Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

Voltage regulator or alternator?

About an hour ago my car ('95 Bronco) suddenly stopped charging (luckily the battery had enough juice to get home) and I'm trying to figure out if it's the alternator, or the voltage regulator -- based on that it just died w/o any warning, I think the main suspect is the regulator. Looks to me voltage regulator is actually attached to the back of alternator.

Where and what should I measure to find the culprit?
If I buy a new alternator, will it come with a voltage regulator, or that's a separate item?

TIA
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

They're integral these days. And yea, it's probably the regulator. Get a reman, and call it a day.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

Measure the battery voltage.

On the regulator are two terminals. One is marked "ground to test". Ground it momentarily (at idle only) and you should see the battery voltage go up. Test the other terminal with a meter, you should get battery voltage.

If the voltage goes up grounding the terminal, you likely need a new regulator.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor

That regulator is not integral, and it can be replaced separately. It screws onto the back of the alternator frame and also holds the brush set for the alternator.

A competent shop with an alternator test unit can determine if the regulator or alternator is the problem. There are also voltage checks that need to be made. If you want to gamble with 40 bucks or so, you can do a "parts swap diagnosis" and replace just the regulator and see if that was the problem.

Obviously that isn't how I would do it, but it could be worth your while to take the gamble. Those regulators were not an uncommon failure.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Thanks for the correction, Matt.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

said by Juggernaut:

Thanks for the correction, Matt.

Not a correction, just clarification.

They're a dying breed for sure, and honestly, your advice to just replace the whole unit with a reman is actually the best for a DIY situation.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to shdesigns

said by shdesigns:

Measure the battery voltage.

On the regulator are two terminals. One is marked "ground to test". Ground it momentarily (at idle only) and you should see the battery voltage go up. Test the other terminal with a meter, you should get battery voltage.

If the voltage goes up grounding the terminal, you likely need a new regulator.

I just took it out a couple of minutes ago, and yes there is an arrow pointing toward a torx headed screw (I guess that connects the terminal) and with a message ground to test.

Hopefully I can test it before it gets completely dark, or the rain starts falling.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

And the end result is: None of the above!!

I put everything back, hooked up a DVM, started the engine -- and no battery light! Checked the DVM - 14.50V!! And I didn't even take the connectors off, which could've meant a corroded connection.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Update: the 'self-healed' alternator apparently didn't last very long -- it was still working fine when I went to work, but stopped working again when I was coming back.

After I got home I did the grounding test -- no change whatsoever, so I went out and bought one in the nearby O'Reilly. Since I had to replace it anyhow, I decided to upgrade to a 130A alternator instead of a 95A by telling the salesman that I need it for a '95 Explorer.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by aurgathor:

Update: the 'self-healed' alternator apparently didn't last very long -- it was still working fine when I went to work, but stopped working again when I was coming back.

I had a Talon that had a similar problem once upon a time. Failed while on the vehicle. Took it in to the parts store and it tested fine. Reinstalled, it failed a day or two later. Couldn't figure out what was failing so we took it in to a shop and they pulled it and it tested fine. Reinstalled with a note of no fault found. It failed a few days later. Went back to the shop a 2nd time for the 3rd removal. Same thing happened where it tested fine on the bench. This time they beat on it a few times and retest and it failed.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

I'm planning to take it apart for a post-mortem -- that may reveal what failed. Given the nearly 280k on the vehicle, I'm guessing that the brushes may be worn out, although there are several other possibilities.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Click for full size
The brushes are completely worn out, and the commutators aren't far behind. (it may be hard to see, but there are some deep grooves in there) So it was an end of life wearout.

BTW, he bearings are still in excellent condition.

Don't know anything about the cdru's Talon's alternator, but removing the brushes was a piece of cake in this case -- much less hassle and effort than taking the whole thing to the parts store for testing.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Thanks for the post-mortum. Burnt commutators, and a 'Grand Canyon' there.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

shdesigns