spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

What Will $15 an Hour Get Me?

Cross posted this on UBNT forum. This question was discussed here month before last, so it's relevant.

Been working with a office supply and computer repair store that already has installed hotspots, and want to expand into a more WISP like project. They asked if $15 an hour was a good pay for an installer.

Ten years ago, $15 an hour would get you a real good tech that could work on his own. Ten years ago.

Now, after ten years of cost of living expenses, $15 an hour would mean the tech would have the same purchasing power as working in a grocery store.

$20 an hour would mean his pay would be adjusted for inflation, but he would still be an installer - a roof monkey.

$25 an hour will get you an experienced tech that would only have to call the office about something outside his pay rate of responsibility.

$30 an hour will get you a expert tech that is so good, you can go on vacation and he can hold the fort and keep things running.

$35 an hour will get you a manager that can design new deployments, manage a staff, and understand what it takes to build and run a WISP.

$40 an hour will get you a super manager that can run the entire show without having to bother the CTO or investors about anything.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

And on the other side of things, even $15/hr to someone working full-time hours would mean that I would be out of business because I couldn't pay the rest of the bills. The joys of being a the point of needing help but not being able to afford it.
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT
when I talked about 25 to 35 an hour for a good tech a while ago I was laughed out of town.

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore

Premium Member

err wouldn't that be elephants ?

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog to WHT

MVM

to WHT
It depends on where you are? If you live in an area that is depressed, you may be surprised what 15$ an hour gets you? In my area, I know guys and gals with PHD's and other degrees working at grocery store for a 1$ an hour over minimum wage.

It is also relevant to the person you hire. If they are single with no real responsibilities? 15$ may be a great wage. If they have a wife and 2 kids, it won't even pay the grocery bill, Lol

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

The UBNT thread is here, »forum.ubnt.com/showthrea ··· ?t=59171

While the $15 an hour base rate varies with many circumstances, it's the percentage escalation according to skills sets and responsibilities I wanted to point out. Use whatever base rate you want for your particular landscape.

If you just need someone to climb a ladder, screw in a footpad, and run cable with no significant responsibilities, then $15 an hour might work...as long as he wears a long sleeve shirt to hide his tatoos. But it's not going to get you a guy that has the mindset that *he* is the face of your company the customer sees.
urmom
Premium Member
join:2010-10-18
Pittsburg, KS

urmom to superdog

Premium Member

to superdog
said by superdog:

It is also relevant to the person you hire. If they are single with no real responsibilities? 15$ may be a great wage.

This is true. I'm single with no kids and would be happy with a $15/hr wage.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to WHT

Mod

to WHT
said by WHT:

If you just need someone to climb a ladder, screw in a footpad, and run cable with no significant responsibilities, then $15 an hour might work...as long as he wears a long sleeve shirt to hide his tatoos. But it's not going to get you a guy that has the mindset that *he* is the face of your company the customer sees.

Not much point in having my employee cover his tatoos when his boss wears a nose ring!

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

Allergy season must be fun, no?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Actually it helps when you are crawling around in a nasty, dusty attic and your sinuses are draining. It follows the ring and you come out with gooey tendrils!

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

I heard the same happens with a Prince Albert.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Wouldn't know -- I keep mine covered when in the attic. Too many things for it to get hung up on.
robbin

robbin to WHT

Mod

to WHT
Now seriously, I think it really depends on your area. Tatoos have gotten so popular, not just here but in many areas, that it's really no longer a judge of either personal character or the business. I understand the point you were trying to make but even my mom understands that the old rules no longer apply (no matter how much she wishes they did). In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a recent college grad here in Austin that doesn't have either tatoos or piercings or both.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

Interestingly, company satellite dish installers (not contractors) were getting $15 to $16 an hour four years ago, but only $12 to $13 now.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to robbin

MVM

to robbin
I wouldn't hire anyone with tats showing. Especially neck tats. As popular as they are (it always makes me sick to see young gals with flawless skin and a big nasty tat), they still turn off a lot of customers. Nobody wants someone who looks like a jailhouse thug creeping around in their house.

Funny, the Mrs. and I were just talking this morning about appearances. She said I need to cut off the biker beard. We also decided that our next business venture will be tattoo removal. It's only going to get more popular as people wise up with age and want to erase those mistakes.

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog to WHT

MVM

to WHT
said by WHT:

Interestingly, company satellite dish installers (not contractors) were getting $15 to $16 an hour four years ago, but only $12 to $13 now.

