Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Blackbird

Re: FBI begins installation of $1 bil face recognition system

said by Blackbird:

Some time ago, I elected to use my passport for ID when flying, and that's one of the key reasons I always keep it current.

I haven't flown for a few years now (used to all the time for business) so I guess I'll keep my passport current too. In some cases (e.g. to open a PO box) you need two gummint issued photo ID's.

Edit: My bad. Just two ID's.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I didn't remember that California was a no compliance state!

Not sure if this is current but the list I found is:

quote:
Arizona, Georgia, Oregon, and Washington, with laws forbidding them to comply with Real ID and 8 states, including Colorado, Hawaii, and Illinois, that have enacted resolutions effectively boycotting it.

»news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20039568-281.html
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

We are not listed as "no comply" because the matter is still under discussion in Sacramento, as I understand it. DHS seems to think they will comply, eventually. But DMV isn't pressuring license holders to upgrade.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to StuartMW

BTW i see that (some of) the media is pushing the FBI system as a "crime fighting measure" (also depends on what is a "crime"). Of course the FBI (and others) would never dream of using data it gains from this technology for other purposes.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to Grail Knight

said by Grail Knight:

Seriously tho even with horror stories and false IDs
sure to come down the road it could prove useful in the consumer market on smart phones.

My phone and tablet both use facial recognition for unlocking them...

well.... they have the capability of it...
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I believe it was Mele20 See Profile that pointed out that some Samsung TV's like to look as well.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to Grail Knight

read the short story instead...

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

After December 31, 2012 you must have a Real ID driver's license (or current Passport) if you wish to fly anywhere in the USA.

/Conspiracy theory on

Maybe so the FBI's facial recognition system can identify you more positively.

/Conspiracy theory off

I always wonder why seeing the obvious things always require "conspiracy theory" brackets?

Are we now have to think only the way we've been programmed taught to think? And now, when we try to do it by ourselves, we have always to put it in a "conspiracy theory" brackets. I think it's a bad sign for a every free country, isn't?

If FBI is going to spend $1 Bln on face recognition, isn't that obvious that it would work more reliably, if they deal with the latest photos?

To me "the need" to excuse ourselves from a serious talk when we try to tell what we actually think is more important (and actually sad) sign, than the new face recognition project wasting $1 Bln of tax money...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

said by OZO:

I always wonder why seeing the obvious things always require "conspiracy theory" brackets?

Because someone will always post demanding proof for any conjecture. Of course one can't provide any because of the secrecy of the agencies involved but to many unless you have documentation (which wll be "fake" anyway) arguing is pointless.

Unfortunately adding 1 and 1 and getting 2 is often seen as "conspiracy theorism".
--

OZO
Premium

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

Unfortunately adding 1 and 1 and getting 2 is often seen as "conspiracy theorism".

You're right. But isn't that because we have taught to believe, that the government always knows it better and everyone, who may disagree, should now be labeled as "conspiracy theorist"? It looks like we're losing the ability (and become to be afraid of) to think for ourselves...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by OZO:

...we have taught to believe, that the government always knows it better...

I wasn't taught that nor do I believe it. However that seems to be the prevailing opinion these days.
--

OZO
Premium

I agree...

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to StuartMW

Ever notice that it's always the "other" people who were taught the things we don't agree with?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

Not sure if this is current but the list I found is:

quote:
Arizona, Georgia, Oregon, and Washington, with laws forbidding them to comply with Real ID and 8 states, including Colorado, Hawaii, and Illinois, that have enacted resolutions effectively boycotting it.

»news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20039568-281.html

That's not current as Hawaii enacted Real ID this year saying that the Feds were forcing the issue by denying air travel next year without a Real ID or US Passport. Passport is a LOT more expensive than a driver's license renewal although I had to pay double last year for license renewal but the number of years doubled also. However, since I have to get a new one just one year later....not for the full fee for 8 years, but more than the fee if yours is lost or stolen...that is unfair. Plus, there is the time and effort issue.

But a Passport is MORE HASSLE to get, and costs a lot more, and is an ADDITIONAL cost since I still need a current driver's license. Plus, I have no plans to travel outside my home state much less to other nations.

Maybe the new license won't be as ugly as the current one I have where my neck has a big black "hole" in it. You have to look closely to see that the "hole" is actually a map picture of the island chain and the Big Island happens to hit right on the neck. Hawaii licenses used to be so nice looking but now garish colors and that "hole".

There is a third choice which is to get a state ID card. It is mostly for those who don't drive but I think the fee is more than the cost of getting a Real ID license for a license that has 7 plus years left on it. The time and hassle would be the same as the state ID card is issued by DMV I think and requires the birth certificate, etc.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

I have not flown in the past few years where I did not have to present a photo ID or passport in the US. Photo drivers license was fine. Guess if you don't drive or your state does not use photo on the driver's license..it's harder to prove who you are.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Mele20

License or ID

»www.howtoliveinhawaii.com/4299/g···tate-id/
New style license
»mauinow.com/2012/01/09/state-imp···rements/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

The information on the first link is dangerously OUTDATED and shame on the author for not updating it.

The second link is ok except that is a poor "sample" of current drivers license in Hawaii.

The only reason Hawaii is doing this is so we can continue to fly. The Feds are bullies and forced this on us.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

I was trying to find sample of the ones where photos had the hole you talked about.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Oh. It is not on that one. Mine has red at the top not that green in the sample. The string of Hawaiian islands starts with Kauai in the bottom left corner of the photo and curves upward with the Big lsland being at the end. It is the largest island so that makes a black spot that is very noticeable and right on my neck. I've seen a few others that were issued last year with the image of the Big Island half on the person's neck and half to the right side just on the photo's blue background. That is not as bad looking but still.. the idea is stupid. At least, they could have started with the island chain with Kauai at the top of the curve, and it is so small it would have been a very small black dot on the neck, and the Big Island would have been down in a corner. I didn't even realize it was a picture of the chain of Hawaiian Islands when I first saw my new license. The other islands are tiny in their depiction and I didn't even notice them until I looked really closely. I thought, at first, that some mistake had been made with my photo.
--

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to dave

The short story is even scarier.
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to dave

The government has a tendency to wake up each morning and change roles...it still stinks.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Name Game:

The government has a tendency to wake up each morning and change roles...it still stinks.

But those are rolls, not roles. ;P

A related poll: »aqfl.net/node/6447 :P

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

There are many rolls, such as property tax, voter registration, welfare. Who knows on what rolls each of us may be found? Yes, they all tend to stink.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

said by Name Game:

I am on a conservation kick right now so vote for the leaf cutters.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by Name Game:

said by antdude:

said by Name Game:

I am voting for cheetahs. :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by antdude:

I am voting for cheetahs. :P

I like the crunchy ones better than the puffy ones!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

Is that leaf-cutting for everyone or just the top 1% ?

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

1% if you dig sheryl crow
»www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2···ws.music

If you are like the rest of us..follow Bubba's advice. He has already been recognized by the FBI..and will be visited by the current candidates shortly for special awards.
The outhouse has no comment.
ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofDuTmFpL8
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

said by Name Game:

1% if you dig sheryl crow
»www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2···ws.music

ONE sheet per visit? Geez...that has gotta be because of cell phone caused brain tumor which has caused her brain to be "mushy".

»www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar···shy.html
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Mele20:

ONE sheet per visit?

You didn't know about that?

That's why her nickname is "stinky fingers"

And maybe why it didn't work out with Lance Armstrong.
--