Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sphexi

join:2002-08-22
Victoria, BC
reply to xsbell

Re: Optik Internet Issue | Retrains multiple times daily

Only time will tell if that was truly the issue or not, but I'm betting it was. Everything was fine when I moved in, then like a month and a half later went bad, now I get to enjoy seeing this:

System Up Time: 1d, 0h, 56m
DSL Link Up Time: 1d, 0h, 55m

Right after the guy left I rebooted the modem....just in case. It hasn't gone down once in 25 hours now, which is some sort of record compared to the last few weeks.

said by xsbell:

There have been some people that have also had very short loops report the same problems you are having. They added an extra 50-100 feet of CAT5e in between the modem and it fixed their problems.

The modem IS the router though, so how would this work? I have three of the ports on the back wired directly to the three TV locations (430,330, and Xbox360), just so they get direct lines to the router. The fourth is into an 8-port gigabit switch, which daisychains to another 8-port gigabit switch, which are both wired into a panel that routes them throughout the house (each room has two ethernet jacks, in some cases more). This is all in my little closet where the line comes in, so I have short 1-3 foot cables (from switches to panel are all 1ft each, from modem to switches is like 2ft, etc.) and the phone line from the splitter that Telus put in is maybe 3 feet only. I figured less is better so I made sure to hit up Monoprice before the installation guy came

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
said by sphexi:

said by xsbell:

There have been some people that have also had very short loops report the same problems you are having. They added an extra 50-100 feet of CAT5e in between the modem and it fixed their problems.

The modem IS the router though, so how would this work?

Yeah this doesn't make any sense, unless he means the phone cord not the ethernet. I've got a 1' cable into another switch and a few other 3' cables with no problems.

But still I would think chewed up wire that was shorting out is far more likely the cause.

sphexi

join:2002-08-22
Victoria, BC
The phone line itself is quite long, I'm at the end of the row of townhouses, so it's at least 100', plus internally there's a 25' or so cord looped there from the installer.

Whatever the case is, replacing the wiring in the electrical/telco room seems to have worked:

System Up Time: 2d, 1h, 17m
DSL Link Up Time: 2d, 1h, 16m

I'll probably spot check it from time to time, but I believe it to be finished. Hopefully everything I've posted in here will be Google'd for years to come by others who encounter hungry rats feasting on their phone lines, and save themselves some time