I got the bright idea that I could hire a full time installer and use satellite installs as a way to keep him/her working a full 40hr week. As it turns out, you don't ever, ever, ever want to get involved in playing that game. You get paid per hour, BUT, if there is a call back, it is on your dime. A call back could be as simple as the retard you just hooked up forgot how to change channels? If they request on site help for the problem for like the first year, you MUST go back and provide help. It is crazy and people are stupid.

I skipped that idea REALLY fast!
superdog

superdog to robbin

MVM

to robbin
said by robbin:

Not much point in having my employee cover his tatoos when his boss wears a nose ring!

Thats crazy???, I never pictured you as someone who would have one?. Not that there is anything wrong with it (what the he!!, it is YOUR nose?). It just goes to show you that that smart people have tattoos and piercings too. The bad thing is that first impressions are EVERYTHING and unfortunately, ignorant people make ignorant decisions based upon what they see using their ignorant minds, Lol.

All of my friends have nose rings, tattoos etc.and they ride Harleys. I do not own a bike or have one single extra hole or a tattoo anywhere. I get harassed about it all the time. It just never excited me and probably never will?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to superdog

MVM

to superdog
I did satellite installs for a brief time in the early 90's. Just like CATV installs, it's a racket. The subs take a beating while the "owners" rake in the cash.
Most of the guys who did the job did it because there was no background check, no randoms, and it kept their parole officer happy.

WHT
Rosston, TX

2 edits

WHT to superdog

to superdog
It's not the tattoos per se, it's the "jail house" state prison garbage that's a give away.

Rule of thumb...if you just suspect it will offend somebody, it likely will.

/ reworded it
urmom
Premium Member
join:2010-10-18
Pittsburg, KS

urmom

Premium Member

Even if you think it won't offend anyone, it probably will.
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
here in the Ottawa Gatineau area (in Canada..) I know of professional sat installers who work for Bell mostly who make about $1000 a week or more year round.

They have a van and insurance. One of them is our alarm account and he manages to own and pay the mortgage on a semi detached town house in Ottawa where prices are around $200,000.

Bell (Sympatico) requires so many installers (sub-contractors) that if they did not keep them happy, it would be a nightmare.

He could easily do wisp installs.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to WHT

to WHT
so what does a Wisp charge for a truck roll?
Airnode
join:2006-09-01
Germany

Airnode to urmom

to urmom
well some of my installers have tatoos they simply have to cover it and thats it. None of em have it on the nek or head ore fingers . Folks in Europe are usually more liberal but there still enough stupits and ignorants out there (specialy in gemany where i'm from) so.. it is more ore less a must to cover your tatoos.

even i have one but i usually dont take my pants off in front of a customer haha

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

A Wranglers jeans patch tattoo on yer right butt check? Popular on Texas.
Airnode
join:2006-09-01
Germany

Airnode

said by WHT:

A Wranglers jeans patch tattoo on yer right butt check? Popular on Texas.

haha nope but cool idea.

just got just a simple text "your speaking to the wrong side Lady"
translated from german but basicly in that sence .

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to WHT

MVM

to WHT
Anyone who's been in business any length of time knows that it's difficult to limit yourself yourself to your "ideal" type of client and remain in business for any serious amount of time.

Some people are going to be offended by different things and you simply have to accommodate them. It's an artform in and of itself.

When I got hired by Ma Bell, my boss said, "Kid, get a haircut before you come in on Monday". I was deeply offended by this, but guess what? In that era, $40,000 / yr jobs with no college education were almost unheard of. And that eventually turned into a $100,000 / yr job.
I was pissed about it, but got my happy ass to the barber shop on Saturday morning.
Cut your hair, trim your beard, tuck in your shirt, cover those tat's, take off that bling, dress appropriately - all an employers right to mandate.

If you want to decorate your body or change your appearance to be different or attract attention to yourself, that's your God given right. However, people need to keep in mind that it's also going to draw some negative attention. That's life.
There's always consequences for anything you do. It might be the difference between $15 / hr and $35 / hr.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT
Click for full size
Everyone has their reasons. Most aren't about getting noticed, or for some kind of "approval" from others. It's important things in our lives. Parts of our lives that have a great significance, and other reasons. I can't be fired for mine though

At some point I will have it finished LOL

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

That's...that's...GREEN cable. Must be original UBNT CAT5 Level 1 cable.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT
Color blind much? LOL. It's blue WHT. I don't use UBNT cable. Never needed to, and I doubt I ever will.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

said by gunther_01:

Color blind much?

Not *that* much. I can tell a blue from a green cable, but some shades of purple, orange and turquoise are a problem with me.

Years ago, optometrist told me, "you seem to have a bit of difficulty...ummm...ummm...Do you know you have a significant color differentiation problem. But don't worry, it's common in 1% of American males".