Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to dolphins

Re: [IE] Crash when try to add page to favorites

said by dolphins:

Open FF, go to Help, then Restart with add-ons disabled, then re-enable them one at a time. Check each one as you enable them for any conflicts.

I tried that but it disables PlainOldFavorites and I haven't added an extension in years.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7

Is everything up to date? »www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

said by dolphins:

Open FF, go to Help, then Restart with add-ons disabled, then re-enable them one at a time. Check each one as you enable them for any conflicts.

I tried that but it disables PlainOldFavorites and I haven't added an extension in years.

The idea is to find out if an add-on is causing the conflict. Did you try restarting with add-ons disabled and re-enabling one at a time?

FYI: You don't need an add-on to import bookmarks. Open FF, Bookmarks, scroll down to Unsorted Bookmarks at the bottom, click it, then click, Import and Backups in the toolbar, choose an option.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 edit
reply to dolphins

said by dolphins:

Is everything up to date? »www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Yes, I have it set to auto update but had to get the MS Silverlight updated. All others were ok.

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

said by dolphins:

I went through this again and it crashes with all add-ons disabled. this time I disabled them manually. I know that doing so does not make sense but I am scratching the bottom of my barrow.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't referring to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Try this...

If Firefox crashes when attempting to select a file or folder location, such as when backing up bookmarks, browsing to a file to upload it, or choosing a location to save a file, this can occur if you have selected "Automatically expand to current folder" in your Windows Folder Options (applies to Windows 7). To resolve the problem, go to the Windows Start menu, click on "Computer" and in the window that opens, click on "Organize -> Folder and search options" and uncheck "Automatically expand to current folder" in the Folder Options "General" tab.

»kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:17
reply to rfhar

Also, can you get more information on the crashes involving Firefox - see the info under "Get help fixing this crash" (Get the Report ID of your latest crash report) in the following link:

»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fir···is-crash

Since you have submitted information on the crashes to Mozilla you should be able to look at the information and see if a third party module is involved in the crashes using about:crashes from the address bar and generating the report.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ

Yes, that would be very helpful rather than just taking potshots in the dark.

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to rfhar

auggy: I looked at the link you provided this morning. I have another doctor appointment This morning so I will be back later.
I am thinking that the problem is with IE9. Fx crashes when I try to add to the favorites in both Fx And IE. I am usng PlainOldFavorites.

Yesterday I learned That if I go to "Start; All Programs; Internet Explorer" and right click on it and "Run as Administrator" IE will open as if it was opened for the first time with only the original Favorites listed and I can add to my favorites. But of course as soon as I close this IE and open another one with the normal shortcut I still have a problem.

Be back after I see the doctor.

Oh, Thanks to all for the help. I am slowly learning.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to rfhar

A couple things that have been on my mind before we leave.

A while back I opened two Windows Explorer windows and copied my Favorites from my usual User Profile to my guest profile so as to have them when the house is full of kids and grandkids, Could this have messed things up? I expect that there may be a better way to do this.

Also I tried to make a registry change as instructed above and failed. this appealed to me and frustrated me that I could not do so. I would love to see where things went wrong here.

»Re: [IE] Crash when try to add page to favorites

When I get back I am going to go to the top of the thread and try everything again again. I did not get very far last time.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!