share rss forum feed

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS

CRTC Hearings - 10 Sept 12

As part, or inpreparation for the hearings, BCE this morning announced a new Netflix like service.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···4532188/

Having said that and knowing Bell operations, what are they gonna call it? PoketflixTrick?

Oh, they promise HBO and other content not available on netflix. No word on the price. By the way, if they provide that, and then complain that they need to chage UBB for congestion aren't they just stating oxymorons?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
FibeFlix!

10 hours a month. After that, it's $4 an hour. Fibe25 is required to get the service. Price is 14.99$*

*Price in a bundle with phone, TV, Internet and cellphone. Add $49.99 without bundle. For the first 3 months only. 49.99$ afterwards.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
** add all of the foregoing plus $28/GB when delivered via a reseller

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to mazhurg
Of course, no net only sub option and I seriously doubt they will exempt the usual bandwidth caps when you use the service. In other words, overpriced and quite useless for most people.

If they don't deliver the content to Netflix, they will get nothing from me.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to mazhurg
hilarious answers...and then sad because any of them could happen ; (

But it is a step in the right direction, actually competing with a new medium (now that they were unable to kill it via regulations and caps)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to mazhurg
After six months of losses they're close shop and say:

"See Canadians don't really like over the top video after all."
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18
reply to mazhurg
Bell and their wannabe Netflix VOD service can do this (PG-13 Vid): »www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ssC77hapv0g

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by JunjiHiroma:

Bell and their wannabe Netflix VOD service can do this (PG-13 Vid): »www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ssC77hapv0g

Yep.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to mazhurg
I figure *8* dollars a *day* with unlimited overuse fees.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to mazhurg
I think that the CRTC should allow Bell to buy Astral, however the last sentence of their decision should read, "While our hands were tied in reaching this decision, we call upon the Competition Bureau to launch an immediate action to break up Bell and any other media, telephone. and internet conglomerates in accordance with the principles of functional separation."

yaaawn

@videotron.ca
reply to mazhurg
Videotrons Péladeau warns that BCE deal will create a ‘monster’
»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···4536165/

Some snippets...

“The impact of this type of domination would be multiple and would stifle any form of competition. No other company would be able to compete with the power of Bell.”

“This is the first time ever in Canada you will see a dominant position in the anglophone and francophone markets,” he said after his appearance. “It would weaken our capacity to finance our programming because we’ll have in front of us a monster that will kill the business.”

Pots calling kettles black.

I wonder what Quebecors stance would be if they had the winning bid for astral?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to mazhurg
This is an interesting twist, while I can understand why, it's a blatant attempt at censorship.

Bell refused the "Say no to Bell" campaign ads on any of their properties, until one day before the CRTC Hearings.

BUB... break up Bell should be the next campaign.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mazhurg
Michael Geist has a humorous assessment of the situation:

»www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6628/125/

The [fill in the blanks] defense.

I had a quick chuckle.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to yaaawn
While PKP is right, he's also in his self interest, he's only interest in preserving his Quebec (semi) monopoly through TVA and Videotron.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
reply to mazhurg
Haven't heard a comment such as "This is bulls**t" so far during the CRTC hearings...

mazhurg
Premium
Brighton, ON
Not literally. Figuratively, however...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to mazhurg
Rogers is complaing that Bell will charge through the nose for content now. Of course Bell argues that's BS since they are buying Astral to sell more content.

Who has their rubber stamp ready?

All Gravy

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

While PKP is right, he's also in his self interest, he's only interest in preserving his Quebec (semi) monopoly through TVA and Videotron.

Doesn't matter. The CRTC is only a stepping stone to Harper.

No matter which way the CRTC rules, someone is going to file with GiC

CRTC is pretty useless. Companies just bypass them when ruling don't suit them anyhow. This is just a show.

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to mazhurg
Has anyone stopped to consider what happens to any politician that goes against BCE now?

Can we say slanted newscasts anyone? Basically you screw with Bell, and they can destroy your political career in the blink of an eye.

If this is not put under control soon, it will eventually spiral out of control. If you own mainstream media, you own politics. Which gives you free reign to do whatever the F you want.

WiFi
It's In The Air

join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls
Reviews:
·ikTel Networks
·Start Communicat..
said by CanadianRip:

Can we say slanted newscasts anyone? Basically you screw with Bell, and they can destroy your political career in the blink of an eye.

Sure. Just let them try to destroy Harper and the cabinet and see what happens!

