uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

IPv6: Coming to a Rogers Near You in 2035

While Rogers was struggling with lackluster attempts at channel bonding and unrealistically slow Docsis 3 upload speeds, the rest of civilization participated in World IPv6 Launch day on June 6, 2012.

As we all are aware, Rogers is currently unable to even fully utilize Docsis 3 technology across their 60 year old cable network.

Not only does Rogers have turtle-like internet connections when compared to places like Japan and Korea but Rogers only claim to fame is leading the pack with some of the lowest bandwidth caps and highest consumer cost per MB/sec worldwide.

By the end of 2012, South Korea intends to connect every home in the country to the Internet at one gigabit per second. That would be a tenfold increase from the already blazing national standard and more than 200 times as fast as the average household setup in the United States (and of course Rogers).

While the USA scores 12th in the world on the average internet speed scale, thanks to ISPs like Rogers, Canada doesn't even make the list at all.

Quite an embarassment to all Rogers customers whose monthly bills have been steadily increasing because of non-existant/minimal Rogers system upgrades.

The new 150/10 Ultimate Plus package is a perfect example of Rogers "A Day Late and a Dollar Short" business philosophy.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
Ok, we get that you're not a fan of Rogers and most of us on these forums feel the same way too, but can you at least post some factual things about why Rogers sucks? There is so much more you can write about like their lacklustre customer service, their lack of focus on customer loyalty etc...

-The "rest of civilization" did not participate in World IPv6. There are only 77 registered participants from all across the globe.

-DOCSIS 3.0 is widely deployed and is available in almost its entire footprint. Only about 1-2% of customers live in areas that are not DOCSIS 3.0 ready

-It isn't just Rogers speeds that pale in comparison to MSOs in Asia. Bell, Shaw, Telus, Eastlink, AT&T, Time Warner, Cablevision, Cox, etc are all in the same boat.

-If South Korea has a broadband policy to bring gigabit connections to every home that is fantastic, but that is a legislative issue and not a Rogers specific issue. If the Canadian government wants to subsidize network upgrades, Rogers would not have issue bringing gigabit speeds to every home in its footprint

-Canada's low ranking on global broadband scores is not due solely to Rogers. It's main competitor Bell offers much slower speeds in most of its footprint.

JMCD23

join:2010-12-06
London, ON
reply to elitefx
Rather than constantly spewing out complaints why don't you take your business elsewhere? That's really the only thing that gets through to these companies.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Sadly, JMCD23, it doesn't really. With over 2 million customers, losing a few due to dissatisfaction is just a blip on the radar. They call it churn ... and it includes people who find they can't afford service for a while, or move out of their footprint.

And when people do jump ship, who do they get to go to? A TPIA who uses the incumbents network, or to a telco. And the customer soon gets dissatisfied with the telcos, or the TPIA's difficulties working arms length from the incumbents and guess where they end up returning to!

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
said by sbrook:

Sadly, JMCD23, it doesn't really. With over 2 million customers, losing a few due to dissatisfaction is just a blip on the radar. They call it churn ... and it includes people who find they can't afford service for a while, or move out of their footprint.

And when people do jump ship, who do they get to go to? A TPIA who uses the incumbents network, or to a telco. And the customer soon gets dissatisfied with the telcos, or the TPIA's difficulties working arms length from the incumbents and guess where they end up returning to!

It is a result of the Canadian definition of "competition".

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to JMCD23
said by JMCD23:

Rather than constantly spewing out complaints why don't you take your business elsewhere?

Yea, things were getting a little too quiet here recently and I just happened to come across this juicy little tidbit so I thought what the hell.

Not talking about an issue solves nothing. Putting it out there and keeping it fresh in folks minds gives the best chance for something better to happen.
Let the Rogers social media team see that their customers know what's going on broadband wise and we're not happy.
Maybe an MPP will pick up on it. Maybe some rich guy will start a TPIA that actually gives bang for the buck and breaks ranks.

All I know is Rogers and the TPIAs suck large and so does Bell and we need something better in Canada. Being 20th or so on the World Broadband Service Scale is not something any red blooded Canadian can be proud of.

And when I have Express 50/50mbps all channels bonded, that's the day I'll admit Rogers is Docsis 3 capable.

Being a bottom feeder and playing "catchup" is not the way things are done in the Canada I grew up in..............

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by elitefx:

said by JMCD23:

Rather than constantly spewing out complaints why don't you take your business elsewhere?

Not talking about an issue solves nothing. Putting it out there and keeping it fresh in folks minds gives the best chance for something better to happen.

That's how you influence social and political changes. If you want Rogers to change, then vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere. Rogers clearly does not take feedback and open discussion from its customers seriously.

elitefx

London, ON
said by yyzlhr:

Rogers clearly does not take feedback and open discussion from its customers seriously.

True enough. Now getting back on topic. Canada clearly doesn't have a fully functional Docsis 3 network, yet IPv6 has been launched. IPv6 is intended to succeed IPv4.

Rogers complete lack of skill and dedication at implementing what we have now can only indicate dire things to come for the Canadian broadband consumer.

Rogers may clearly not listen to customer feedback but how long can they withstand worldwide ridicule re: caps, rates, D3 implementation and trying (and I use the word loosely) to adapt 2012 technology to run over a 60 year old cable network.

All in all, disturbing to say the least..............

Rayson

join:2004-01-01
Canada
reply to elitefx
At a Cisco conference back in 2011, Cisco mentioned that Rogers was testing IPv6 deployments.

