how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FLASH71145

join:2005-04-02
Weirton, WV

[HD] Fox Ohio Valley College Football Broadcast

Last night while surfing thru the games I stopped to watch UCLA/Nebraska. The HD picture on 803 was horrible, switched to Channel 3 the game had black bars top and bottom with a horrible picture. Who's at fault for the HD broadcast FOXOV or the Fox national feed? How was this broadcast in other parts of the country?

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

Same today, Browns/Eagles very poor picture. All Fox broadcasts on Redzone HD crystal clear.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

Geez, seems like Fox Sports is having problems all over:

Fox Has T.V. Signal Issues During Falcons-Chiefs Game
By Michael Collins, Rant Sports - September 9, 2012
»www.rantsports.com/atlanta-falco···fs-game/

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to FLASH71145

said by FLASH71145:

Same today, Browns/Eagles very poor picture. All Fox broadcasts on Redzone HD crystal clear.

Fox broadcasts on Redzone aren't muxed into a 19.8 mbps stream that carries:

CBS HD
Fox HD
ABC SD

"The power of three" over at WTRF means horrible, poor, atrocious picture quality as two HD and one SD streams are squeezed into a single ATSC channel.

The All Star game and World Series from last year were worse.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Which is one of many reasons such arrangements shouldn't be allowed.

The people of Wheeling/Weirton/Steubenville would be better served with WTAE and WPGH than that joke.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

I do believe wpgh is significantly viewed but isn't carried. On the other hand the green bay game didn't seem bad but it wasn't a hdtv

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

We do still get WTAE-HD/ABC and KDKAHD/CBS out of Pittsburgh. There picture and sound quality are excellent. Not looking forward to a Steeler game when Fox broadcasts it.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

Another Saturday of horrible sports broadcasts on FoxOV. The afternoon baseball game and the USC/Stanford games were horrible. Tried to contact WTRF last week with a complaint but both E-Mails were sent back as undeliverable. I'm going to contact Comcast tomorrow and see if they can find out what the problem is.

Mgsports

join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS

How about Facebook and Twitter them?

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

I've never been a social media person. I have never thought of joining.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I didn't see any problems saturday night where I live. Did you check your cables? I have all new cables and didn't have any problems. Then again I only have a 32" full hd and a 19" 720p tv.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

Every thing was good. All other stations we're fine. Even the other 2 of the power of 3.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I didn't have a problem with the usc vs stanford game saturday night

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

So you are telling me you had a crystal clear HD picture?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

As far as I can tell yes. I didn't see anything too noticeable. Then again I rewired my house.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

I had a signal booster installed last year and that corrected alot if not all of my problems then. I'm going to do some experimenting this weekend swithing HD boxes around.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

I tried 2 RNG100"s, and My Sammy's tuner and the picture is still blurred and fuzzy and stretched. Now I'm back to my Moto 3400 and every station is crystal clear but the power of three.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

check your cabling. I have no problems here at all.
As for WPGH forget it. Sinclair and Comcast don't want it shown here. Plus West Virginia Media is trying to get wtae and kdka taken off here.
If they can prove wtae and kdka aren't significantly viewed to the fcc they will have to be removed per fcc rules.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

How could it be my cabling if all other stations are good. Comcast already installed signal booster and it help tremendously a year or so ago. Do you realize how much programming we'd lose if they remove KDKA and WTAE.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

said by FLASH71145:

How could it be my cabling if all other stations are good.

In some cases, a coax cabling/connection issue can cause problems at a certain frequency or range of frequencies. For digital channels, if the QAM carrier used to carry a particular channel happens to fall at that frequency/frequencies, then there could be issues for that channel [and any other channels carried on that QAM carrier(s)] while other channels, carried on carriers outside the problem frequency(ies) are OK.

One way to check is to bring up the diagnostic screen when tuned to the problem channel(s).

I don't know if it's similar for Motorola boxes, but for SA/Cisco STBs running the S25 version guide, to get to the diagnostic screens, press and hold the front panel Power button until the power LED starts flashing (about 5 seconds), then let it go and give it a quick press again. Next, click the right arrow button on the remote to display the "RF STATISTICS" screen.

On the right side of that screen, it will show the info for the "CURRENT QAM." The Status should stay as "Locked," the Level should be in the range of -10 to 10 dBmv, and the S/N should be 30 dB or greater. Below those items it will also show the Error statistics. To exit, click the front panel Power button again or hit Exit on the remote.

EDIT: For Motorola boxes, here is what I found on bringing up the diagnostic screens:

From »[STB] Digital Tiling on One TV set: Box Problem or Signal Proble - "To check the signal strength on a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen."

From: »iGuide A30 - "diagnostics menu (accessed by pressing the power key to turn the set top box off and then followed by pressing the menu key on the set top box)"

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to FLASH71145

yes I understand but I was told that eventually wtrf and wtov probably will try to get the pittsburgh channels shut off. Wtov is owned by the same company as wpxi so I don't see that happening.
But west virginia media holdings might try to get kdka and wtae taken off.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

I emailed fox and asked them to return the affiliation to wpgh until wtrf can solve their signal issues. What is a shame is some people can't receive any fox channel because they can't get wpgh or wtrf over the air.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

With all teams with local interest playing over the weekend the 3 OV stations broadcasted in HD. Good picture not great. Some pixelation and audio loss at times but better. We'll see next weekend when non locals are playing and baseball playoffs start.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Swimming grass and mosquito crowds, must be October playoff baseball on Fox Ohio Valley time again!!!

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

I believe the league championship games start Sunday on Fox.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I didn't see any problem with the wvu vs texas game on fox saturday.
Hopefully the wvu vs texas tech game can be as crisp this weekend.

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV
reply to FLASH71145

WVU set for 3:30 ABC/ESPN kick off. If ABC caries it I'll be watching WTAE out of the Burgh.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

ot: just found out wvu vs kansas state 7pm on fox next saturday

FLASH71145

Weirton, WV

Back to the point. Where all of a sudden did they find the power. If they can do it once, that broadcast level should be maintained.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

said by FLASH71145:

Back to the point. Where all of a sudden did they find the power. If they can do it once, that broadcast level should be maintained.

What does broadcast power have to do with overcompression on redistributed plants?
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix