Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to anonuser1

Re: [Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplu

said by anonuser1 :

Not that I care but I'll just point out that I do not, nor have I ever participated in this scheme.

If you're not part of the solution..... well... you know....

said by anonuser1 :

I do know people who do participate in this scheme.

I don't know what makes me sick more, that people do this, that people do it so openly that you know about it, or that people do this, do it openly, and you know about it and say nothing.

Pretty much a tie, I think.

Myself, I'd be setting those fuckers up and ratting their scumbag asses out faster than you could clone a MAC.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

So I have some friends that are experiencing a problem with Cogeco's usage billing, and so far are getting a "well investigate" response from the company.

Could you possibly ask your friends if it's OK that I contact them and provide me with info so I can look into this?

ancaster

@cgocable.net
I have been also hit by a charge of 82 GB in just one day*. I was with Teksavvy for over two years, with barely going over 20 GB a month.

*That day happened to be 'meter maintenance day'. The day before I was at 0.9 GB (one week into the month), the day after 83 GB!

theboxjoe

@blink.ca
I used to be with Cogeco, always exceeded my monthly limits or came quite close since day one. With the exact same usage now on Bell Fibe I rarely go over 40GB a month and I would probably say it is used more now! This kinda concerns me that I may have fallen victim to this crap without even realising. My parents conostantly pay 50+ I think it is due to overage. I hope Cogeco fixes this issue on their network, I can see the lawsuits happening now as how can you bill someone when techs etc are selling or giving away MAC addresses for others to use. Kinda scary especially since Cogeco's network would let this happen.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to Cogeco_Aaron
PM me your Cogeco contact information, I'll forward it to them to contact you if this hasn't been resolved.
Expand your moderator at work

Eunectesboy

join:2012-05-24
L7M0K1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to theboxjoe

Re: [Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplu

Somethings isn't sitting right with me...I was just billed for 257GB of usage (given I am on the Ultimate 30 residential - that amounts to 82GB of overage!!!! Yikes. had a $180 bill when taxes factored in.

Problem is - we have consistently be using around 120GB per month for a long time...so how the heck (with same usage pattern) can it literally more than double. We actually moved from the Business to Residential Ultimate 30 because we were consistently around 120 for the past year+. Guess I should have stayed on the Business account!

Yes we are heavy Netflix users and download/stream quite a bit...hence the 120GB or so we used on average per month...but our download/streaming patterns have not changed to any marked degree and I am stumped as to why it would be so high.

Since we typically have been so far from going over the 175 'cap' I have been lazy in proactively checking usage meter (or the usage 'guess-to-meter') so me bad on that one - I have no one to blame there...but 257 GB???? Wow - I guess our family (2 adults one teen) are one of those bandwidth hogs and we didn't even realize. I also never frequent the cogeco mail system and don't have it forwarded to my gmail account so (again) me bad there as well.

Unless my wife/daughter are lying to me about their usage the past month...I am lost on this one...

Another reason to consider Start.ca I guess. I was holding out because of the faster speed with Cogeco Ultimate 30...but I am beginning to think I can live with the extra few download minutes...

thingfish

join:2012-09-14
St Catharines, ON
kudos:1
reply to I_H8_Spam
For those that are getting what you feel to be higher than expected usage amounts, are you seeing occasional spikes in your daily usages, or consistently higher usage every day?

Eunectesboy

join:2012-05-24
L7M0K1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I noticed weird spikes on some days and virtually silent on others...

One day 648MB...another 50GB...yep 50GB

Almost as though I was pulling an all nighter with rapidshare downloads...but it has been a looooong time since I did that...so most days should be fairly consistent (IMHO).

Again - has me stumped. Perhaps I am just truly out of tune with what we are using...or is that simply what 'they' want me to think?

FKharper

@bell.ca
It maybe time to get some lawyer's involved with the Cap business and get class action lawsuit going, won't do anything to customers but maybe, just maybe will get Robellus attention.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
Never happen.

The solution is political, through regulation. It's the only way. FWIW, it will not happen with a Harper government in power. Not in a million years. The Ministry Of Industry and CTRC are corrupt beyond redemption.

Things are going to get much worse before they get better. Cogeco is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mike

chdude3

join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON
Based on this thread, on a lark I decided to check our usage history. Typically, we used 20-30gig combined total each month. Imagine my surprise, with no usage pattern change, that we're suddenly doing double to triple that - around 60gig per month for the last three months.

The stranger portion is that it seems to be the upstream that's got odd jumps. Downstream, yeah I'm downloading games and patches and updates, some days with a gig or two is standard. Upstream, I imagine that a few hundred meg per day would be standard for us, usual usage.

