share rss forum feed

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to Mele20

Re: social security number on checks???

Forever stamps are the only ones I get, but I sometimes have to buy stamps for a business which sends postcard reminder notices and those are not Forever stamps. Right now, they are 32 cents per postcard stamp. They used to be 29 cents before the last increase.

People who actually do a lot of mailing get a scale and maybe a Stamps.com account. Pitney-Bowes is still around, as well. Then there are services that will do the whole thing for a set price per item mailed.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

What I meant was that if you go to the PO to buy regular stamps for first class letters you can only buy Forever stamps now. I was really surprised.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

Considering that Forever stamps are guaranteed to be good for first class mail even if the rates go up, there is no demand for a 45-cent stamp instead.

At the usps.com site, you can get rolls of 32-cent stamps and you can get some other special stamps such as a 65-cent stamp for wedding invitations (current two-ounce rate). There are a couple of semi-postal stamps (that include contributions to charitable causes). Oh, and you can order a 20-cent George Washington stamp for the second (and subsequent) ounce to go with a Forever stamp of your choice for the first ounce. I have not shopped for the GW stamp at a post office so don't know if they have them.

As it is, the times seem desperate for the USPS. I wonder when we will be forced to drive to the county seat just to pick up the mail and when we will have to use private carriers for all packages? Will the prices go way up when that happens?
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

stu

join:2000-11-03
Patchogue, NY
reply to Mele20

Verizon charges for an unlisted number but you could list any name (not a curse word) as your listing. That way any calls and mail to that name you just discard. This listing is free. I have seen "don't bother me" in a foreign language as a listing.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Mele20

Between living in CT and NJ I have seen more than one supermarket tie the ability to write a check in the store to the club card or before club cards they required a check writing card. the DL stopped being enough. Part of that is record keeping so the computer can be told if someone is writing bad checks. part of it is speeding things up so the cashier does not have to punch the DL number into the computer at time of checkout.

As for the post directly above this one about unlisted numbers. You also have to sometimes pay extra for the automatic caller ID block. Though one thing to know about that is people have ways to unblock caller IDs and others have their phones setup to automatically ignore anon calls.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to Hank

said by Hank:

said by Mele20:

said by caffeinator:

What is a check?

I haven't had actual paper checks in years. Just no need for 'em anymore.

So, you pay $3 additional each month for the "privilege" of paying your phone bill (or some other monthly bill) on the company's website? I prefer to write a check and only have the additional cost of a stamp each month. I guess you don't have rent to pay either as I have never heard of anyone here being able to pay rent by electronic transfer online or over the phone. You have to write a check or go by the office with cash each month. Taxes need to be paid by check also.

Checks are not dead although I don't write many anymore there are some instances, both every month, and some just occasional, where checks are required. You trust your doctor's billing system to never get mixed up regarding your co-payment for an office visit? Can't afford to do that here as medical billing systems are terrible and rife with mistakes. You write a check at the doctor's office or the outpatient surgical clinic (they don't accept credit cards unless maybe a cosmetic surgeon will) for your own protection.

I do not pay any fees for using bill pay at my credit union. I pay my taxes using bill pay, I pay my mortgage payment using bill pay, plus all my utilities. Oh, and for those accounts that a check is mailed to I also do not pay the postage. How much is postage for a first class letter now a days?

Ditto what Hank said. No fees at all here, even the account itself is free.

I pay my Phone/DSL on Bill Pay and I don't have other bills except rent which is paid in cash with a receipt given. I use paypal for a couple of web things but that's it.

I have a pretty simple life; no credit card, no house or car, no insurances, no phone contracts, etc.

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by caffeinator:

I have a pretty simple life; no credit card, no house or car, no insurances, no phone contracts, etc.

Must be tough getting electricity/internet service in that remote mountain shack
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

said by StuartMW:

Must be tough getting electricity/internet service in that remote mountain shack

Nah man...cheap apt. perhaps, but not remote and no mountains in sight.

All utils are paid for here and it has a gas range and good 'ol cast iron radiators for heat. I pay for phone/Internet though. TV is free OTA.

That's it.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

How's your manifesto coming along?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

said by StuartMW:

How's your manifesto coming along?

C'mon now....I'm way better looking than Ted. ;p