Uncle Paul to facepalm

to facepalm

Re: GW2: Necromancer thread

What kind of spec were you running?

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

Granted I was only level 30, but I had 10 pts in Spite and the rest spread out in Curses and Blood. I may be remembering wrong. Another thought I had, and will check when I get home, is maybe Staff range is better.

For now, I would prefer to stay back and out of the melee fray. After I get my new rig up and running, I hope to see things better in the melee action. Right now it is a massive fog of war, which is fitting in a sadistic sort of way. But there are people in that mess of spell effects wailing on me that I can't locate and it pisses me off. lol

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul

Yea I hear ya. The animations is nice and all, but seriously sometimes I can't tell what the hell is going on with all the effects and particles.

I've only done the caged PvP C&H type stuff (I'm a lowbie too). Because I'm a conditioned/bleed focused guy I tend to drop staff AoE triggered stuff and kite in and out of Shroud switching back to scepter/dagger for bleeds, slows, etc.

I'm 100% in curses and soul reaping.

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

Staff definitely has more range than axe & focus.

Staff = 1200
Axe = 600
Scepter = 900
Focus = 900

Respec'd into Curses, Blood Magic & Soul Reaping. Crit is at 48%.

Plan to run with the staff for awhile, so I can get used to it for WvWvW. Using Scepter & Focus as my 2nd weapon set. CC is very good rolling like this in PVE, but I do miss the daggers.

With this combo it is easier to keep the flesh golem up.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

Rolled WvWvW last night and spent a lot of time eating dirt. My bleeds didn't seem to have the punch and the range even with staff didn't seem to be enough.

As with DAoC you were either the zerg, or the victim of a zerg. There didn't seem to be much in between.

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

said by Uncle Paul:

Rolled WvWvW last night and spent a lot of time eating dirt. My bleeds didn't seem to have the punch and the range even with staff didn't seem to be enough.

As with DAoC you were either the zerg, or the victim of a zerg. There didn't seem to be much in between.

Yep, it's tough in there for us. I plan to play the Necro Friday night. (I've got the new rig basically ready to go.) I'm hoping to stay out of the melee fray and cause folks some trouble while adding support. If I get roflstomped too much, I'll build me a damn catapult or trebuchet and launch flaming cows from afar.

I think we need a little love from the GW2 Gods, but we'll see how things go. I'm hoping survivability improves as I get to the higher levels.

I can say this, the Friday night activity is really fun in WvWvW. Many good guilds are on and strategies exist and play out. You have to bring your A game. There seems to always be huge zergs, but we've also seen numerous smaller skirmishes and small groups going after challenges, puzzles and even farming. lol. Good times.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Supposedly there is love coming. The bug list for Necro is a mile long, and supposedly should be getting fixes soon, according to the game forums.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

I like how ArenaNet is really on top of all these fixes. I would love to be able to love the necro

More flashy spell effects too please...

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
I'm going to stick with the profession. Even if it feels weaker then other professions at times.

I went through the same thing with playing a Warlock in WoW for years. Sometimes they were pure crap with the changes they would make. Other times after certain patches, they were cream of the crop.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

I could probably beef up my vitality and toughness to be less squishy, but then I'll be lacking punch, which already seems lacking. We'll see what they come up with.

It's hard for me to alt due to my very limited play time.

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

said by Uncle Paul:

It's hard for me to alt due to my very limited play time.

I'm with you there man. My playing time is certainly limited, but I'm leveling the Necro along with an Engineer. I'm in no hurry. Both are fun. The Engineer is proving very versatile with good survivability.

I parked a Thief, because I was not having fun and don't expect to go back to him. I would like to roll a Hunter at some point. Obviously, I'm more ranged oriented. lol
facepalm

facepalm to puppy

to puppy
Rolled a Ranger this weekend and officially parked the Necro by the Jewelry Crafting Station. He's all about the bling for now.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

Hey Ghastly (and others?), last night in guild chat you said that you feel the recent fixes made it seem like you kill mobs faster now. Is that still the case? How so?

Was it the fix that made the trait to do 20% dmg to mobs under 50% life (instead of 10%)?

BTW I read that trait doesn't apply to conditional dmg... sucks...

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

Doesn't help my condition build, and doesn't help in PvP.

Deo85
join:2012-10-19

Deo85 to puppy

to puppy
Well I have joined the necro community as my first character for GW2

So fare loving the class looks and feel but there are a few things that are confusing me.

1) Why is our pets so horrible? I'm lvl 19 right now and every pet I can summon dies to a stiff breeze, there pa thing is horrible, and there AI is as good as a bowl of rotten fruit. What gives?

2) So I am so fare pumping all my trait into Spite to boost my power so I can dish out more damage but am learning rather quick that by doing this I am squishy as hell. I just started to buy T2 spells and I got to say I don't want really any of them sense so many of them either turn conditions into boons or vise verse.

Now tell me why I would want to grab up all these skills when in the 1-15 area I have not rly come across any conditions or boons on PVE enemy's so I'm wondering if these will be use full at all in higher up lvls?