But when I see days that have 200meg downstream but 1gig upstream, I can't really explain that. I'm not seeing any abnormal activity on our WiFi at all (although I've changed the password now just to be safe).

I'm a little concerned.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
I experienced the exact same issue, in month 1 and month 2 of Cogeco's UBB enforcement.

Typical usage was well under allotment, set your watch by it, every month for over a year.

Then, in month 1 of UBB I go over, max overage fee, and month 2 I go over even more, max overage fee. I get a call on New Years Eve telling me I'm about to get billed for 2 months of max overage - an additional $60.

I called them out on their meter accuracy and notifications. I got 1 month reimbursed, but they wouldn't budge on the 2nd. In the meantime, my usage mysteriously returns to normal.

I cancelled Cogeco internet on that basis alone. I did wind up going back to them about a year later. But continued billing shenanigans (with others, not me) eventually saw me cancel that business account, and TV too.

Now... "this house is clean".

I think their network is subject to all manner of UBB abuse. I think their world-class, enterprise quality metering system is for shit, I think their upper management know it and are laughing at us all they way to the bank, because the government lets them.

The Ministry Of Industry and Measurement Canada should be all over this, and if for one second their first priority was to protect Canadians from this sort of behaviour they would be. Instead, the wolves are feasting on us and they turn a blind eye.

Third world internet access indeed.

Get used to it.

In the meantime, I consider it my personal mission in life to get as many people off Cogeco as possible.

The Audet's and their shareholders can eat shit.

Mike
--
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Cogeco_Aaron
said by Cogeco_Aaron:

said by I_H8_Spam:

So I have some friends that are experiencing a problem with Cogeco's usage billing, and so far are getting a "well investigate" response from the company.

Could you possibly ask your friends if it's OK that I contact them and provide me with info so I can look into this?

Considering this is front page news now and it's a week later, any update on the investigation?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Yes sorry, I've been negligent. I never did get that PM from Cogeco_Aaron See Profile But a nice phone support rep took their details and told them not to worry about the warning message.

DCM425 was swapped at Pen Center and the account is active again. Usage has been normal according to the usage page, I'm still advising they swap to Start the basic plan will more then cover their needs.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6
reply to I_H8_Spam
Hey, sorry about not getting back to ya. I've been logging in just briefly to check for PMs because I've been out of the office. Didn't realize you wanted me to PM you.

I've sent you the PM if your friend needs any more assistance.

brian5

@cgocable.net
reply to I_H8_Spam
So..... Are there crooks out there that are really cloning modems and using others bandwidth or not?
If so, is this investigated?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
said by brian5 :

So..... Are there crooks out there that are really cloning modems and using others bandwidth or not?
If so, is this investigated?

That's an excellent question, but I doubt Cogeco will ever admit it.

The media rush, shareholder, and customer slamming the phones, charge-backs, CCTS disputes, ect. They would lose their cashcow.

First call, they claimed they would investigate, the 2nd call 7 days later they rolled over and told them not to worry about 40gb of usage. Related maybe?
--

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by I_H8_Spam:

First call, they claimed they would investigate, the 2nd call 7 days later they rolled over and told them not to worry about 40gb of usage. Related maybe?

Cogeco (or any other company in their right mind) would never admit to this of course.

But this does not detract from the fact that the customer was metered for usage while it was impossible for that to happen.

This just bloody screams out for government intervention. It's beyond ridiculous. It should be criminal.

For sure, anonuser1@lambtonfinancial.ca should come clean with the info they have. Post it. All of it. Right here.

Mike
--
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Hanks

@start.ca
No need for a specific user to come forward a TON of people know about cloning modems on both Rogers and Cogeco networks. It's not just tech's sharing info, with a hacked modem you can plug into a line on a node and get the information you need to clone. It's also not limited to one mac per city, it's one mac per node as far as I know. There are forums on the internet that exchange information from different cities to make life easier for them. The most common modems do appear to be the Moto Surfboard SB51XX series as they firmware is easily modifiable through jtag access.

I'm sure if you search google a bit you'll find all the information you want on this, it's not exactly a well kept secret. Personally I'm aware of it, and I monitor the usage on my account, vs what the server says. Any serious variations (I'm not with Cogeco fwiw) would prompt me to contact the ISP and change modems. I don't condone doing this especially because you financially harm individuals with this hack, and further just beacause I'm not a crook. The way DOCSIS operates all other modem information is visible on a node which leaves cable vulnerable to attacking if a system is not set up properly. DSL by it's underlying nature does not suffer from this problem, however it does suffer from many other major malfunctions, the least of which is being a Bell product.

