Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw

[AB] Shaw IPv6 Implementation updates?

Was upgrading my router again today and still noticed that when set to DHCP6, it still does not pull an IPv6 address down from Shaw.

The site »ipv6-test.com/stats/country/CA shows the Shaw indeed does have some users connecting via IPv6.

Is a static IP configuration needed from Shaw or is it flat out not possible to run the IPv6 in Edmonton? Running the Unlimited 250 plan, and reckon if any plan would have it enabled short of the business ones if would be this one as its the most expensive residential package available.

What is needed to finally get this running??

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Shaw has IPv6 addresses, one of the first comanies in the world to get them.

Shaw will provide them to the fiber (and like) customers, but not the cable internet customers.

It will happen, but Shaw cable is not doing any IPv6 addresses, anywhere.

Quote from [shaw]mario

quote:
IPv6 - Shaw has been involved with IPv6 for some time, we have our blocks and currently focusing on auditing our existing IPv4 space to determine when we'll deploy IPv6.

I use tunnelbroker.net for my IPv6 networks, and it works very well.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to Baud1200

See this thread on the Shaw Community for your answer:

»community.shaw.ca/message/1993

July 3:

"IPv6 for residential and business cable modem customers is currently being worked on and tested. There are a lot of options and technologies that can be used, so technologies are being tried and plans being made. Shaw Business already offers IPv6 solutions to enterprise customers and the Shaw backbone has been using IPv6 for a while now."

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Yes,

I keep forgetting, no longer a secret,

I should have just linked it...

-Posted from my phone.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to kevinds

said by kevinds:

I use tunnelbroker.net for my IPv6 networks, and it works very well.

Tunnelbroker is great.
Only "issue" I've found, is now that youtube and other google services are returning AAAA records, instead of getting bounced to Shaw's google cache to stream a youtube video, you might be going through your tunnel and halfway around the world... sometimes results in some interesting performance problems.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

But Shaw claims not to cache things now

I found at least 75% of my internet traffic goes through Seattle, I chose a Seattle endpoint, and have not had those issues.

The plus side, is that you can change ISPs, and still keep your same static /64 and /48 blocks.

-Posted from my phone.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1

I guess technically it's not Shaw caching things, but they have servers inside their network as part of the 'google global cache' which google gives to any moderate sized ISP for the purpose of caching youtube/maps/whatever else.

So for instance, if I go watch a random featured video on youtube...
The video content is served to me from o-o---preferred---iad09s21---v5---lscache7.c.youtube.com which has an AAAA record of 2607:f8b0:4004:7::16
pinging that I get about 140ms

If I disable ipv6 on my computer, and go watch it again...
Now the video content is served from o-o---preferred---shaw-yvr1---v16---lscache4.c.youtube.com , which has an A record of 24.244.19.143 which is a Shaw ip, and pinging that I get about 10ms... also the video loads much faster.

I don't know exactly how they do the redirection... but you need to be using your ISPs dns server for it to work, and I'm guessing if you query their DNS server for an AAAA record, when their google cache servers don't have ipv6 enabled, it just forwards you along to one of the main google ipv6 addresses to serve the content.

Very rarely is it an issue, but I've noticed a few times where videos will hang a little bit, particular if they're HD, then if I disable ipv6 the same video will load through Shaw's cache server blazing fast

I'll have to try a tunnel from Seattle and see if that makes a difference, I was pretty sure when I signed up the only west coast option was Fremont CA, or maybe I just didn't see it

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

I'm not sure when you created your tunnel,

My current Seattle tunnel was created November 2008.

What I really like about the tunnelbroker setup, is when/if Shaw goes down, it can be re-directed to the Roger's cellular modem IP, and will be back up fairly quickly. Can not do that with ISP issued addresses.

It is ~60ms to the Seattle endpoint, so if there is other local IPv6 traffic (from Calgary) it adds that time to go to the west-coast and back, but almost all my traffic goes through Seattle anyways (including my IPv4 VPN connection to Edmonton).

According to my traceroute, Google appears to be peered (or has a cache server) with Hurricane Electric as well
google-as15169.gigabitethernet2-8.core1.sea1.he.net
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Baud1200

Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits

Finally managed to get it up and running with a Tunnelbroker setup. The main challenge was getting PFsense to lease out addresses to the clients properly.

Nice to have it working with the Unlimited 250 plan. I won't let the cat out of the bag as to how usefull this currently is (or they will change it), but those who already know will no doubt appreciate the fact that it can be done

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

I won't let the cat out of the bag as to how usefull this currently is (or they will change it), but those who already know will no doubt appreciate the fact that it can be done

Are you refering to PFsense? or IPv6? That sentence I'm not sure I am getting the reference.

Glad it is working for you.
-Posted from my phone.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to Baud1200

He's probably referring to the fact that tunneled IPv6 bittorrent upstream traffic is not being throttled. Most bittorrent clients prefer IPv6 over IPv4. In practice, however, I haven't seen much improvement because of it, since most IPv6 clients are Teredo and therefore have really poor performance.

Baud1200

Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

said by stolen:

He's probably referring to the fact that tunneled IPv6 bittorrent upstream traffic is not being throttled. Most bittorrent clients prefer IPv6 over IPv4. In practice, however, I haven't seen much improvement because of it, since most IPv6 clients are Teredo and therefore have really poor performance.

Correct. Figured it out after watching the IPv6 clients seeming to pull unthrottled numbers where ipv4 were seeing noticable throttling, googled it up and sure enough, in most cases where IPv6 is not served out by the ISP they don't have the hardware to throttle it either.
Guessing the Buisness packages all have useage caps so they do have the IPv6, but the residential (even unlimited) ones don't offer the IPv6 becuase it can adversly affect thier current throttling setup.

As to the later bit, it comes down to Teredo vs Throttling, but the results have been encoraging so far.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Business connections are not throttled, but they do not have IPv6 either.

Business connections have the same network as residental, with slightly different settings in the modem.

The fiber that offers IPv6, is a completely different beast.

My bitrorrent won't connect over IPv6 anymore, must be my config then, I was thinking HE was blocking it.

-Posted from my phone.

Baud1200

Reviews:
·Shaw

said by kevinds:

Business connections are not throttled, but they do not have IPv6 either.

Business connections have the same network as residental, with slightly different settings in the modem.

The fiber that offers IPv6, is a completely different beast.

You're right, was getting that info from the linked post earlier that did deal specifically with the Fibre.

For the pfsense config I used this guide, note that I am running 2.1 which is a beta, and apparently has better IPv6 support:
»doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Using_···l_Broker

Then for torrent client setup, just running DHCP6 lease and went the easy route with UPnP enabled. Client is latest Utorrent beta.

Windows 7 should perfer IPv6 by default, not sure about the other versions but there are ways to adjust that as well if needed.

annoyingrob

join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB
reply to Baud1200

I've had a tunnelbroker setup on my network for a few years now. I have a linux box acting as a router with ip6tables, and radvd to hand out leases. It's also set up as a DNS cache. it all works seamlessly with IPv4 and IPv6 in everything (even torrents)