome with Adblock and a host file on my windows side and on my Macs.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to MeDuZa

Re:  

Taken serious only in the fact it was a nice try to skew the poll but turned out to be a flop if you can't even get your own users to vote. As to who prefers what I really could not care..but since the poll was about security and not fan boys stuff..or which one I "like", Opera is not even in the running. As other's have said in this thread..the poll turned out to be crap when you have to plead for your users to vote. Even on facebook no less.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

If everyone is bestowing the title to Chrome [which I think is a terrible browser].........then they should be using SWIRON instead.

Same browser without the Google spying.

SRWare Iron was updated on 12 August...privacy is one thing..how about Security..can it do this..

Chrome periodically retrieves updates of two blacklists (one for phishing and one for malware), and warns users when they attempt to visit a harmful site. This service is also made available for use by others via a free public API called "Google Safe Browsing API".[11]
Chrome will typically allocate each tab to fit into its own process to "prevent malware from installing itself" and prevent what happens in one tab from affecting what happens in another; however, the actual process-allocation model is more complex.[100] Following the principle of least privilege, each process is stripped of its rights and can compute, but cannot write files or read from sensitive areas (e.g. documents, desktop) — this is similar to the "Protected Mode" used by Internet Explorer on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The Sandbox Team is said to have "taken this existing process boundary and made it into a jail";[101] for example, malicious software running in one tab is supposed to be unable to sniff credit card numbers entered in another tab, interact with mouse inputs, or tell Windows to "run an executable on start-up" and it will be terminated when the tab is closed.[11] This enforces a simple computer security model whereby there are two levels of multilevel security (user and sandbox) and the sandbox can only respond to communication requests initiated by the user.[102] On Linux sandboxing uses the seccomp mode.[103][104]

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Then I wonder if you can tell me how SRWare Iron handles Java and Flash. I have never used SRWare Iron.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
reply to Mele20

Personally I find Opera to be quite secure - never gotten infected while using it, though it doesn't fix Flash or Java - good AV helps there.

I wouldn't use chrome, don't need any more tracking...

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Mele20
In real security-essential locations, having no browser is probably the best choice.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to jp10558
Have enjoyed reading your Opera Blog and posts in their forum..wondered if you ever got these resolved..

- crash after windows updates rebooted computer
-instant crash after update until I remove autosave.win

Friend who runs Opera tells me Opera continues to run for a very long time in background after closing and uses a huge amount of memory. Have you experienced that problem ?
--
Gladiator Security Forum

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to Name Game

Re:  

quote:
SRWare Iron was updated on 12 August...privacy is one thing..how about Security..can it do this..
I'm not too worried about blacklists,as I use BufferZone Pro and Iron is configured pretty secure.

quote:
Then I wonder if you can tell me how SRWare Iron handles Java and Flash. I have never used SRWare Iron.
--
Handles both well,although I have both disabled till I need them.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~