MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Libra

MVM

to Libra

Re: Is Fios Triple Play still a good choice

said by Libra:

My HP printer states that you must use an analog line, that a digital won't work.

What comes out of the ONT is analog (POTS).

What the HP manual is referring to are primarily office phone systems where the connection from the phone to the switch is a proprietary digital or VOIP connection.
said by Libra:

Is there anything I need to know about the Actiontek router (like model, revision number) to be sure what I get is good.

The installer should provide a rev I (the latest) on a new install. It's good to ask just to make sure.
said by Libra:

in the basement where I imagine the ONT, etc. would go there are outlets but none available for this. There is an outlet across the room - would they be able to use that?

Is a power strip an option?
Or a six outlet adapter like this?

To answer your question, yes, VZ can install the battery backup unit (BBU) on the other side of the room and run low voltage wire to the ONT as long as the distance is less than 50 feet.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I didn't realize the signal from the ONT is analog!

I checked out the basement. There is a strip with 2 available outlets remaining where I think they would put the ONT.

I appreciate your help very much. I think we'll be calling to set this up soon.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra

Premium Member

I called Verizon today and got a 2 year contract. They're installing this Wednesday. I was told that after installation if I want the higher memory MR DVR I have to order it online for a one-time cost of $20. I would have preferred to just order the installation with that included. I hope the site will be specific to show that I can order the 7232.

In order to get 2 premium channels we're getting the Extreme HD plan which includes 50mbps/25mbps.

When I questioned the model of dvr and actiontek the salesman didn't know what I was talking about.

I hope it all goes well. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Ask the installer what model DVR he's installing. If he says 7216, ask him if he has a 7232 on his truck. Chances he will have one and will give it to you if you ask.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thanks More Fiber. I hope that works because my daugter doesn't want to set up one DVR and then have to do it again whenever we get the 7232. If they don't have a 7232 available I'll be canceling this.

I was about to call and tell them this on the phone, but I hope we'll be lucky with the installer having one on the truck.

Sincerely, Libra

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to More Fiber

MVM

to More Fiber
Returned 7216's are getting upgraded to 500GB hard drives...

So even though the installer may have a 7216 doesn't mean it is 160GB.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by nycdave:

Returned 7216's are getting upgraded to 500GB hard drives...

That's going to cause lots and lots of confusion unless there is a sticker on the unit indicating it has been upgraded.

Otherwise, people may end up paying the $40 upgrade fee for nothing.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
That's good to know. I'll make sure I question the size of the hard drive. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to More Fiber

MVM

to More Fiber
They will have an updated label indicating the larger HD capacity.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by nycdave:

They will have an updated label indicating the larger HD capacity.

Thanks Dave. I've updated the FAQ. Hopefully that will reduce some of the confusion.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Libra

Premium Member

Not very happy with the install

I am editing this post since it was too long. I can mention one problem at a time.

Triple Play was installed yesterday. I'm not very happy with Verizon. They gave us old, refurbished equipment and no manuals.

I will discuss the router now. The installer gave me the Actiontec M1424WR FiosN Router - REV E. I asked him to help me set up WPA-2 and he told me I couldn't with this router. He would give me the WEP. Thank God I had asked here a while ago how to set up the WPA-2 in the Actiontec - I followed those instructions and set it up. The Authentication method said "pre-shared key". I put in my own password. I tried but was unable to change the name of the SSID.

My other desktop and laptop both show "no internet access" in the icon representing a connection. Meanwhile both computers can access the internet. Is this normal after changing from DSL to Fios? The installer had me right-click on the no access message and Windows troubleshot it and said there is internet access. Also, I got a message saying I didn't have networK?? I tested the printer which is connected with the ethernet cable and it works in both computers.

The router is HOT. Is this to be expected when the router has the stbs listed? I did not receive a stand for the router, although I did ask the installer for one.

Just curious, what is the WAN for on the back of the router? Nothing is in it.

Thank you for any comments on these items.

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Sorry your install didn't go smoothly and you didn't get the equipment you wanted.

Router manuals can be found online.
»www.actiontec.com/produc ··· ?pid=188
You can also find it on the VZ site, but not sure VZ has version specific manuals.

