spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to Mele20

Re: Which browser is recommended for security reasons?

IMO much, perhaps most, (not all), of the criticism directed toward a fully updated and properly configured IE9 are dramatically overstated, exaggerated or sometimes wrong.

Properly MS updated and configured IE 9 is IMO an excellent browser that will in the long run with newer editions and tweaks get even better.

On my PC I use it as my default browser.

For my Mac I use Firefox.

Reimer

join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re:  

I don't recommend Iron. The devs are shady and it's obvious the product was released to prey on the Google paranoia. Iron does nothing special. All they do is remove options you can already disable manually in Chrome and at the same time, is much slower to update. So that can't qualify as a safer browser.

Isn't it also ironic to claim the browser as protecting you from Google when they use Google analytics and Adsense on their homepage? Oh right. It must be okay to use Google products as long as they make money off of it.

A more reputable Chromium based fork would be Comodo Dragon.
»www.comodo.com/home/browsers-too···wser.php

And of course, there's always Chromium itself.

There is one other thing to take into account. Chrome includes its PPAPI flash plugin which has the strongest sandboxed flash implementation of any browser.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

+1 on the info..but hard to believe they are shady..maybe just not that rich like firefox who is supported to the tune of something like $108mil by Goggle.

»hothardware.com/News/Money-Talks···ch-Deal/

»www.extremetech.com/internet/925···-firefox

Reimer

join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON

I call the Iron devs shady because they do things like this.

This is one of the things they list as something they remove from the Chromium source code for privacy reasons.

and this is what a Chrome dev says about that.

Furthermore, the "URL tracking" mentioned both on IRC and on the Iron website refers to the GoogleURLTracker class. This unforutnately-named class figures out whether to use google.com or google.es for searches from the URL bar, and does not in any way do any sort of spyware URL monitoring. This is obvious to anyone who can read code, and should be obvious to anyone technical enough to produce a product like Iron. At this point I can't believe they're doing anything other than being intentionally misleading.
This serves as a good example of the sort or significant effort we've put in to make Chrome be privacy-conscious and Google-independent. Half of the bullet points on the Iron "feature" page are options that can be turned off in a clearly-marked "Privacy" section of the Chrome options, and the other half are misunderstandings like this one.
»neugierig.org/software/chromium/···ron.html

This same page details an IRC chat that shows the Iron devs intention with the project were merely to cash in on ad clicks

mgreenblatt - Iron.. why not propose a patch based on preprocessor defines that disables the sections you dislike without forking the code?
mgreenblatt - (assuming such a thing doesn't already exist)
Iron - because a fork will bring a lot of publicity to my person and my homepage
Iron - that means: a lot of money too

jamessan - heh, you're expecting to make lots of money from making a fork of chromium? that's quite amusing
Iron - i dont take money for my fork
Iron - but i have adsense on my page
Iron - a lot of visitor -> a lot of clicka > a lot of money

All of which explains all the bookmarks and iron-start.com homepage leading to their ads they stick in Iron

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Thank..understand now...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Reimer

You seem to think that Iron users are not aware of that IRC chat. Most of us knew about it BEFORE we chose to download and use Iron. I don't mind him wanting to make some money. My Proxomitron blocks his ads at his forum and Iron (when I was using it) was much better than Chrome. I don't believe Chrome is separate from Google. You have to have an account if you have a problem with Chrome. You couldn't pay me to set up a Google account for Chrome help or anything else. To post in the Iron forum all I had to do was register...no Google crap.

Since when has a Chrome user been able to turn OFF Chrome auto updates and uninstall Flash Player? If you can't do those two things then you are OWNED by Google. With Iron you don't get Flash Player unless YOU THE USER decide to install it which is how it should be. With Iron, there are NO automatic updates which is how it should be.

I stopped using it because of the horrible sandboxing of each tab which meant that Chrome/Iron was the HEAVIEST browser out there...not to mention that it wrecks havoc on Task Manager as you can't find any process easily if you have a bunch of Iron tabs listed there. Plus, I have over 100 tabs open on Fx at the moment. You can't do that with Chrome/Iron...at least not on an older computer as even 20 tabs open caused Iron to be eating almost all my RAM...far more RAM hungry that Fx which is bad but nothing like Iron. You need the 24GB RAM that I probably will get on my new computer if you want to use Chrome/Iron and actually USE tabbed browsing..not just "dabble" in it with 5-6 tabs open.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

"Since when has a Chrome user been able to turn OFF Chrome auto updates and uninstall Flash Player? If you can't do those two things then you are OWNED by Google. With Iron you don't get Flash Player unless YOU THE USER decide to install it which is how it should be. With Iron, there are NO automatic updates which is how it should be."

Since forever..I can disable both update and flash..even the pepper flash its easy to do and has been posted in this forum many times.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/