It looks like the necro is geared to debuff your enemy's with conditions then suck up your friends conditions and turn them into boons or turn enemy conditions into boons or enemy boons into conditions but this is all vary situational and in turn makes me wonder why so much of our spells are geared towards this.

I'm starting to think our role in things is not to really deal a lot of damage but to mediate incoming our out going buffs / debuffs so vary much a utility caster of sorts

3) Death shroud... cool concept annoying that are main nuke on it does not do a lot of damage and scales with our life force. I tend to use this form as my O shit button when things get ugly to give my heal time to get off CD or buy me time when things are gaining up on me. I only use it for damage to half bare with our life force shot sense the damage drops so rapidly as your in the form. I'm not thinking this is supposed to be our super sayin damage out put device in any way but more of a utility device with a gap closer / fear / bleed affect

For weapons I almost tried them all but the focus off hand. I currently run Axe / Dagger and Staff. Staff is great for range and situation slow + AOE cramped places damage. The Axe so fare has the highest out put of single target damage with spectral claws and its claw attack knocks down some ones armor making all your attacks just hit harder on the target.

Im thinking of trying a Dagger / Dagger + well build to turn into a "melee" mage for a change of pace sense Dagger offers bleeds and wells are great for the up close fiths on enemys that suroind you.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

>> Why is our pets so horrible? I'm lvl 19 right now and every pet I can summon dies to a stiff breeze, there pa thing is horrible, and there AI is as good as a bowl of rotten fruit. What gives?

They are undead... and no Igor to find them brains! A lot of people are disappointed with necro minions, especially if they played with GW1 minionmaster (which I loved). They definitely need to fix the minion AI and there's a lot of QQ on the forums about it.

That healing baloon minion sucks. He dies then goes on cooldown, leaving you with no heal at all. Use consume conditions instead.

Necros definitely need a lot of love/fixes. That said, it's one of 3 classes that I've been able to stick with past 30.

>> Traits and skills

Higher level mobs and bosses uses boons (those underground mole people come to mind). My highest is only 40ish but I read that higher level mobs give out a lot more conditions so they will become more useful later.

Necros definitely have a ton of condition manipulation. There's a lot of QQ that conditionmancer is about the only viable spec at 80, which sucks with the current 25 stack limit on conditions per mob. This ArenaNet should have learned from Blizzard from the start - they had a per boss limit on DOTs as well and eventually fixed it to be limit per caster.

>> Of the 1 cost skills I think these are best:

EPIDEMIC (our god skill, it spreads all conditions not just yours on a mob. In a DE let others load up the conditions then you just blow it up).
Signet of Locust - running faster is very important to me in PvE. Run faster-> Quest faster-> Faster leveling, kite mobs easier.
Well of suffering - this thing does a ton of damage
Signet of Spite
Corresive poison cloud and Summon bone fiend are ok...

>> Of the 3 cost skills:

Well of corruption are good, I use it against those mole people that are the first mobs you will see to throw boons on themselves.
The rest are meh for PvE.

>> Of the 6 cost skills:

Blood is Power is nice. One thing to be aware of is that the might you get affects conditions (like bleeds) that are already on the mobs, so you will see the tick numbers jump up.

I haven't really bought/played the other ones. I can see Well of darkness being very useful doing blinds as well as being a combo field.

>> Elites:

All of them are not bad. Flesh golem is STUPID, aggro randomly, but when he actually fights the mob you want he takes a lot more beating than other minions. His charge is also good against structures, while charging against mobs usually end up going too far and aggroing more :P

Plague is a constant AOE around you, with additional skills you can activate. Lich form hits hard.

>> I currently run Axe / Dagger and Staff. Staff is great for range and situation slow + AOE cramped places damage.

Actually axe is pretty mediocre. Try scepter/dagger and run conditions, I love it. Grab 5+ mobs (melee, or kite them to the casters), load up conditions, throw down some wells, cast epidemic. They all die. #2 scepter is cripple on demand, love it.

Deo85

Deo85

So what do you think of Life Blast? I find it kind of lacking which makes me a sad panda sense the damage is low and the CD is high before you get to cast it again.

The grab is situational at best I think the best advice I found with it is to use it on a mob in the distance so that you can escape a sticky situation.

If your going Dagger MH then I can see using it to close the distance wile not taking damage on a mod. Life Transfer is amazing and Doom is a nice little minnie fear to get some one out of the fight for a little wile wish the feat time was longer through.

- Axe Main hand -
So fare out of all the weapon skills I find these the best for single target DPS for the following reasons:

1) Rending Claws is great for stacking vulnerability and thanks to it being a mid range skill you can safely kite mods wile applying your debuff

2) Ghastly Claws is were the money of bust damage is at I have yet to find another weapon skill that stacks the damage up with this one espetioly after you stacked 5+ vulnerability on your target this thing just goes to town I can tend to rip my lvl +1 mod down half there life with this sucker or out right kill it if its got 5+ stacks of vulnerability's on it

3) Unholy Feast is a great AOE snare with a relatively low cast time the only thing I rly need to be careful is to not by accident grab all the wild life around me and have them join the fight sense it is a large AOE spell...

