spc
uniqs

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Finspy trojan requires a licence to export outside the EU...

said by StuartMW:

said by KodiacZiller:

While I agree with the British government's decision to restrict the export of such software to oppressive regimes...

Ok. How would you implement such a restriction? It is trivial to get code anywhere (with or without internet access).

I wouldn't. There's no way to do so. The Brits are using outdated crypto export laws as a way to do it in this case, but such an approach is nothing but theatre.

The U.S. tried to exercise the export laws against Phil Zimmermann in the 90's because of his dissemination of PGP. So he took the code to PGP and published it in a book and sent copies of the book abroad. A very clever tactic it was since books are protected by the 1st amendment. The government knew it was a losing battle and dropped all charges. Shortly after, Clinton and company relaxed the crypto export restrictions.

My only point was that I agree with the *intentions* of the British government, not with the practicality of enforcing it. I cringe when I hear tech companies are making money by aiding oppressive regimes in their surveillance programs. FinSpy is but one example. An example of an American company doing the same thing is Narus (owned by Boeing) with it's ISP snooping hardware (this is the hardware NSA used to tap AT&T's backbone). Narus has also sold these boxes to oppressive regimes in the Middle East and appear to be getting away with doing so. And they have a former Deputy Director of NSA on their Board of Directors. Money trumps morals in this case.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by KodiacZiller:

Money trumps morals in this case.

Agreed. But that has always been the case and always will be which is why such "restrictions" are pointless IMO.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller
why I wrote PGP

»www.philzimmermann.com/E ··· PGP.html

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird

Premium Member

quote:
... The government has a track record that does not inspire confidence that they will never abuse our civil liberties. ...
Perhaps the understatement of our lifetime, made over 10 years ago, and even more relevant today.