I don't know why anyone from these forums is with Cogeco and Rogers now anyways with excellent options like Start.ca, Teksavvy and Ebox just to name a few. Superior service, caps, service options and prices.

While I'm not sure if an associate of mine contacted Cogeco, I do know he did contact Rogers notifying them of this and an exploitable hack in their cell phone service with information about it and how to fix it, which he offered his assistance in fixing. He was essentially told to go pound sand.

They know, it's my opinion that they just don't care since the end result is increased revenue for them as a result of desirable uninformed customers.

So yes it exists, the providers likely know (again I was informed Rogers was contacted about it, but am not certain that Cogeco has been), they don't seem to care and it's now becoming rampant enough that it's "news". I've even met a few people who've "purchased" this hacked setup as a service in Niagara. I suspect many of IKtel's lite tier customers use that to get an active line into their premises and then plug in their "cloned" modem.

If someone from Cogeco is under the assumption that "no we don't know about it" let me know how to get in touch with you. It's very disturbing that you are being stolen from with the direct result of overbilling your customers with fraudulent charges. (I'm anonymous for now, because I don't want to be bothered about it but will happily work with you if their is a willingness to fix the problem). I'm not exactly a Cogeco fan, but this type of theft is as unnaceptable as the fact that this hack exists in Cable Co's network.

Hank

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Wow.

The police need to be involved in this.

Mike

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to Hanks
said by Hanks :

No need for a specific user to come forward a TON of people know about cloning modems on both Rogers and Cogeco networks.

Here is Karl Bode in 2010: »FBI Arrests Another Cable Modem Hacker

It's the nature of the beast it seems, leaving the trust to the end user device, the same device that can be modded. Maybe another layer of authentication needs to be added to prevent this type of abuse.

Look at the card cloning in the Nagavision 2 days, if they build it, people will steal it.
--

agtle

@teksavvy.com
reply to I_H8_Spam
the thumb on the scale is the oldest trick in the book

(I can't be the only one who has worked a butcher counter)

however I'm torn... cogeco is also a notoriously incompetent company, and everyone knows the saying about not assuming malfeasance when stupidity is a very real possibility.

haven't been a cogeco customer since 2004. they couldn't bill properly then, and that was during the "flat rate" days.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

The police need to be involved in this.

You'd think they'd be involved if this was a real thing since people are, y'know, allegedly stealing.

I'm aware that plenty of people were jerking Cogeco around with modems 'off the grid' a few years back but I haven't heard any of that since they locked their shit down a number of years ago now.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
In order for them to be involved there would have to be a complainant.

Doubt very much Cogeco would be willing, seeing as how the activity results in revenue.

So what does that make them?

Complicit?

Mike

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by dillyhammer:

Doubt very much Cogeco would be willing, seeing as how the activity results in revenue.

If people are sharing services, some unwittingly by the allegations, it's lost revenue not increased revenue.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by urbanriot:

If people are sharing services, some unwittingly by the allegations, it's lost revenue not increased revenue.

Well, there's a few different ways to look at it. If they're making $50 on overages, the revenue has been recovered and in fact the profit margin is higher because they don't have to factor costs for the maintenance of a full-time subscriber. The other thing to consider is that the revenue from the customer with a cloned mac may have never been legit revenue at all.

I can see the point they're trying to make. I've had discussions with Cogeco techs out there and while mac cloning isn't rampant as it used to be, it's still around. It probably just isn't to the level where it's worthwhile to get the police involved.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by Gone:

I've had discussions with Cogeco techs out there and while mac cloning isn't rampant as it used to be, it's still around.

Cogeco knows about it then, and knows the behaviour could result in overage charges for a customer that in fact had nothing to do with the usage.

Pathetic.You know, at one time I was thinking that cable actually had a foot up on UBB accuracy over DSL. Not any more.

said by Gone:

It probably just isn't to the level where it's worthwhile to get the police involved.

I suppose.

But the government needs to be involved. Not just on this fiasco, but on UBB overall. This is just another example of why this needs some oversight and regulation.

I wonder how long they're going to let this go on, customers getting bilked like this. It's horrendous.

Mike
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Something needs to be done about the metering in general, but I'm not sure how you can regulate something that does not physically exist.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
Electricity doesn't physically exist does it?

Notwithstanding that the bits end of things may need some thinking, we certainly need government intervention in terms of what can be billed, what can't, a dispute mechanism, and some price sanity.

Mike
--