norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

Re:  

Okay, you've got my attention, which one does protect?

I hear Chrome, but if you're not a google fanboy, what is next?
After my issue with SSL breaking, and without KIS's cert applied either, I'm at my wits end - Firefox?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

You don't have to be a google fanboy to use chrome..you just need the desire to be safe. Worry more about what the government's..even yours..is doing to privacy than some company that started out as a search engine who makes thing available for free and does that by generating revenue form ads.

I guess you might consider some plugin for whatever browser you use for the problem.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
If everyone is bestowing the title to Chrome [which I think is a terrible browser].........then they should be using SWIRON instead.

Same browser without the Google spying.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

If everyone is bestowing the title to Chrome [which I think is a terrible browser].........then they should be using SWIRON instead.

Same browser without the Google spying.

SRWare Iron was updated on 12 August...privacy is one thing..how about Security..can it do this..

Chrome periodically retrieves updates of two blacklists (one for phishing and one for malware), and warns users when they attempt to visit a harmful site. This service is also made available for use by others via a free public API called "Google Safe Browsing API".[11]
Chrome will typically allocate each tab to fit into its own process to "prevent malware from installing itself" and prevent what happens in one tab from affecting what happens in another; however, the actual process-allocation model is more complex.[100] Following the principle of least privilege, each process is stripped of its rights and can compute, but cannot write files or read from sensitive areas (e.g. documents, desktop) — this is similar to the "Protected Mode" used by Internet Explorer on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The Sandbox Team is said to have "taken this existing process boundary and made it into a jail";[101] for example, malicious software running in one tab is supposed to be unable to sniff credit card numbers entered in another tab, interact with mouse inputs, or tell Windows to "run an executable on start-up" and it will be terminated when the tab is closed.[11] This enforces a simple computer security model whereby there are two levels of multilevel security (user and sandbox) and the sandbox can only respond to communication requests initiated by the user.[102] On Linux sandboxing uses the seccomp mode.[103][104]

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go ··· e_Chrome

Then I wonder if you can tell me how SRWare Iron handles Java and Flash. I have never used SRWare Iron.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
SRWare Iron was updated on 12 August...privacy is one thing..how about Security..can it do this..
I'm not too worried about blacklists,as I use BufferZone Pro and Iron is configured pretty secure.
quote:
Then I wonder if you can tell me how SRWare Iron handles Java and Flash. I have never used SRWare Iron.
--
Handles both well,although I have both disabled till I need them.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Does it handle Java and Flash the same way as google chrome..beside the fact you personally have them disabled..or better yet how do you disable them in Iron..and how do you get them in Iron ? Thanks

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Java is enabled/disabled via the about:plugins option and I use the Flash blocker add-on for Iron.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thanks..could not get to the forum and find out myself since google chrome blocks ad.yieldads.com ..I would too. What is that all about.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

said by Name Game:

Worry more about what the government's..even yours..is doing to privacy than some company that started out as a search engine who makes thing available for free and does that by generating revenue form ads.

That I am sir.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

Re:  

block adshot.de

»www.srware.net/forum/vie ··· 04b8c41f

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

ok well cant get to the forum as you know so can't view your link that has ad stuff on a site forum like that...so will just pass..thanks...just very surprised to see it there.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Click for full size
He's always had ads on the forum. Proxo blocks them. If I bypass Proxo then Ghostery blocks adyield (and two other trackers there) and Firefox blocks the ad also because I have all my browsers configured to block popups so I end up with Fx and Ghostery fighting over which will block it and the result is a blank popup. Easier to just not bypass Proxo there!

That thread is just telling a new Iron user that the ads are necessary for income for the Iron author and suggests installing AdBlockPlus for Chrome.
Reimer
join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON

Reimer to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
I don't recommend Iron. The devs are shady and it's obvious the product was released to prey on the Google paranoia. Iron does nothing special. All they do is remove options you can already disable manually in Chrome and at the same time, is much slower to update. So that can't qualify as a safer browser.

Isn't it also ironic to claim the browser as protecting you from Google when they use Google analytics and Adsense on their homepage? Oh right. It must be okay to use Google products as long as they make money off of it.

