Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to mazhurg

Re: CRTC Hearings - 10 Sept 12

Audet got a little upset yesterday.Here's a bit of what he said

via cartt.ca

"But what about Bell’s argument that in an era of global video distribution, global brands and the desire by consumers to have connectivity and content everywhere always, big companies with many resources are a must in order to compete, asked CRTC chair Jean-Pierre Blais.

“We think this is a false debate to try and divert your attention away from other things,” said Audet. “It’s an exaggerated, false statement.” Audet then pointed to the CRTC’s recently released Communications Monitoring Report which showed that just 10% of Canadians subscribe to Netflix, viewing about six hours per week each. Comparatively, noted Audet, Canadians collectively consume “730 million TV hours per week in English Canada,” making Netflix’s overall impact “pretty small,” he said.

Turning to radio, Audet called it “absolutely grotesque” that a combined Bell-Astral would own 45% of all radio listening hours in Canada. “That is certainly absurd,” he added. “Forty-five percent listenership to one single company doesn’t make sense.”

When the panel of commissioners asked Audet about how the market might react to a full-on denial of this transaction, as Cogeco and others have asked for, that seemed to really get the CEO’s back up. In a nutshell, the CRTC needs to look out for the public interest. Period. As for the financial markets and other consequences of a denial? “That’s not our problem and it’s not your problem either. You are there to protect the public interest… and not worry about what the market thinks… That is not your problem,” he told chairman Blais."

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

CRTC Blais just compared Telus to a generic drugmaker who doesnt invest. ie:buying tv stations/shows

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

When the panel of commissioners asked Audet about how the market might react to a full-on denial of this transaction, as Cogeco and others have asked for, that seemed to really get the CEO’s back up. In a nutshell, the CRTC needs to look out for the public interest. Period. As for the financial markets and other consequences of a denial? “That’s not our problem and it’s not your problem either. You are there to protect the public interest… and not worry about what the market thinks… That is not your problem,” he told chairman Blais."

I would have to agree with Audet. The government serves "the people", not the corporations. The corporations are there to serve their shareholders, which are a subset of "the people".

I can't imagine the CRTC is considering allowing some form of this ill conceived assault on the Canadian public to proceed simply because they're afraid of the market fallout. This is a scheme conjured up by a corporation who will do what it takes (as is their mandate) to make a profit for their shareholders within the limits of what is allowed by law. That doesn't mean that the CRTC is obligated to bless it, even in part.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by HeadSpinning:

I can't imagine the CRTC is considering allowing some form of this ill conceived assault on the Canadian public to proceed simply because they're afraid of the market fallout. This is a scheme conjured up by a corporation who will do what it takes (as is their mandate) to make a profit for their shareholders within the limits of what is allowed by law. That doesn't mean that the CRTC is obligated to bless it, even in part.

But they will, I put money on it, and if they don't "The Harper Government" will.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
reply to HeadSpinning

What dream world are you living in? Corporations dictate Government policy left right and center and the people only have the illusion that they are in control.
if corporations didnt control the goverment the public would be allowed to know the details behind things such as ACTA and TPP

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

But they will, I put money on it, and if they don't "The Harper Government" will.

Yep. This is a done deal.

The shenanigans happening right now is just the foreplay.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

What dream world are you living in? Corporations dictate Government policy left right and center and the people only have the illusion that they are in control.
if corporations didnt control the goverment the public would be allowed to know the details behind things such as ACTA and TPP

I suppose I should have more accurately said that I can't imagine them doing so with any sort of reasonable explanation. Of course, the way things are running these days, you're likely right.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to mazhurg

Well, that was quick!

»www.canoe.ca/Canoe/Money/2012/10···066.html

CRTC chair to rule on Bell-Astral merge

The president of the CRTC will announce a decision on the controversial Bell-Astral merger Thursday afternoon.

A decision on the $3.4-billion deal, which has been at the heart of months of debate regarding to the Canadian media landscape, is expected at 4 p.m.
On the same day (but later) than Omnibus 2 nonetheless. I can hear the cha-chin from consumer pockets already.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

I wouldn't be so sure that it's a slam dunk for Bell. Notice the decision is not coming on a Friday.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to mazhurg

From the same link:
Melanie Aitken, commissioner of competition with the bureau, stated that even if the CRTC approves the transaction, the Competition Bureau could refuse.

