uniqs
share rss forum feed

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to NormanS

Re:  

CCleaner program is not snake oil, but "registry cleaners" can be categorized as such.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by PrntRhd:

CCleaner program is not snake oil, but "registry cleaners" can be categorized as such.

I don't know what else CCleaner does; only ever see it mentioned in the context of registry cleaning.

Supposedly a registry "gunked up" with orphan entries slows things down. I have no empirical evidence in support of that claim. I recently had a case of "slow browsing"; similar to a saturated upload. Ran a number of diagnostics, but found no evidence of mystery applications uploading stuff. It finally hit me, after a 'tracert' failed for trying to trace to an IPv6 address: I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish a '6in4' tunnel to HE. Apparently, the TCP/IP stack decided I was on a pure IPv6 network, and was trying to resolve AAAA records (IPv6) before falling back to A records (IPv4).

I doubt if a registry cleaner could have fixed that. Not even certain about CCleaner. But MS includes a nifty utility, at least since Windows XP. I just ran System Restore to a point prior to my failed attempt to create a 6in4 tunnel. All is now back to normal.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by NormanS:

I don't know what else CCleaner does; only ever see it mentioned in the context of registry cleaning.

Supposedly a registry "gunked up" with orphan entries slows things down.

In theory yes. In practicality its a very miniscule amount - an amount that any system built in the last 5 or 6 years is easily able to overcome with near total transparency to the user. It's the same basis with which programmers write (or should write) their code, to be as efficient on resources as possible. It stemmed from the good old days when the processors were slow & inefficient. A modern processor running through an extra 100 lines of code is quite different than it's elderly counterpart running the same code 15+ years ago.

On a sidenote, CCleaner has quite a few handy features aside from registry cleaning. It supports temp file cleaning and provides an environment from which to uninstall applications or remove the entries to those applications from add/remove (in the semi-common case of the program listed but already removed). The same can be done through the Windows registry but CCleaner has a clean interface which avoids issues related to removing wrong registry values. It also has 'secure delete' functionality among other things.

I have used CCleaner for years, I have never had it bork a system and I have never had a customer / friend / family member had a borked system from using it. The same cannot be said about Registry Mechanic, et al.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to NormanS

NormanS,

Read what psafux posted.

You have to look under Tools in CCleaner to even find the registry cleaner, it is not CCleaner's primary purpose.
CCleaner is a great free utility program that cleans installers and temp files left on the system after badly behaved installers have finished loading programs, something that is all too common.

Registry cleaners have risks, remove just one incorrectly targeted DLL and you just hosed the Windows installation.
The registry cleaner in CCleaner always prompts the user to back up the registry in case something goes badly.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to psafux

I have a similar experience with defragging. Minuscule--if any--benefit.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

said by sivran:

I have a similar experience with defragging. Minuscule--if any--benefit.

If you're just checking email or browsing the web sure. When you go to play a game that's trying to load a couple gigs of data that is split up in 500 places around the hard drive it can begin to make a pretty noticeable difference.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Indeed my friend....... DEFRAGGING is quite good! (And faster doesnt mean better when defragging)

I use the defrag program that came with Windows... I tried using WinME's defrag and i notice it goes TOO FAST and misses some stuff... (Its not as good as 98's defrag)

Speed is not something you should want when DEFRAGGING,you want a good job done!!

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

I recently had a case of "slow browsing"; similar to a saturated upload. Ran a number of diagnostics, but found no evidence of mystery applications uploading stuff. It finally hit me, after a 'tracert' failed for trying to trace to an IPv6 address: I had attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish a '6in4' tunnel to HE. Apparently, the TCP/IP stack decided I was on a pure IPv6 network, and was trying to resolve AAAA records (IPv6) before falling back to A records (IPv4).

I doubt if a registry cleaner could have fixed that.

It wouldn't have. It wouldn't have have added air to a tire with a slow leak, or fixed a squeaky door either.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Xioden

I got games. I play them. I also frequently load up some large files--truecrypt file-based volume, movies, etc.

I also defragged a friend's laptop after three years of neglect. No improvement.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY

said by sivran:

I got games. I play them. I also frequently load up some large files--truecrypt file-based volume, movies, etc.

I also defragged a friend's laptop after three years of neglect. No improvement.

Stuff like movies you won't notice unless it's extremely bad, since players use buffers. Disable buffering and if the movie is fragmented enough you will have issues viewing it without pauses.

After 3 years of neglect, fragmented files is probably the least of the issues with your friends laptop, or the fragmentation isn't that bad.

Defragmenting will also only yield better load times if the files that are being loaded are fragmented, as well as how they are fragmented. You take a 1GB file, and slip in a 24KB file at the 500MB mark, thus fragmenting the file into 2 pieces, there won't really be any performance hit beyond 1-2ms. Now split that file up all over the drive to where for a single file it has to basically go over the entire disk platter...

Defragmenting can absolutely improve loading times, and oftentimes not just by miniscule amounts. It's not even remotely comparable to registry cleaning.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX

I think people suffer a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to these things.

That laptop's hard drive was a near-solid mass of yellow (fragged) in MyDefrag.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY

Again, just because a file is fragmented does not mean there is going to be a large performance hit due to it.

Having shown quite a few people how to defrag specific files for games so that they are all in the same location on the hard drive has resulted in massive load time reductions for some of them (talking 5+ minute load times down to under a minute).

There is no "confirmation bias" either, you can readily measure the read time of files before and after defragmenting them.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX

Got a utility for measuring read times?

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY