Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zencyl

join:2009-07-24
Huntsville, TX

First DSLR

Hey all, so this morning I ordered my first DSLR. I have been researching and reading the past few months and found a refurbished nikon d5100 for a great price and it is on its way. I have been reading about everything I can do with a DSLR and I can't wait to start playing with it. I just thought I would post and say hi, and see if anyone had any tips or tricks that you wish you knew when you got your first DSLR? I look forward to being around here alot more.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
I got my first DSLR a little over a year ago and I wish I had found out about this book (which I just bought to read on my iPad) "Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D: From Snapshots to Great Shots"

There's a similar one for your Nikon by a different guy, it might be worth reading the reviews and checking out.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to zencyl
great choice!

I'm the type that learns alot by doing. I just got out with my camera and got to know it by just taking pictures. there are some great websites that helped me along too to start out. I would recommend taking a look at Digital Photography School. They have a bunch of tutorials and an interactive forum that has weekly assignments to give you practice.

and like darcilicious See Profile said, there's also a book, From Snapshots to Great Shots for your camera, that I found very useful for my camera model.

And never be afraid to post a pic here for critique. We are a helpful bunch
--
| map your city |

waynegilbert
Blessed
Premium
join:2004-09-26
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to zencyl

My first DSLR
That was my first DSLR Actually it was a Canon 20D and I don't miss any of them including the Nikon's.

EGeezer
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to zencyl
the first thin I did was to sit down with the owner's manual and the camera. Then, I read about every control and played with them as I read.

When I could identify all the buttons and switches withoiut usig the book, I then started taking photos with it.

That approach really helped me get started with much less fumbling around to find what i needed. .

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
said by EGeezer:

the first thin I did was to sit down with the owner's manual and the camera. Then, I read about every control and played with them as I read.

When I could identify all the buttons and switches withoiut usig the book, I then started taking photos with it.

That approach really helped me get started with much less fumbling around to find what i needed. .

Reading the Manual is highly recommended whether it's your first DSLR or your 15th. Mine also came with a Quick Start Guide that I kept in my camera bag for the first year or so. Even though I've read all 400+ pages of the manual it never hurts to have the short version close at hand. My main camera is now a few years old but I still go back to the manual from time to time for functions I don't normally use