I am definitely worried about our viability late game but at the same time I'm only lvl 20 so I got plenty of time before I get there with the amount of time I play a week so that is lots of patches for the developers to fix what is going on.

I do love that we have tones of spells that allows us to play as a long range / mid range / close range caster with all viable support spells for which ever flavor your prefer or need at the time. I would agree the blood pet is usless and a lack lust concept as it will die vary easily and in turn you just lost your o shit heal.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

I personally find DS to be a bit lacking. I only go into that form when I'm hurt badly, or if I want to do AOE life steal on top of all my DOTs.

I also don't really like vulnerability stacking. 1% per stack = meh for soloing. Very useful for bosses though.

I like Unholy feast but liek you said, its range seems pretty huge so I usually aggro some poor animal/add.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
Scepter/Focus is where it's at. I use this almost exclusively now. Reaper's Touch while using Focus is the bread and butter ability with this weapon set.

It applies vulnerability to multiple mobs while casting a heal on you. Spinel Shivers is another slow and cast speed reduction, allowing more kiting ability.

There's a ton of Death Shroud recharge using a Focus offhand.

Drop a Well of Suffering along with a Reaper's Touch, and a huge group of mobs will just melt away.

Deo85

Deo85

which attribute buffs your well's damage output?

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to puppy

to puppy
From the recent patch notes:
Necromancer
The Soul Reaping trait line now properly increases maximum Life Force.
Ghastly Claws: This skill’s damage has been increased by 10% and updated to indicate the correct life force gained.
Reaper’s Touch: This skill applies 4 stacks of vulnerability per hit instead of 3.
Mark of Blood: This skill now uses the standard staff scythe cast effects.
Spectral Wall: This skill now applies its recharge at the correct time instead of both during and after casting.
Dark Path: This skill now applies it recharge at the correct time instead of both during and after casting.
Spinal Shivers: This skill’s casting effects and audio are now consistent with or without the Spiteful Talisman trait.
Soul Marks and Mark of Revival: These traits now work together to grant 3% life force to players when triggered.
Death Nova: This skill now properly activates when using Taste of Death and Putrid Explosion. The internal cooldown has been removed. This skill’s field duration is now 4 seconds, and the rate it pulses has been increased to every 2 seconds. Its poison duration is 5 seconds per pulse.
Weakening Shroud: This trait now functions underwater.
Mark of Evasion: This trait is no longer a blast finisher when the mark is created.
Plague Blast: This skill’s casting time has been reduced.
Death Shroud: Moa Morph now removes Death Shroud from the target instead of the necromancer being stuck in Death Shroud and using their entire bar while in the transform.
Deadly Catch: This skill now pulls enemies to the necromancer in a reliable fashion.
Summon Blood Fiend: The Blood Fiend’s survivability has been increased, and its attack now heals the necromancer for 200% of its previous heal.
Spectral Walk: This skill now sets its underwater slot appropriately on recharge.
Corrosive Poison Cloud: This skill’s duration tooltip has been corrected.
Frozen Abyss: This skill now lists the vulnerability it applies.
Spectral Grasp: This skill’s projectile velocity has been increased by 33%.
Lich Form: Leaving this skill now removes stability from the player to make the removal consistent with all other transform elites.
Feast: This skill no longer causes damage to the necromancer.
Sinking Tomb: This skill now has a correct range of 1200, cannot hit targets above the water, and has to hit the target to cause the sink effect.
Vampiric Precision, Vampiric Rituals, and Vampiric: These traits have been updated so that they don’t heal enemies when in lower-level areas.
Signet of Spite: This skill’s description now indicates all conditions applied.
Well what do we think? I'm a little rusty on the Necro but I'm liking the Blood Fiend buff. I ran awhile with a guy last night with his army of darkness and I never saw the Blood Fiend go down. Buff to Ghastly Claws and Reapers Touch look nice. My Engineer will ding 80 probably this weekend during the event and I'm excited to give the Necro another test drive.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
Since I got my engineer to 80, I decided to start playing around with a Necro. I only got to level six on my fist night of exploring with him, but stuff dies super fast. Way faster than my engineer was killing at early levels. Are bleeds and poison the only dots for this class or are there some others?

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

If memory serves there is burning too. I know you can also pull a boon from foes and replace them with a condition, but I don't know if that would be a damaging dot or a physically limiting effect. You can also pull conditions from allies and distribute them to foes.
facepalm

facepalm to footballdude

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

Since I got my engineer to 80, I decided to start playing around with a Necro... but stuff dies super fast...

I got the Engineer to 80 as well this weekend and dusted off the Necro. I noticed the same thing. Stuff was dying super fast. I ran the army of darkness for awhile and actually lowered it to 2-3 pets in lieu of a signet for more dots and a well for a little aoe. The healing pet is definitely much better now.

I'll pay around with it some more, but initially it appears the buffs/fixes were helpful.