Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

[Weather] Batten Down the Hatches

TS Lesley is coming, and may bring hurricane force winds, along with 100 mm + rain.

All small objects outside have been locked away.
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
Good luck to you out there and stay safe! Looks like it has the potential to affect a significant swath of the Maritimes.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
reply to Robert
Figures it'll strike the day I'm flying into St. John's. Just hope my flight arrives before the storm.

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
said by BGB:

Figures it'll strike the day I'm flying into St. John's. Just hope my flight arrives before the storm.

What are you doing in St. John's
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Robert:

said by BGB:

What are you doing in St. John's

Just heading down to visit my mother for her birthday.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

TS Lesley is coming, and may bring hurricane force winds, along with 100 mm + rain.

All small objects outside have been locked away.

Surfing should be good, though.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Robert
WOCN31 CWHX 092345
TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION STATEMENT UPDATED BY THE CANADIAN HURRICANE CENTRE OF ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 8:43 PM ADT SUNDAY
9 SEPTEMBER 2012.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION STATEMENT FOR:
LABRADOR
NEWFOUNDLAND
NOVA SCOTIA
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND.

FOR TROPICAL STORM LESLIE.

THE NEXT STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY 3:00 AM ADT.

VERY LARGE TROPICAL STORM LESLIE ENROUTE TO ATLANTIC CANADA
WITH DIRECT AND INDIRECT IMPACTS - HEAVY RAINFALL AND HIGH
WINDS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
1. SUMMARY OF BASIC INFORMATION AT 9.00 PM ADT.

ABOUT 310 KILOMETRES EAST-NORTHEAST OF BERMUDA.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS: 100 KM/HOUR.

PRESENT MOVEMENT: NORTH AT 22 KM/H.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE: 988 MB.

2. PUBLIC WEATHER IMPACTS AND WARNINGS SUMMARY.

OVERVIEW:

THERE WILL BE DIRECT AND INDIRECT IMPACTS IN ATLANTIC CANADA AS
FOLLOWS: A FRONT IS FORECAST TO STALL OVER THE MARITIMES DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF LESLIE TO THE SOUTH. 40 TO 50 MILLIMETRES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN ALREADY OVER PARTS OF WESTERN NOVA SCOTIA. RAINFALL WARNINGS ALREADY IN EFFECT FOR NOVA SCOTIA, PEI AND WESTERN NEWFOUNDLAND ARE RELATED TO THE FRONT AND NOT FROM LESLIE. THE FRONT WILL LIKELY THEN MERGE WITH LESLIE WITH THE COMBINED SYSTEMS CROSSING NEWFOUNDLAND ON TUESDAY GIVING ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL TO MOST OF THE ALREADY WARNED AREAS. THE LIKELIHOOD OF LESLIE'S CENTRE MAKING LANDFALL SOMEWHERE IN NEWFOUNDLAND IS QUITE HIGH NOW (85%). THE STORM'S EFFECTS WILL BE FAR-REACHING WITH A CIRCULATION ABOUT 800 KILOMETRES IN DIAMETER SO DO NOT PUT MUCH FOCUS ON THE LINE ON THE TRACK MAP.

MUCH-SMALLER HURRICANE MICHAEL WELL TO THE EAST OF LESLIE IS NOT EXPECTED TO CAUSE MUCH OF AN ISSUE. IT APPEARS THAT STORM WILL LIKELY BE BYPASSED BY LESLIE'S LARGE CIRCULATION. MONITOR IT.

A. WIND.

WIND IMPACTS FROM THE ACTUAL CIRCULATION OF LESLIE ARE NOW EXPECTED OVER NEWFOUNDLAND AND POSSIBLY CAPE BRETON. THIS IS LOOKING LIKE A TUESDAY EVENT IN TERMS OF WINDS. NORTHERLY WINDS GUSTING TO AT LEAST
80 KM/H ARE PROBABLE OVER EASTERN CAPE BRETON TUESDAY MORNING.
SOUTHERLY WINDS GUSTING TO AT LEAST 100 KM/H ARE PROBABLE IN NEWFOUNDLAND. HOWEVER THESE NUMBERS CAN EASILY CHANGE DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH REINTENSIFICATION OCCURS.

