join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to nitzguy

Re: [Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplu

said by nitzguy:

Something doesn't seem right.....

In reality, if I'm a hacker and an "evil person" and I'm benefitting from this, I'm going to take it to the max...so to just use "40gb" in a month with a hacked modem doesn't sound right to me, if its me, and I know of a way to max it out, I'm gonna max it out and screw that other person to the $50 overage...not just go "Oh, I feel sorry and I'm only going to make them pay $15/month more"....that's just not how criminal elements work...you'd see Angelos and Angelos of usage....not just 40gb....

...Anywho, something in this story just doesn't ring true.....I'm not saying that people don't clone macs, but if you were one of those people, you just wouldn't magically stop at 40GB...it just doesn't make sense....

If this 'MAC Clowning' is as easy to do as some say, then why use so much per subscriber that it leaves ZERO DOUBT as to what is going on ?

Stopping at 40GB or some moderate amount is just enough to cause dissent between the provider and some of their subscribers (and some customers will not even notice, just paying up blindly), but not enough for all parties to agree that something serious (nor what exactly) is wrong.

EDIT : As I read further, I see that the next 2 posters have made a similar point to mine.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

brian5

@cgocable.net
reply to I_H8_Spam
The cell companies measure it too. How is everyones cellphone bill data usage? I find mine is pretty accurate(when compared to usage showing in Android---- virginmobile).

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by brian5 :

The cell companies measure it too. How is everyones cellphone bill data usage? I find mine is pretty accurate(when compared to usage showing in Android---- virginmobile).

The difference is that cellcos also metre business/corporate accounts, and those kind of customers are far more likely to make a stink up to and including lawsuits if they feel the metreing is inaccurate and charging them for usage they didn't actually use.

Contrast this with Internet providers, where business and corporate accounts are almost universally unmetred, and the only ones who have to deal with it are residential users who are far more likely to just roll over and take it if there is an error.

If the same kind of metre inaccuracy was happening to Cogeco's business users, there would be suck a stink that they'd either have to correct the error or face the wrath of customers who are far more likely to take legal action if they feel they're being wronged.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Example: World of Warcraft....if you haven't turned off the peer to peer functionality even after you've downloaded the patch, your computer is still going to serve uploads of data to other users who still need the patch so long as they've left their P2P on...

Actually, Wow only uses P2P during the patch process. Once you're done patching, all repairs are done via direct download from a Blizzard server. Its possible an installation is highly corrupted and downloads quite a bit from servers to replace corruption, but it couldn't account for anything near 40GB, as the game itself is only 25GB... Unless the system itself is unstable (like the Dell XPS630i with the faulty motherboards)..
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to ruddypict
So does anyone know if the MAC cloning issue is also an issue for TPIA providers? I was going to re-evaluate my current configuration now that TPIA has been available for a while. But I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm paying overages because some clown decided to dodge fees.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
... we don't even if it's a real issue on the MSO side. Considering that no one knows the truth of that scenario, it's unlikely you'll get anything more than hearsay for your answer. Friend of a friend or "I heard this story" kind of thing.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam
Isn't cogeco just great.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to I_H8_Spam
I'd like to see somebody order a brand new service and get it installed in the presence of their lawyer.

Once the cableco technician finishes the install and tests (consuming maybe a few MB in the process), the cable modem is disconnected and handed to the lawyer who then hands it to a lawyer from anther firm to be placed in the 2nd lawyer's office safe. The cable outlet is physically capped with a tamper-evident wax seal or some other means of showing whether the connection was used.

Then the cableco bills are monitored by the lawyers for a period of say 4 months to see what usage is billed.

Total cost = 4 months cable internet bill + maybe a $1000 for lawyers. These are the sort of costs that should be shared by interested customers - or maybe even by CIPPIC - in order to get to the bottom of these 'phantom' usage bills.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10

Love it.

Mike

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

I'd like to see somebody order a brand new service and get it installed in the presence of their lawyer.

Once the cableco technician finishes the install and tests (consuming maybe a few MB in the process), the cable modem is disconnected and handed to the lawyer who then hands it to a lawyer from anther firm to be placed in the 2nd lawyer's office safe. The cable outlet is physically capped with a tamper-evident wax seal or some other means of showing whether the connection was used.

Then the cableco bills are monitored by the lawyers for a period of say 4 months to see what usage is billed.

Total cost = 4 months cable internet bill + maybe a $1000 for lawyers. These are the sort of costs that should be shared by interested customers - or maybe even by CIPPIC - in order to get to the bottom of these 'phantom' usage bills.

This - a million times this!