SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew to egnlsn

Premium Member

to egnlsn

Re: Will DirecTV Ever Switch To Ethernet?

You sure about that? Check out DirecTV TVEverywhere:
»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/c ··· erywhere
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by DocDrew:

You sure about that? Check out DirecTV TVEverywhere:
Http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/directv_everywhere

A) none of that is LIVE

B) requires and actual internet connection. Considering how many RURAL customers DirecTV has I'm not sure how feasible streaming their content over the internet is.

C) Most with internet have caps. most people will only be able to stream 5 hours day max. And that going by a bitrate near 5 Mbps. To offer something close to DirecTv current HD you'll need to have at least 8 Mbps. Now you talking maybe 3 hours a day. Once again not practical

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

I'm rural and have HSI from Comcast, I have the Blast Tier (25/4, 30/6 with Powerboost).
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by RR Conductor:

I'm rural and have HSI from Comcast, I have the Blast Tier (25/4, 30/6 with Powerboost).

Good for you. I can assure you MILLIONS of rural people do NOT have HSI form anyone. I know many right in the county where I live. They have satellite TV because it's the only choice. So offering TV via stream is NOT an option for them.

Also helps your town has a population density of 630 people per square mile.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

A) none of that is LIVE

B) requires and actual internet connection. Considering how many RURAL customers DirecTV has I'm not sure how feasible streaming their content over the internet is.

C) Most with internet have caps. most people will only be able to stream 5 hours day max. And that going by a bitrate near 5 Mbps. To offer something close to DirecTv current HD you'll need to have at least 8 Mbps. Now you talking maybe 3 hours a day. Once again not practical

I can assure you MILLIONS of rural people do NOT have HSI form anyone. I know many right in the county where I live. They have satellite TV because it's the only choice. So offering TV via stream is NOT an option for them.

Sure it's not an option for them, but it's an option for MILLIONS (BILLIONS?) of others.

There are many, many companies offering IPTV/streaming video (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vimeo, Google, Apple, TWC, Comcast, Cox, Dish, Verizon, AT&T, Virgin, Sky Digital, etc.), a growing percentage is live. Lack of broadband to those rural customers you're concerned with isn't stopping anyone. 10 years ago, probably 5% had the bandwidth in the U.S. to stream video reliably, now it's more than 70%. If anything the expansion of IPTV services is one reason behind a bigger push for rural broadband expansion.

IPTV's availability will just expand as the distribution system becomes more standardized, accepted, and in demand. It won't replace satellite distribution everywhere, but it can certainly supplement it and supplant in in many situations.

People want more competition between video providers and the possibility of ala carte, this can provide both.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

RR Conductor to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by RR Conductor:

Good for you. I can assure you MILLIONS of rural people do NOT have HSI form anyone. I know many right in the county where I live. They have satellite TV because it's the only choice. So offering TV via stream is NOT an option for them.

Also helps your town has a population density of 630 people per square mile.

The same with my county of Mendocino, this is a VERY rural county, and fairly poor. My "Town" of Redwood Valley actually isn't a town, it's an unincorporated area (Census Designated Area, CDA) consisting mostly of vineyards, wineries, ranches and farms, there are only 4 incorporated towns in Mendocino County (Ukiah, Willits, Fort Bragg, Point Arena). You have a VERY incorrect idea of our area

»www.visitmendocino.com

Edit-As for the 630 people per square mile, well, for most of Redwood Valley that is NOT correct, Wiki needs to fix that article.