B. RAINFALL.

VERY HEAVY RAINFALL FROM THE MERGED FRONT/HURRICANE IS EXPECTED OVER NOVA SCOTIA, PEI AND NEWFOUNDLAND. EVENT-TOTAL RAINFALL OF 100-150 MILLIMETRES (4 TO 6 INCHES) ARE POSSIBLE BASED ON THE COMPUTER MODELS AND EXPERIENCE WITH SETUPS LIKE THIS IN THE PAST. LOCATION OF THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL WILL BE CLEARER A BIT LATER, BUT AT THIS TIME THE MOST LIKELY SWATH OF HIGHEST AMOUNTS INCLUDES EASTERN MAINLAND NOVA SCOTIA, CAPE BRETON, AND WESTERN NEWFOUNDLAND. RAINFALLS IN THIS RANGE COULD LEAD TO FLOODING ISSUES AND IT IS ENCOURAGED THAT RESIDENTS TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT. WATER LEVELS ARE GENERALLY LOW IN THE FORE-MENTIONED AREAS AFTER A DRY SEASON, BUT FLASH-TYPE FLOODING COULD BE AN ISSUE IN VULNERABLE AREAS.

C. SURGE/WAVES.

MODERATE SURF CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST ALONG SOUTH-FACING COASTLINES OF NOVA SCOTIA AND NEWFOUNDLAND THROUGH MONDAY. HEAVIER SURF CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP MONDAY NIGHT ALONG THE ENTIRE ATLANTIC COAST OF NOVA SCOTIA. ON TUESDAY AS THE STORM ARRIVES IN NEWFOUNDLAND THERE WILL LIKELY BE SOME VERY HEAVY SURF AND SURGE IMPACTS.
DETAILS WILL COME IN SUBSEQUENT BULLETINS.

3. MARINE WEATHER IMPACTS AND WARNINGS SUMMARY.

A LARGE PORTION OF THE OFFSHORE MARINE DISTRICT WILL BE AFFECTED BY LESLIE AND COMBINED FRONT. STORM AND/OR HURRICANE-FORCE WIND WARNINGS MAY BE POSTED FOR SOME MARITIME AND NEWFOUNDLAND WATERS WITH EARLY MONDAY MORNING FORECAST.

VISIT WEATHEROFFICE.GC.CA/HURRICANE (ALL IN LOWER CASE) FOR THE
LATEST:

- FORECAST POSITION, CENTRAL PRESSURE TABLE.

- STRENGTH AND PREDICTED WIND RADII TABLE.

- HURRICANE TRACK INFORMATION MAP.

- TECHNICAL DISCUSSION.

PLEASE ALSO REFER TO THE PUBLIC AND MARINE FORECASTS AND WARNINGS ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA FOR YOUR AREA.

END
--

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
reply to Robert
Stay safe Robert.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
said by kim:

Stay safe Robert.

x2

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to Robert
We love to bitch about weather over here however you guys probably do get some of the most extreme weather in the nation.

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
12 meter sig waves predicted. I will try to get out to middle cove beach for you folks and take some pics (high up of course)
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Robert
Flooding in Nova Scotia. Stanfields forced to evacuate plant after dyke breaks, leading to news headline, "Stanfields wets pants"
--

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
Waterloo, ON
reply to Robert
And with the storm blowing when I'm scheduled to arrive, my flight was canceled. At least westjet were able to get me on the pm flight.

Hope everyone down there stays safe.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Robert
It should be coming ashore any time now.

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
reply to Robert
Localised flooding, trees uprooting, no power for the entire north east Avalon (5 0% population). Roofs blowing off. RNC and RCMP advising people stay home. And to top it off, a brother admitted for appendicitis. What a day in Newfoundland.
--

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
reply to Robert
I will say sorry in advance

(it's my name if you missed that )

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Robert
Click for full size
Saw this picture on Twitter of some of the damage... I can hear that conversation now.

"Honey, I need to buy a new Corvette." "Why Dear?" "The Shed tried to eat the old one".