how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

[Parts Check] Opps.... :(

I recently built a new computer for my mom and it's been at least 7 years since I last build a computer so I was a bit rusty on doing my research prior to building, so I am now in a bit of a situation.

1. The case has USB 3.0 ports, but despite the motherboard having USB 3.0 ports on the rear, it doesn't have USB 3.0 header and the connection won't fit into a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. Is there any type of converter so I can plug the USB 3.0 cable into a USB 2.0 header? No need for USB 3.0 on the front of the case.

2. The cast has 4 fans, which have power connection that has 3 pins inside it. The motherboard only has 2 fan connections. I need an adaptor so I can connect these other fans up but not sure what the connector would be called.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

1 edit

Here you go:
»www.corsair.com/parts/case-parts···box.html

Woops, and this:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12201036

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

Excellent! Thanks much!

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Chrno

I've been staring at this product for about 5 minutes now and I'm trying to figure out what it is. To me, it looks like a USB 2.0 header (internal motherboard header, not USB device port) to USB 3.0 header. I do not understand what purpose that cable serves...

...that is, until you realise it's called the "Corsair Carbide accessory box". The Corsair Carbide is series of Corsair-branded PC cases. However, one of the devices they sell for the Carbide is a 5.25" bay that contains USB 3.0 ports, but on bay/drive itself actually uses a USB 3.0 header (female connector on the bay/drive). The accessory which Chrno See Profile linked allows you to hook that 5.25" drive/bay up to a USB 2.0 header on a motherboard, thus the USB 3.0 ports on the bay actually perform at USB 2.0 speeds, despite using a USB 3.0 internal header cable.

Make sense? Probably not -- convoluted I know, and a lot to read. If you want me to draw a diagram of it, I can do so. It's convoluted because all the "accessory kit" is intended for are people who already own a Carbide 5.25" bay/drive and don't have a native USB 3.0 header on their motherboard, thus want to use USB 2.0 instead.

You know what's even more amusing though? Corsair says they make no such product, yet what's shown in the link chrono See Profile provided is exactly what that user wants. It's good to know their own support people don't know of the products they make.

I think what MJimLay is actually wanting is a USB 3.0 PCIe card that has a USB 3.0 header connector on it, so he can plug the USB 3.0 header on his case into the card. In that case, I can personally recommend the Silverstone EC03B-P USB 3.0 PCIe -- I have one + use it. (My case has USB 3.0 ports with a USB 3.0 header cable coming out of the front panel ports, but my motherboard does not have a USB 3.0 header connector. Thus I needed this card).
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

4 edits

I had some time tonight so I thought I'd clarify. Please read what I've written slowly, as it's easy to get lost/confused. I'm being as precise as possible here (something review sites usually don't do).

First, take a look at the Corsair Carbide 400R case. You can see from the photos on that page that the "bay" on the front of the case offers two USB 3.0 ports (blue) and a Firewire port.

Those two USB 3.0 ports are physically soldered on a small PCB that is enclosed by hard plastic. It is 100% proprietary. Here's a photo of it. The other end of that cable is a female USB 3.0 header connector (specifically what you see here). This end of the cable plugs into the male USB 3.0 header on your motherboard.

The other connectors you see are AC97/HDAudio and IEEE1394 (Firewire) and aren't relevant to this discussion.

Pretty simple, right?

So what do you do if your motherboard lacks a USB 3.0 header? Three options:

1. Use the included adapter cable (see cable at the top of the photo; here's the review page it came from). This is also the same cable/product that Chrno See Profile linked. So what is that adapter cable cable REALLY?

It's a cable that has a male USB 3.0 header (which plugs into the female USB 3.0 header cable that comes from the front panel) and two female USB 2.0 headers (which go to the classic 9-pin male USB 2.0 headers on your motherboard (shown in blue on the right)). It allows you to use the blue USB ports on your Carbide 400R case with a motherboard that lacks a USB 3.0 header on it (but you'll only get USB 2.0 speeds, obviously). Here is a photo of that adapter cable in use.

2. Buy a motherboard that has a native (male) USB 3.0 header on it, and the case will "just work".

3. Buy a PCIe USB 3.0 card, such as the Silverstone EC03B-P that has a (male) USB 3.0 header on it and plug the cable coming out of the PCB / front panel on your case into that.

And what do you do if you don't have a Corsair Carbide 400R case?

Option is #3 above is your only choice, unless your case happens to have a similar front panel as the Carbide 400R -- specifically, it would need to have USB ports that go to a female USB 3.0 header connector/end. Then you could use that adapter cable that comes with the Carbide 400R (or you can buy it separately), as shown in this picture again.

Finally, I want to point readers to a major mistake in the Guru3D review. The review mistakenly states TWICE, and I quote:

quote:
These could be used for LCS tubing, but are intended to route the front panel USB 3.0 connector cables towards the rear IO (where USB 3.0 connectors could be located).

Alternatively you can use a small cable extension and lead the cables towards the Rear IO USB 3.0 if that is your only option.
This is completely inaccurate on the part of Guru3D. "Rear IO" implies "rear I/O panel", as in backplane. The internal USB 3.0 header connector is not on the external backplane of a motherboard; standard USB ports are. There is no such adapter/cable that lets you accomplish what Guru3D describes.

Instead, if all you have are standard USB 3.0 ports on the back of your motherboard (not internal headers), then a very simple male-to-female USB 3.0 extension cable would do the trick (but has no relevancy to the front panel ports on your case).

I hope this helps clarify exactly what was being shown.

Remember: gender of connectors (on a cable and on a port) matter, so don't just go buying something off a site just because it says "converts USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 headers".
--

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

Yes there is:
»www.coolermaster.com/product.php···_id=6791

I have a box of them at work.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

Yeah, that cable would work fine (as would the Corsair cable you linked), assuming that the case the OP has uses a female USB 3.0 cable (wired to USB ports on the front panel). I guess you could say that I don't like making assumptions -- some case manufacturers do things in a proprietary manner, you know what I mean?

The other issue -- unrelated to the technical side of things -- is that I wasn't able to find any vendor in the US selling the RA-USB-3002-IN. :-(

Thanks for giving advice + great product recommendations, Chrno See Profile. I always appreciate what you've written to folks!
--