Search similar:

uniqs
Ellen098
join:2003-05-04
U. S.

1 recommendation

Ellen098

social security number on checks???

Isn't a really bad idea to put your s.s. # on a check? I've read that over the years but my accountant has said that I should add my s.s. # to any check sent to the IRS. I've refused to do that for years. I don't know if this is just being suggested by my accountant or the request originates with the IRS but if it's the latter, what do you do about this when paying your taxes?

I assume the concern is that if the check gets separated from the tax filing, the IRS won't know which account to apply the payment to. It seems to me though, that unless you have a name shared by other people, that really shouldn't be a problem.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

It has been my understanding that you do not put your SSN, your full name and your phone number on your checks.

I observe that rule and have had no problems.
Ellen098
U. S.

Ellen098

Is the risk of having your phone number on checks primarily that it could added to databases which you'd prefer to keep it out of, or are there other risks involved?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
That doesn't make sense. How do you write a check without putting your full name? You just use your first name to sign your checks or your initials?

I haven't put my phone number, for 40 years, on a check even when merchants would insist I give it to them. As for SSN, I would not put that on any check except possibly for the IRS. My phone number is unlisted and unpublished for all these years so I would not want it getting into a data base (especially not when my phone company recently more than doubled the monthly fee for an unlisted/unpublished number).

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

When I consider how easy it is to get all of my information today I don't think it really matters much. I have safeguarded my information over the years yet I have recently been victim of identify theft. So what good did it do me.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 edit

2 recommendations

TheWiseGuy to Ellen098

MVM

to Ellen098
The instruction to put your SS number on the check is part of the IRS instructions not just something your accountant is telling you. Yes, it is in case the check is separated from the form. Normally the security risk would be that you are giving the recipient your Social Security number, but in this case of course you are giving it to them anyway. Very few people have a unique name, so I guess if you are confident that you are unique it might not be helpful Given the way checks are cleared by the IRS these days it seems unlikely that it adds any significant risk to your identity being stolen.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
I know I've done this for gummint agencies (IRS, State etc) that require it. That said I hate checks anyway I only use them when other options aren't available.

BTW paper checks are converted to electronic transfers these days. IMO you're not gaining anything (except for not paying fees imposed by gummint agencies) by using them.
Ellen098
U. S.

Ellen098 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
WiseGuy,

How are checks cleared by the IRS now?
Ellen098

Ellen098 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
How do you avoid paying fees by using checks?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
If you write a check to the IRS (actually to the US Treasury) to pay estimated taxes, for example, they ask you to write your TIN on the check. Your TIN, if you are an individual, is your SSN. Nobody else needs to see your SSN on a check. Your driver's license number should not be on a check, either, but when you present a check for payment at a cashier's station, he/she may ask to see your driver's license and then may write the number on the check. Whether that is right or wrong to do, it's what is done. As for the phone number, if your phone number is unlisted, it wouldn't be a good idea to have it on your check. If it is a listed number, there's no reason not to have it on your check.
rcdailey

2 edits

rcdailey to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I'm not aware of fees being imposed for the use of direct transfer between a checking account and the government agency. In California, for example, you can pay your property taxes via a direct transfer from your checking account and there is no fee for that. However, if you choose to use a credit card for the same payment, there is a fee imposed for that because a third party processor handles credit card transactions. The same thing applies when you use a service to pay income taxes (state and federal) via a credit card.

BTW, many paper checks are converted to electronic transfers, but I have still seen canceled checks to the US Treasury for payment of income taxes, so I don't think they have completely eliminated processing actual checks. Maybe that will happen after the end of the 2012 tax year. That said, the use of checks to make payroll tax deposits (Form 941) was eliminated in late 2010, as I recall. I'd have to go back and look for the exact date when banks could no longer accept deposits by check. OK, I checked just now and it was officially ended as of December 31, 2010, but Wells Fargo (specifically) cut it off earlier in order to get the new procedure going by the beginning of 2011.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to Ellen098

MVM

to Ellen098
I believe that as StuartMW See Profile stated almost all checks to the Treasury are converted to an electronic image and processed electronically. Basically everything is done by scanner/computer. In many cases a Truncated image is included. I believe the Government uses Clearingworks by US Dataworks at this point, since if I recall correctly US Dataworks said their system is used for all incoming checks to the government. For more information on how checks are processed at this point see

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· k_21_Act
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
It's probably as risky as writing your social security number on a 1040

I too avoid writing my SS# on any payment check, but more out of pure knee-jerk reaction than reasoned analysis.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

I'm not aware of fees being imposed for the use of direct transfer between a checking account and the government agency.