A more reputable Chromium based fork would be Comodo Dragon.
»www.comodo.com/home/brow ··· wser.php

And of course, there's always Chromium itself.

There is one other thing to take into account. Chrome includes its PPAPI flash plugin which has the strongest sandboxed flash implementation of any browser.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

+1 on the info..but hard to believe they are shady..maybe just not that rich like firefox who is supported to the tune of something like $108mil by Goggle.

»hothardware.com/News/Mon ··· ch-Deal/

»www.extremetech.com/inte ··· -firefox
Reimer
join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON

Reimer

I call the Iron devs shady because they do things like this.

This is one of the things they list as something they remove from the Chromium source code for privacy reasons.

and this is what a Chrome dev says about that.
Furthermore, the "URL tracking" mentioned both on IRC and on the Iron website refers to the GoogleURLTracker class. This unforutnately-named class figures out whether to use google.com or google.es for searches from the URL bar, and does not in any way do any sort of spyware URL monitoring. This is obvious to anyone who can read code, and should be obvious to anyone technical enough to produce a product like Iron. At this point I can't believe they're doing anything other than being intentionally misleading.
This serves as a good example of the sort or significant effort we've put in to make Chrome be privacy-conscious and Google-independent. Half of the bullet points on the Iron "feature" page are options that can be turned off in a clearly-marked "Privacy" section of the Chrome options, and the other half are misunderstandings like this one.
»neugierig.org/software/c ··· ron.html

This same page details an IRC chat that shows the Iron devs intention with the project were merely to cash in on ad clicks

mgreenblatt - Iron.. why not propose a patch based on preprocessor defines that disables the sections you dislike without forking the code?
mgreenblatt - (assuming such a thing doesn't already exist)
Iron - because a fork will bring a lot of publicity to my person and my homepage
Iron - that means: a lot of money too

jamessan - heh, you're expecting to make lots of money from making a fork of chromium? that's quite amusing
Iron - i dont take money for my fork
Iron - but i have adsense on my page
Iron - a lot of visitor -> a lot of clicka > a lot of money

All of which explains all the bookmarks and iron-start.com homepage leading to their ads they stick in Iron

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Thank..understand now...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Reimer

Premium Member

to Reimer
You seem to think that Iron users are not aware of that IRC chat. Most of us knew about it BEFORE we chose to download and use Iron. I don't mind him wanting to make some money. My Proxomitron blocks his ads at his forum and Iron (when I was using it) was much better than Chrome. I don't believe Chrome is separate from Google. You have to have an account if you have a problem with Chrome. You couldn't pay me to set up a Google account for Chrome help or anything else. To post in the Iron forum all I had to do was register...no Google crap.

Since when has a Chrome user been able to turn OFF Chrome auto updates and uninstall Flash Player? If you can't do those two things then you are OWNED by Google. With Iron you don't get Flash Player unless YOU THE USER decide to install it which is how it should be. With Iron, there are NO automatic updates which is how it should be.

I stopped using it because of the horrible sandboxing of each tab which meant that Chrome/Iron was the HEAVIEST browser out there...not to mention that it wrecks havoc on Task Manager as you can't find any process easily if you have a bunch of Iron tabs listed there. Plus, I have over 100 tabs open on Fx at the moment. You can't do that with Chrome/Iron...at least not on an older computer as even 20 tabs open caused Iron to be eating almost all my RAM...far more RAM hungry that Fx which is bad but nothing like Iron. You need the 24GB RAM that I probably will get on my new computer if you want to use Chrome/Iron and actually USE tabbed browsing..not just "dabble" in it with 5-6 tabs open.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

"Since when has a Chrome user been able to turn OFF Chrome auto updates and uninstall Flash Player? If you can't do those two things then you are OWNED by Google. With Iron you don't get Flash Player unless YOU THE USER decide to install it which is how it should be. With Iron, there are NO automatic updates which is how it should be."

Since forever..I can disable both update and flash..even the pepper flash its easy to do and has been posted in this forum many times.