This is only round one no matter what the outcome is tomorrow.

dsf

@bell.ca

Why would the competition bureay would refuse ?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Because everybody but Bell agrees that the merger is anticompetitive?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

dsa

@bell.ca

Quebecor has too much control , this is the way they can be stop.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by dsa :

Quebecor has too much control , this is the way they can be stop.

In QUEBEC, this goes beyond Quebec ,and affects the entire country, including companies like Acanac trying to launch a IPTV service. Fergless has his contracts in hand, but with this much control Bell could make it very expensive for Acanac to renew.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to mazhurg

The G&M had a good analysis of what the outcomes could be

1) No
2) With conditions
3) Slam Dunk

»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···4620162/

gtw

@bell.ca

With conditions there shouldn't be any problems.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit
reply to mazhurg

HOLY SHIT they DENIED BCE FROM BUYING ASTRAL

What has the world come too.. I'm still waiting on the decsion, but WOW

In a nutshell, too big, the tangibles benefit was a joke , for example Bell wanted to use the tangible benefits to commemorate Canada's 150th anniversary

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3

The other incumbents didn't like it.

What's better, a round of golf, or 4 rounds of golf? The decision for CRTC is simple on this one.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

Boy oh boy (and BCE knew about this last night, the CRTC always notifies the petitioner the night before), Cope must be blowing a gasket right now.

The decision is here : »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-574.htm

mazhurg
Premium
Brighton, ON

Well,

Score one for the consumers. *(tm)

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Boy oh boy

said by Shrug :

This is only round one no matter what the outcome is tomorrow.

Court: sympathetic senators with Bell stocks and conservative appointed judges = backroom dealings, or
GiC & bought politicians (no different than the Montreal Mafia hearings going on).

Same old.

Round two is now set to begin and will drag on for a year, depending on what they do.

Bell will now punish their customers by increasing costs to cover who they will have to pay off to get on their good side.

Rinse, repeat.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

I'm sure there is a huge breakup fee if the deal doesn't go through.

Coming to your bell bill soon :
The Crtc denied us a monopoly fee

mazhurg
Premium
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to mazhurg

No leaks... None whatsoever...

»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···=acm.a-t

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to Shrug

UBB equivalent for old media I guess. Bell and Astral will fight it I guess but the new CRTC boss has shown he's not about to back down.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

$150 million (how much Bell has to pay Astral for failing to secure the deal)
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Thats pretty cheap. I've seen much bigger fees on deals like this.

Vomio

join:2008-04-01
Reviews:
·odynet
reply to mazhurg

Good eye there.
Insider information? Of course not, it was just a psychic feeling they had due to the uncertainty.

Looking at the price over the year you can get an idea of where it should likely end up, it will be interesting to see if this mess will drive the price much below $30.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to mazhurg

Seems Bell is a little pissed...
- Bell will ask federal Cabinet to issue direction to CRTC to follow its own regulatory policy.
- Decision protects cable conglomerates and rewards their extraordinary and obstructive lobbying efforts.
- Bell is appalled that the CRTC would come to a decision that so negatively impacts Canadian consumers
- CRTC’s decision reflects a bygone era, based on antiquated working papers from the 1970s and 1980s.
- Bell is alleging "senior CRTC officials" met privately with their competitors pre-hearing and refused to meet with them.
- And now, the threat: Bellsays CRTC "forces a review" of its money-losing stations in "small communities across Canada."
- Nothing in Bell release about an appeal, but it is calling on Cabinet to step in and undo the whole thing.
- And this: "CRTC fell head over heels for carefully orchestrated and well-funded propaganda effort that made a mockery of entire process."

All from tweets taken from
»twitter.com/sladurantaye
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

That's funny but if Cabinet finds that Bell would indeed own a significant share, then I'm pretty sure they will also rule in favour of the CRTC's decision. It doesn't take an idiot to see that buy out would do significant harm.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by mlerner:

That's funny but if Cabinet finds that Bell would indeed own a significant share, then I'm pretty sure they will also rule in favour of the CRTC's decision. It doesn't take an idiot to see that buy out would do significant harm.

Our invisible Industry minister is an idiot.
--