Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to I_H8_Spam

Re: [Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplu

said by I_H8_Spam:

I'd like to know how Mac's are being cloned, is this an inside job maybe provisioning has a leak? Or is someone on the node sniffing for mac addresses?

Frankly, I don't think it was a cloned MAC address. Two interfaces with the same MAC on the same network? All hell would break loose. Cogeco would know about that in a heartbeat.

I think the account's usage numbers got fudged, willfully or otherwise, and Cogeco got caught.

I would strongly urge your friends to start kicking this up the Cogeco customer service food chain (I'm thinking Quebec), and get the media involved.

This is newsworthy.

Perhaps Karl would consider posting this on the DSLr homepage. I mean, inaccurate meter horror stories are becoming commonplace, but usage on a powered down modem? Wow. I know how I spell it.

F.R.A.U.D.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by dillyhammer:

Frankly, I don't think it was a cloned MAC address. Two interfaces with the same MAC on the same network? All hell would break loose. Cogeco would know about that in a heartbeat.

I believe it only becomes an issue if those two macs are on the same node.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Gone:

I believe it only becomes an issue if those two macs are on the same node.

Yes apparently so.

And according to Cogeco a CMTS polls cable modems for usage information.

I'm trying to understand how a CMTS polls a modem with a MAC address, and then polls a different modem with the same MAC address on a different node, then reconciles those 2 distinct usage reports to one user's bill.

Or conversely, a CMTS polls a modem with a MAC address, a different CMTS polls a different modem on a different node with the same MAC address, how would those two usage reports from two different CMTS's, two different nodes, two different modems with the same MAC address be reconciled to one user's bill.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

The data is most likely combined. A MAC is a MAC. There's no way to identify the modem beyond that.