uniqs
share rss forum feed

KingOfPants
Premium
join:2002-11-11
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Can I build this myself for cheaper?

Haven't worked up the courage to check out yet. Made some changes to add some upgrade potential to it, for the future. (Mainly mobo and power supply to support crossfire, and the recent drop in the amd cards.) Could you check it for any conflicts? Much thanks.

Power supply - $89.99
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···17182133

GPU - $245.99
XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···14150605

Mother Board - $139.99
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···13138355

Hard drive - $109.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···22136533

Do I also need to buy any additional wires or should all that come with the parts?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

Conflicts? You just need to make sure your mobo is for the processor socket you selected (it is) and that the RAM is compatible with your mobo (less an issue these days).

All wires you need should be included. Most all will come with your PSU for power. Your optical drive should have a wire for sound if you want to connect that up and your video card should have adapters, if needed, for getting connected to your monitor.

Hypnotics

join:2009-08-19
Bryan, TX
reply to KingOfPants

I would stay with a Asus, Gigabyte or a ASrock. But that is just me.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to KingOfPants

That Biostar board is fine, it has 13 phase power design and solid caps. Just be aware that it only has two SATA III ports.

You might get a slightly nicer board with an Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, or MSI.

If you plan to expand to multiple GPUs, get the 750w PSU you selected. Otherwise the 550 one is fine.

I have heard that XFX has atrocious customer service, you may want to select a different brand of GPU.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 edit
reply to KingOfPants

Don't forget a good CPU cooler, I am not a fan of the stock Ivy Bridge one, as in my experience (with an i5-3450) it cannot adequately cooler the CPU at stock speeds.

I suggest this: »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···35103099

Also you may want to order good thermal paste (I like Arctic Silver), and a static grounding strap.

If you don't have a computer screwdriver kit, you might want to get one as well.

It's also good to have a couple extra SATA cables on hand too, in case you have trouble with an HDD want to rule out a bad cable.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

KingOfPants
Premium
join:2002-11-11
Canada
kudos:1

Great, much thanks for advice.
Things are starting to add up.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

If you don't have a computer screwdriver kit, you might want to get one as well.

Can't recommend this enough, it usually comes with a "plunger" tool that grabs your screws and makes sure you don't drop them into your unfinished assembly. It's kept me building without killing anyone while I'm doing it.

edit: The plunger tool is right there in the picture... you won't regret this purchase I promise.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to KingOfPants

said by KingOfPants:

Great, much thanks for advice.
Things are starting to add up.

Stuff like the screwdriver kit and static strap are one-time purchases. My static strap is at least a decade old...
--