Unfortunately that's not true in my state.

I have to pay estimated state tax and while they do accept "direct deposits" they require it be done in such a way that none of my banks implement (e.g. with bill pay). Their other options are eCheck or CC. In either case the fee is $2.75. It costs me the cost of a stamp to post them a paper check (which they'll have to process etc) so that's what they get.
StuartMW

StuartMW to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
said by Ellen098:

How do you avoid paying fees by using checks?

Simply post a paper check. It does cost the price of a stamp but in all the cases I've seen that is less than their "processing fee".

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
The only checks I would put my social security number on would be either to the IRS or to my state when I pay taxes. I don't even put my bank account number on my checks anymore, what with the new non-envelope ATM deposit function that my bank has.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
My daughter had an identity problem a few years back.
A sitter she hired took her name and SS number. She then opened a phone account in another state.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

If you write a check to the IRS (actually to the US Treasury) to pay estimated taxes, for example, they ask you to write your TIN on the check. Your TIN, if you are an individual, is your SSN. Nobody else needs to see your SSN on a check. Your driver's license number should not be on a check, either, but when you present a check for payment at a cashier's station, he/she may ask to see your driver's license and then may write the number on the check. Whether that is right or wrong to do, it's what is done. As for the phone number, if your phone number is unlisted, it wouldn't be a good idea to have it on your check. If it is a listed number, there's no reason not to have it on your check.

I guess that is why when I used to run a cash register at a supermarket the customers who actually still used checks would sometimes try and hand me their DL. Though at least the stores I have worked at in my life tie to the club card and for that afaik they do not need an SSN or DL number. However you cannot write a check without your card or having that same card looked up by telephone number. So for example someone just coming in from out of town with no "club card" but is not one to operate in the 21st century is SOL with their checkbook at the local grocery stores anywhere i have lived.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
What is a check?

I haven't had actual paper checks in years. Just no need for 'em anymore.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

I'm not aware of fees being imposed for the use of direct transfer between a checking account and the government agency.

It happens here in the land of big hair on the state and local levels. So I always send a paper check to avoid the "convenience fees" (that's what they like to call them). A stamp is a whole lot cheaper than the fee, and then they get to process it. One of these days they'll figure out where they're going wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. Duh.

The feds, however, accept electronic payments with no fuss and no fees.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Ellen098

Premium Member

to Ellen098
My vote for putting the SSN(or TIN) on a check written to the IRS.

Suppose the clerical people happen to disconnect the check from the other paperwork. If your name and SSN ore on the check, they can still use the SSN to quickly match to your account. This avoids the hassle of straightening out assessed penalties caused by their inability to match your check to your account in time.

Of course they could still match to your name - or anyone else with your name. The address may not be reliable since many people move during a tax year. If you have a name change during the year, that could be another hurdle. But your SSN remains constant. Having all three on a check to the IRS makes it easier to resolve

Just be sure you get the SSN right. I transposed numbers once, and it took a couple of phone calls and a FAX to fix the issue.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
Club card? Who gives their real name for a club card? A club card is not tied to anything other than the information on what "fake name someone" buys if you pay with cash. You want to pay by check you show your driver's license not the club card. CVS and other stores have it stated by the register. Of course, CVS doesn't have a club card and, thus, gets my business. Further, who would EVER give any phone number for a club card? I never have and I give fake name always and try to avoid shopping in any grocery that is so blatant in their desire to be nosy about what I buy!

I really hate Safeway's new ecoupon system and they get very little of my business now because I will never let them track me that way which means I have to pay more in their stores now. Their crap system boomeranged with me and I avoid their store if possible even though it is huge, gorgeous and new compared to the other groceries in town.

I reward the grocery that does NO tracking and shop there mostly. They have stated that their customers have said loud and clear that they will not tolerate tracking like Safeway does so they do none and have an old fashioned coupon book mailed out twice a month and coupons to clip in the weekly ads. I frequently tell managers in this store how much I appreciate that they respect my privacy.
Mele20

Mele20 to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

What is a check?