It's not an easy task for any ISPs -- just Google: 6to4, 6over4, etc...

elitefx

London, ON
said by Rayson:

And it wasn't an easy task putting the Mars Rover where it is now but skill, dedication and a ton of cash (Rogers forte) made it all possible.

Rogers needs to either "Step up or Step out"

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by elitefx:

said by Rayson:

And it wasn't an easy task putting the Mars Rover where it is now but skill, dedication and a ton of cash (Rogers forte) made it all possible.

Rogers needs to either "Step up or Step out"

That's not even remotely an appropriate comparison...

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by yyzlhr:

Rogers clearly does not take feedback and open discussion from its customers seriously.

Rogers may clearly not listen to customer feedback but how long can they withstand worldwide ridicule re: caps, rates, D3 implementation and trying (and I use the word loosely) to adapt 2012 technology to run over a 60 year old cable network.

All in all, disturbing to say the least..............

And you think Rogers cares what the world thinks? Rogers has gained international notoriety for many of their practices, but they hold their head up high and keep doing it. The only way Rogers will change is if you stop giving them money.

And what do you expect Rogers to do about it's cable network? Are you willing to foot the bill for them to roll out FTTH? Their 60 year old network is perfectly capable of delivering the latest technology, they simply made a business decision not to do it, and guess what? It's been working? There hasn't been a single quarter in recent memory where their cable business has NOT been profitable. If you think Rogers is not innovative enough for your needs, and you find them to be an embarrassment on this front then stop handing over your cash and take your business somewhere else.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

dedication and a ton of cash (Rogers forte)

Rogers has a MOUNTAIN of DEBT .... read Rogers financial statements .... one big mistake can sink them very quickley.

Yes rogers makes money .... good thing that they do but based on their MOUNTAIN of DEBT they have very little room unless they strike deals with the likes of Bell Media etc.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

London, ON

3 edits
said by mozerd:

Yes rogers makes money .... good thing that they do but based on their MOUNTAIN of DEBT they have very little room unless they strike deals with the likes of Bell Media etc.

I was hoping somebody would bring that up.

So, my final thoughts:
Obviously Rogers is a sinking ship. No business on this planet could survive employing the tactics that Rogers is infamous for. They brought it on themselves.

All the more reason that the Canadian Broadband landscape needs a major overhaul. Who will step up to the plate? Only time will tell.

I rest my case. Thanks......

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
They DO survive. They CAN survive. They WILL survive.

Their debt is related predominantly to their sports interests ... TML, Skydome, BlueJays etc etc. But they can be money makers too. They have the revenue and profitability to support that level of debt.

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits
Mountains of debt do not equal revenue and profitability in any way, shape or form. Minus 2 plus minus 2 do not equal plus one.

Debt may equate to a bigger government tax writeoff but consumer confidence is usually based on actual company profitability and current company performance levels.

IMHO Rogers gets a big fail in both categories in the opinion of thousands of their customers who are tired of being subjugated by Rogers with no viable alternative.

Hence the basis for this entire thread.....Thanks..........

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
No ... just as the bank wants to know if you have enough income when they give you a loan or mortgage to gauge how much they are prepared to lend you, so it is with companies ... they look at the revenue stream and the profitability and projections and determine whether they can support that debt.

About 7 years ago, Rogers credit rating was put to "garbage" because their profitability and revenue (APPU and ARPU) were too low but they have since improved.

To quote the FP in 2007

"Standard & Poor’s said that it raised its long-term corporate credit ratings on Rogers Communications Inc. (RG) and its wholly-owned subsidiaries to BBB- from BB+.

This reflects the company’s strong performance and cash flow growth, its ability to absorb a meaningful acquisition while keeping to S&P’s debt leverage target and finally, its asset base growth that has led to a focus on medium-term internal growth, the ratings agency said in a statement Tuesday. "

It's also worth noting that Rogers does have considerable cash, but they prefer to invest that and borrow because they can get inverted interest rates. (In fact, I'm doing very similar right now ... I can borrow a lot cheaper than I'm getting on my investments even after taking tax into account!)

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to elitefx
You're very funny

Rogers can service their debt and are profitable so far. Rogers cash flow is also positive and has been positive for some time. From what I can tell their banks and bond holders are strong supporters otherwise they would not be able to build mountains of debt.

You need to learn how to read financial statements ... No easy task but you can do it.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

read Rogers financial statements .... one big mistake can sink them very quickley.

that's it folks. I've said all I had to say.......

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to elitefx
Don't forget rogers digital television pixelates like a pig due to lack of bandwidth.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
said by ChuckcZar :

Don't forget rogers digital television pixelates like a pig due to lack of bandwidth.

No, it pixelates due to signal problems!

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
RIght! Compression artefacts, blurring due to compression, yes, pixellation, no.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Rayson
said by Rayson:

It is easy with equipment that supports native/dual-stack IPv6. IPv6 support has become a standard feature in practically all core routers more than five years ago and it is standard in all DOC3 equipment so in principle, cablecos with DOC3 have all the building blocks for native/dual-stack IPv6, no need for that 6to4/4to6/etc. junk.

avernar

join:2002-05-23
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

Found this page recently: »ipv6.rogers.com/

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

1 recommendation

reply to elitefx
So is Rogers going to assign each customer an IP block, or are we still NATing?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
With pure IPv6 NATing should not be necessary.