I don't think there is a manual for the STB/DVR.

There should be no problem changing the SSID.
Click on the wireless settings icon.
Select basic settings from the left menu.
Make sure wireless is enabled.
Enter the SSID you want on line 2.
Apply.

Try calling VZ support and telling them the router the tech gave you doesn't support your wireless-N only devices. You may be able to get a rev. F or later router which does support wireless-N.

Not sure why your PC's are showing no internet access.
What OS? If Windows, have your done an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW ?

Don't know what you mean by "I didn't have network".

Yes, the older Actiontec routers run very hot. As long as there is plenty of air circulation, doesn't seem to affect them.

The router supports either coax or cat5 WAN connection to the ONT. If you had a cat5 WAN connection, that would connect to the WAN port on the back of the router.

With regard to the 6416 you mentioned in your post before editing it, the 6416 is an older, slower DVR. it does not support the 16x9 IMG. Nor does it support adding an external eSata drive. I'm surprised VZ is issuing them on new installs. VZ was doing so about a year ago after the flood in Thailand cause a drive shortage, but yours is the first report I've seen lately of a 6416 on a new install. Again, I would suggest calling and complaining. Tell them you were promised you could connect your eSata drive. You should be able to get them to send you a 7216. I found a 7216 with a 1TB external drive was quite adequate.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi More Fiber,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, things are going from bad to worse. After reading your message I tried to access the router and when I start to type in my password it is putting in 7 digits, then a few more. In any event I can't get in. I tried it from another wired computer and it did the same thing.

We are also having problems with the Fios in one bedroom which we got a DVR for (they gave us the old 6416-2 there also). The tech didn't connect the dvd/vcr player properly. A friend came by and tried to help - now we have no tv whatsover in that room.

With all of this and my inability to find a way to order a new MR DVR with 500 gb - I called tech support. He tried to help with the tv and router, but even cutting and pasting the password into the router also ended with a "login failed".

He's going to have a supervisor call before someone comes out today (I hope). He questioned if we already had Fios and didn't know why we were given such old equipment. The installer said he only had refurbished equipment on his truck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't mention this to the tech on the phone today, but are you familiar with the plain STB QIP2500-3. It can't identify my television (an odd name, Daewoo) I'm wondering if it is old and possibly a newer version would help. As it stands now the only thing the remote will do is change channels and go into the menu, guide. It's a bit annoying.

Sincerely, Libra

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Libra:

when I start to type in my password it is putting in 7 digits, then a few more.

That is a supposed security feature. Just ignore the extra dots. Cut and paste is disabled, so that won't work. If all else fails, do a hard reset on the router, you'll be prompted to enter a new user name and password.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »I can't login to the VZ router
said by Libra:

We are also having problems with the Fios in one bedroom which we got a DVR for (they gave us the old 6416-2 there also). The tech didn't connect the dvd/vcr player properly. A friend came by and tried to help - now we have no tv whatsover in that room.

The VZ DVRs don't have aux-in jacks.
Does you DVD player support component video (red,blue,green cables) in and out? If so, then you can do this:

DVR(out)--component-->(in)DVD(out)--component-->TV

If your DVD player does not support component video in and out, then you're going to be constrained to SD if you want the DVD player between the VZ DVR and the TV. If the DVD player has only composite video (red,white,yellow cables) in and out, then you can do this:

DVR(out)--composite-->(in)DVD(out)--composite-->TV

Of course if your TV supports multiple inputs, you can connect it directly to the TV.
said by Libra:

I didn't mention this to the tech on the phone today, but are you familiar with the plain STB QIP2500-3. It can't identify my television (an odd name, Daewoo)

I assume we're talking about the two button remote. The two button remote has very limited device support. I don't know if the four button remote supports Daewoo or not. (I'm not at home and don't have access to the programming guide for the 4 button remote). My suggestion is to get a true universal remote such as a Harmony One.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

More Fiber, the 2 button remote covers over 98% of all TV's ever manufactured. The 4-button remote had quite a few less codes than the 2-button.

The OP needs to follow the code search directions carefully in order to find the correct code for their TV:

»www22.verizon.com/Suppor ··· etup.htm

Daewoo is showing code 086.