share rss forum feed

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to motorola870

Re: Just got a new firmware on my SBG6580!

Just got it here SBG6580-3.5.8.2

a Word of warning

Web pages TAKE a very long time to load

Approximate 5 to 15 seconds per web page to load since this firmware update

this firmware is defected

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
said by Anonymous_:

Just got it here SBG6580-3.5.8.2

a Word of warning

Approximate 5 to 15 seconds per web page to load since this firmware update

I've had the firmware for the last 4 days and I don't see the same behavior, it's working fine for me
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

As DrDrew told you....it's working 100% perfect.

smart move tho.....calling it DEFECTIVE. Doubt anyone's
gonna be asking YOU for additional software reviews *sheeeesh*

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 edit
4.8seconds to load zdnet
6.6 seconds to load facebook

on 30mbps sorry something is wrong with it.

It sure is not my computer since I have a SSD and 8GB of ram on this laptop

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Well put the modem in bridge mode and try it direct or with your own router.

Either of those pages listed have a ton of scripts and cross-site page referrals. I got multiple warnings of stalled, slow loading scripts on Facebook over the weekend, which is unusual. Lots of things will affect web loading speed outside of your modem and computer hardware.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

nevion

join:2010-04-13
reply to Anonymous_
I'd have to say this firmware is defective too. Let me explain:

My wifi connections used to work perfect with the occasional crash of the wifi stack on the modem. and over the weekend they became slow as sh*t where as my desktop wasn't. It literally takes minutes to make a connection in some cases, at the tcp level. The connect system call is where all the time is... once it's got a connection things flow decently, usually. LAN over wifi (my SB is the house's wifi AP) runs just the same as it used to - fast and no latency. A direct connection over cable also works fine (same laptop)... I can show the stark difference by just switching between the two. I'm only 4 feet from the modem. Reboots don't change it... dns lookups also run at decent speed... but "connection" speed is crap. I can barely load a page any faster in links than I can in firefox or chrome. I can browse faster over my remote desktop behind a VPN on the same wifi connection with light compression, wtf?)

I've rebooted the modem alot. Inspected the settings, they all look the same. Verfied the version I'm running is SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH ... what more can I do besides set bridged mode and get a new WAP? Any RR/TWC engineers etc to comment?

this might get double posted as an anonymous post - forgot I had an account here and anon posts get "reviewed" .... apologies.

nevion

join:2010-04-13
actually my android phone is doing this too... it's not specific to the laptop.