spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SMMOG

@74.198.165.x
reply to cybersaga

Re: Rogers LTE....3yr Contract.....should I pull the trigger?

said by cybersaga:

But you may even be able to get away with putting their receiver on the top of your house if you have a two-storey. When I was out in the country, we put it on top of the barn and that worked for us for wireless. Depends how high your trees are I guess.

It's not so much that the trees are tall as they are close. The tower that I can see, which is a Rogers tower, is in LOS from my roof, but when I drive around the area I see some houses that have a wireless receiver pointed in that direction. I guess I'll have to go door to door and ask them who there wisp is.

SMMOG

join:2012-10-25
Arnprior, ON
reply to SMMOG

....so if anyone is interested I went ahead with xplornet. Fixed wireless, 100G/mo, 5mpps. Just got it installed a couple of days ago, and so far so good. Random speed tests have it anywhere from 4.6mbps to 5.2mbps. Hopefully it will last, and not just for the 30 days. Netflix HD runs great, will update thread periodically with any valid info.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1

Glad you got some decent bandwith!

jumpingryan

join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON
reply to SMMOG

said by SMMOG:

....so if anyone is interested I went ahead with xplornet. Fixed wireless, 100G/mo, 5mpps. Just got it installed a couple of days ago, and so far so good. Random speed tests have it anywhere from 4.6mbps to 5.2mbps. Hopefully it will last, and not just for the 30 days. Netflix HD runs great, will update thread periodically with any valid info.

Any latency tests?

I will be moving in the summer to outside of Ottawa area, and I need low latency!

Thanks

Ryan

SMMOG

Arnprior, ON

said by jumpingryan:

Any latency tests?

I will be moving in the summer to outside of Ottawa area, and I need low latency!

Thanks

Ryan

Everytime I've checked it's been between 80-85ms.

SMMOG

Arnprior, ON

So it's been 2 months since I got Xplornet installed and it's been nothing but perfect. Speed has always been 5mpps, never had a disruption in service, latency is between 80-100. Hopefully it will stay status quo.

Boris19

join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2

Good to see. I'm on their old fixed wireless network and it's solid (it should be, I can see the tower from our living room window). It's extremely slow though, and I'd love to upgrade it. We have an account with no data limit though, and when I last talked to them it would be a 60 gig monthly limit for us if we upgraded. We do too much Netflix watching for that. I'm not even sure 100 gigs would be enough, with a few hours a day usage even at the lowest quality. I'd think that HD quality Netflix would rapidly eat up the data.