spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mcpowderman

@dslextreme.com

DSL Extreme Contract Renewal Rate

Greetings, I got notice that one of my DSL Extreme accounts was up for renewal. When I called to renew my account they were going to raise the rate from $15 to $25 per month for the same speed. I tried to reason with the agent but she told me that that was the best she could do. They are advertising new service for $12.95 per month and I have been paying $15 per month and was content to continue paying $15. ATT is offering the same service speed (which is exactly what I have now) for $15. I guess that no one at DSL Extreme realizes how much more expensive it is to get a new customer compared to an existing customer who is already paying $2.00 per month more. I have been a very satisfied DSL Extreme customer for years and have referred other customers to them. I currently have 3 accounts including my business, my home and my vacation home. Guess when those accounts come up for renewal I'll have to shop for a new service provider then also.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
When I had AT&T DSL service, I couldn't get a reduction to save my life. I was last able to do that in the SBC days. Isn't DSLX pricing tied to what AT&T allows?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mcpowderman

@dslextreme.com
I guess that they pass along the pricing that AT&T charges them but AT&T is only charging $15 per month for the same service that DSLX wants to charge me $25 per month for. I'll get 20 months of service from AT&T at the same price I'd get 12 months of service from DSLX. What would you do?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mcpowderman :

I guess that they pass along the pricing that AT&T charges them but AT&T is only charging $15 per month for the same service that DSLX wants to charge me $25 per month for. I'll get 20 months of service from AT&T at the same price I'd get 12 months of service from DSLX. What would you do?

That sounds like a "new customer" promotional offer. Friend of mine has 'at&t Yahoo! Basic'. She was paying $14.95; but when her year was up the price jumped to $19.95. They won't give her another deal.

My last deal was in the SBC days, when they upgraded me to 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service Pro' for $17.95. After a year, price went up to $24.95; and they never allowed me a deal after that.

SBC went on to buy AT&T, re-brand as AT&T, then buy Bellsouth. BS customers were torqued because we legacy SBC customers were paying less for more. The BS equivalent to my $24.95 1536/512 service was $33.95 1536/384 service. So AT&T began ratcheting legacy SBC prices up to legacy BS levels. When I finally left AT&T, my bill was up to $35; and that tier is now $38 without promotional pricing.

I already "did". When AT&T implemented the 150 GB cap with overage fee, I fired them. I now have Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion"; phone and Internet for $39.95 plus PUC required fees and taxes. Half the price of the AT&T service, and nearly double the speed down.

"Fusion" requires that the customer have a connection to a CO equipped with a Sonic.net ADSL2+ SLAM; otherwise all that they can offer is the same as DSLX offers.

I suppose you could rotate service and always get a new sub discount. AT&T for a while, then DSLX, then Sonic.net. And back to AT&T as time passes and you qualify as a "new" sub.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mcpowderman

@dslextreme.com
Good idea to rotate to get the best rate. As a business owner I was trying to be loyal and also to let them know that a customer in the hand is worth 2 in the bush but I guess that they'll need to learn that on their own.