--
Type slowwer..I can't keep up!

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to mazhurg
Audet got a little upset yesterday.Here's a bit of what he said

via cartt.ca

"But what about Bell’s argument that in an era of global video distribution, global brands and the desire by consumers to have connectivity and content everywhere always, big companies with many resources are a must in order to compete, asked CRTC chair Jean-Pierre Blais.

“We think this is a false debate to try and divert your attention away from other things,” said Audet. “It’s an exaggerated, false statement.” Audet then pointed to the CRTC’s recently released Communications Monitoring Report which showed that just 10% of Canadians subscribe to Netflix, viewing about six hours per week each. Comparatively, noted Audet, Canadians collectively consume “730 million TV hours per week in English Canada,” making Netflix’s overall impact “pretty small,” he said.

Turning to radio, Audet called it “absolutely grotesque” that a combined Bell-Astral would own 45% of all radio listening hours in Canada. “That is certainly absurd,” he added. “Forty-five percent listenership to one single company doesn’t make sense.”

When the panel of commissioners asked Audet about how the market might react to a full-on denial of this transaction, as Cogeco and others have asked for, that seemed to really get the CEO’s back up. In a nutshell, the CRTC needs to look out for the public interest. Period. As for the financial markets and other consequences of a denial? “That’s not our problem and it’s not your problem either. You are there to protect the public interest… and not worry about what the market thinks… That is not your problem,” he told chairman Blais."

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
CRTC Blais just compared Telus to a generic drugmaker who doesnt invest. ie:buying tv stations/shows

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to andyb
said by andyb:

When the panel of commissioners asked Audet about how the market might react to a full-on denial of this transaction, as Cogeco and others have asked for, that seemed to really get the CEO’s back up. In a nutshell, the CRTC needs to look out for the public interest. Period. As for the financial markets and other consequences of a denial? “That’s not our problem and it’s not your problem either. You are there to protect the public interest… and not worry about what the market thinks… That is not your problem,” he told chairman Blais."

I would have to agree with Audet. The government serves "the people", not the corporations. The corporations are there to serve their shareholders, which are a subset of "the people".

I can't imagine the CRTC is considering allowing some form of this ill conceived assault on the Canadian public to proceed simply because they're afraid of the market fallout. This is a scheme conjured up by a corporation who will do what it takes (as is their mandate) to make a profit for their shareholders within the limits of what is allowed by law. That doesn't mean that the CRTC is obligated to bless it, even in part.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by HeadSpinning:

I can't imagine the CRTC is considering allowing some form of this ill conceived assault on the Canadian public to proceed simply because they're afraid of the market fallout. This is a scheme conjured up by a corporation who will do what it takes (as is their mandate) to make a profit for their shareholders within the limits of what is allowed by law. That doesn't mean that the CRTC is obligated to bless it, even in part.

But they will, I put money on it, and if they don't "The Harper Government" will.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
reply to HeadSpinning
What dream world are you living in? Corporations dictate Government policy left right and center and the people only have the illusion that they are in control.
if corporations didnt control the goverment the public would be allowed to know the details behind things such as ACTA and TPP

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

But they will, I put money on it, and if they don't "The Harper Government" will.

Yep. This is a done deal.

The shenanigans happening right now is just the foreplay.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to DanteX
said by DanteX:

What dream world are you living in? Corporations dictate Government policy left right and center and the people only have the illusion that they are in control.
if corporations didnt control the goverment the public would be allowed to know the details behind things such as ACTA and TPP

I suppose I should have more accurately said that I can't imagine them doing so with any sort of reasonable explanation. Of course, the way things are running these days, you're likely right.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

mazhurg
Premium
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to mazhurg
Well, that was quick!

»www.canoe.ca/Canoe/Money/2012/10···066.html

CRTC chair to rule on Bell-Astral merge

The president of the CRTC will announce a decision on the controversial Bell-Astral merger Thursday afternoon.

A decision on the $3.4-billion deal, which has been at the heart of months of debate regarding to the Canadian media landscape, is expected at 4 p.m.
On the same day (but later) than Omnibus 2 nonetheless. I can hear the cha-chin from consumer pockets already.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
I wouldn't be so sure that it's a slam dunk for Bell. Notice the decision is not coming on a Friday.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to mazhurg
From the same link:
Melanie Aitken, commissioner of competition with the bureau, stated that even if the CRTC approves the transaction, the Competition Bureau could refuse.

This is only round one no matter what the outcome is tomorrow.