So, you pay $3 additional each month for the "privilege" of paying your phone bill (or some other monthly bill) on the company's website? I prefer to write a check and only have the additional cost of a stamp each month. I guess you don't have rent to pay either as I have never heard of anyone here being able to pay rent by electronic transfer online or over the phone. You have to write a check or go by the office with cash each month. Taxes need to be paid by check also.

Checks are not dead although I don't write many anymore there are some instances, both every month, and some just occasional, where checks are required. You trust your doctor's billing system to never get mixed up regarding your co-payment for an office visit? Can't afford to do that here as medical billing systems are terrible and rife with mistakes. You write a check at the doctor's office or the outpatient surgical clinic (they don't accept credit cards unless maybe a cosmetic surgeon will) for your own protection.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

said by caffeinator:

What is a check?

So, you pay $3 additional each month for the "privilege" of paying your phone bill (or some other monthly bill) on the company's website? I prefer to write a check and only have the additional cost of a stamp each month. I guess you don't have rent to pay either as I have never heard of anyone here being able to pay rent by electronic transfer online or over the phone. You have to write a check or go by the office with cash each month. Taxes need to be paid by check also.

Checks are not dead although I don't write many anymore there are some instances, both every month, and some just occasional, where checks are required. You trust your doctor's billing system to never get mixed up regarding your co-payment for an office visit? Can't afford to do that here as medical billing systems are terrible and rife with mistakes. You write a check at the doctor's office or the outpatient surgical clinic (they don't accept credit cards unless maybe a cosmetic surgeon will) for your own protection.

I do not pay any fees for using bill pay at my credit union. I pay my taxes using bill pay, I pay my mortgage payment using bill pay, plus all my utilities. Oh, and for those accounts that a check is mailed to I also do not pay the postage. How much is postage for a first class letter now a days?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

We don't have free bill pay at the banks here. I would never use a credit union for a checking account although I have a savings account at one, but credit unions hire kids right out of high school and pay them minimum wage for tellers and train them poorly and the turnover rate is extremely high. I prefer to use the bank Forbes has declared the "Best Bank in America" for three years in a row for my checking, etc. But bill pay is like about $8 -9 a month with them (unless you are wealthy with tons of accounts with them). Stamps for one or two checks mailed monthly (others delivered by hand or written at the time of service like a doctor's co-payment) is a lot cheaper than my bank's bill pay.

Plus, bill pay does not guarantee that the check arrives on time. I would never risk it with something like rent which is hand delivered each month. I wouldn't risk it for credit cards either but those are best paid by landline phone which is safer than internet and a main reason I keep a landline. I pay a lot of bills (various insurance for instance) by landline phone and it costs me nothing and is faster than using the internet to pay. The local phone company should let me pay them that way.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

We don't have free bill pay at the banks here.

Bummer. I've never paid (directly) for bill pay.

Plus, bill pay does not guarantee that the check arrives on time.

My bill pay is electronic. No checks involved.

I would never risk it with something like rent which is hand delivered each month.

I do the same but my agency is only a few hundred feet away so...

I also consider checks (paper) obsolete but many still write/require them. Most of my stuff is paid electronically though. I enter bills as I get em and the bank computer pays em ontime.
StuartMW

StuartMW to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

How much is postage for a first class letter now a days?

44c I think. I buy the "forever" stamps and use about 20 per year.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

My bill pay is electronic. No checks involved.

It likely depends on the payee. My bill payer, for example, does electronic transfers to Verizon, but cuts and mails a paper check to the guy in town who cuts my lawn. The front-end is the same to me in both cases, it's just the back-end arrangements that necessarily vary.

(I see no other way: either I can't use the bill payer to pay my lawn guy, or else they have to cut a check and mail it).

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by dave:

It likely depends on the payee.

Correct. I just happen to know that my payees get $$$ electronically.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
That stinks. At least in California, you can avoid paying a fee for a direct transfer from your bank account, but it is, after all, up the state, and/or the local government how they want to handle payments. Checks still work, but then you have to mail them in time to reach the agency on or before the due date, generally.