how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheZandrew

join:2011-01-04
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Teksavvy Installation Nightmare - Letter to CEO

Realistically, there have been way to many "snowballed" stories here. Ever since my ordeal with TSI, i've frequented these forums and lost count of the horror stories. There's basically a fresh one every few days.

At the end of the day, people like myself who used to recommend Teksavvy USED to say "go with Teksavvy, good support, good value, and none of the Bell/Rogers BS"... Well, I cant say that to my friends anymore, I have to tell them its basically a crap shoot without solid support that used to be legendary. Why? Im not willing to recommend anything subpar to my friends and risk my good name for doing so.

Instead of spending money on marketing, how about more solid support? I bet you a good majority of the people that frequent this forum is the person friends and family turn to for computer, electronics and internet advice. The beauty of being THAT GUY is that your word carries weight, which far outweighs a poster in the subway.

"Slow and steady wins the race", and as a former customer, I have a simple request. Please dont become another Air Canada, rapid expansions sacrifices too much. Are you really willing to sacrifice the name and reputation of your company for profits?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to tonytoronto
said by tonytoronto:

Wow, Its unfortunate posts like this are becoming so frequent. Its sad to see a great company go down like this.
Keep us posted on what they will do for you, good luck.

One word:

Perception.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to Simpletwist
I feel bad for the whole account, but i'm anxiously waiting for Marc to confirm or deny that Mac really did scream at the guy. That part is what get's my blood boiling if it were true.

If true it'd be immediate suspension/termination if it were my employee. You DO NOT do that. Defuse the situation or hand it to someone else if you're getting to amped up.

I hope you'll let the community know Marc. Obviously you're now on a slight damage control and i really do try to love what Teksavvy stands for but man, sell the business start over lets go back to how you guys used to be :/ You were the crown jewel of the mix in Canada. You even had people in the States cheering you on.

anon234

@teksavvy.com
reply to Simpletwist
It's a known fact that people will go out of their way to complain or publicize a bad story.

Regardless of how bad this is I'm still sticking with TSI.
After years with Bell and Rogers, and watching the antics of the CRTC I know who the real bad guys are.

In a sense, we are fortunate that TSI are around to fight the good fight. I can't imagine how much worse things would be without them.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Tx
When was the last time Bell or Rogers CEO hopped onto the DSL reports forums? If the facts all check out it certainly represents something gone horribly wrong. However at least the person that has power to change things is looking into it.

Any ISP is capable of and likely has royally screwed things up in the past. My Bell DSL move order years ago was delayed almost a month and took a post to dslreports to get fixed.

Lately there are alot more reports about the ball being dropped more frequently. It's really hard to say though if it is worse than before as a overall percentage of the user base or if things are the same but reported more often because there are so many more users. Anecdotally I've had two install experiences this year and both were as smooth as anything.

On the flip side reading some of the stories over the last few months there have been some hints about increased CSR stress and increased terse interactions with some customers. There is also a certain level of powerlessness being expressed about dealing with no shows and other incumbent challenges which I imagine is taking its toll. Imagine being in the shoes of the support person who's only tool is to reschedule an appointment, not being able to promise if the tech will come and not able to explain why the no show happened. It's certainly an area TSI needs to think hard about. As Marc said in another thread, Bell (or whoever) could be more responsive in the cases but aren't (by choice or by neglect?). On the other hand it's not like rogers doesn't do no-shows to it's own customers too.

I have heard of techs visiting install locations the next day to make sure things worked out OK. I'm a little unclear if they are Rogers staff or hired by TSI to follow-up. If its the later I wonder how much more effort would it take to get these guys qualified to do the install themselves if it wasn't done properly the day prior by rogers?

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to anon234
said by anon234 :

It's a known fact that people will go out of their way to complain or publicize a bad story.

Your attempt to criticize the OP because people "go out of their way" to publicize a bad story is absolutely far fetched.

Let's say Rogers for example. You realize how many are TRULY happy with them? More than you even realize. You hear bad stories because as you grow as do complaints. It's how the business handles the complaints is what sets them apart.

Marc is a good dude. More transparent then he needs to be sometimes but that doesn't solve this issue if it rings true. Teksavvy as a name may be a great company but his few bad apples are destroying it. If this Mac guy did in deed do as the OP said, doesn't matter who Teksavvy is, that's unacceptable. Unfortunately i sure hope no one expects answers if it rang true due to privacy issues in the work place, Marc's hands are tied if you wanted to know what happened with Mac if true.

What proves a story over and over is that everyone that does complain, usually says the same thing about the CSR on the phone.

You love TSI so much, prove everyone wrong and cancel your service and re order it and see if you're singing the same tune if a CSR or Rogers mishandle the address information or play dumb.

Everything is golden........until it's not.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to graniterock
said by graniterock:

When was the last time Bell or Rogers CEO hopped onto the DSL reports forums? If the facts all check out it certainly represents something gone horribly wrong. However at least the person that has power to change things is looking into it.

Indie vs the big guys. Other ISP's are on this forum and the owners and staff chat there too. Point is, i wasn't even complaining. Not sure what your point is?

Your point is also irrelevant to the issues at hand if what was told rings true about a supervisor screaming. Not trying to argue, but Marc could buy everyone beers every weekend, it doesn't change what is systematically wrong if a CSR is screaming at customers.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to anon234
said by anon234 :

I think TekSavvy offers one of the best internet products in the industry. My experience has been perfect. For example, the support staff phoned me well ahead of time to let me know the install date was going to slip by a couple of days. My install date slipped into March ... which meant installation fell into the "free install" promo time period. TekSavvy billing made the adjustment automatically, and retroactively. What more could I ask? Nothing. A+++ service.

Luckily I did everything in my power to not have much interaction with technical support. I even got a Sagemcom modem to avoid having to deal with the whole CellPipe fiasco.

It's clear that when things go wrong you may need the patience of a saint. I accept that as fair trade for a lower monthly cost. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. I am very concerned when my luck runs out that I may have a CSR go ballistic on me. That would not be acceptable under any circumstances.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1
reply to Simpletwist
Teksavvy has been going down the tubes for a long time, I used to be a reseller for them but they started making so many screw ups and the customer support went from great to crap. The CSR's are useless when it comes to anything order wise, appt's being missed all the time, or information not being enter right by csr's then when you call in for help they just offer lot's of empty promises to get you off the phone. I know myself that I will never refer or use Teksavvy ever again until they get their act together.
Oh, and everything is Bells and Rogers fault. No ownership from Teksavvy at all.

TSI Danielle
Premium
join:2012-05-31
kudos:11
reply to Simpletwist
Simpletwist,

Would you be able to PM me the phone number the call was made from? The manager working on the issue wants to make sure the full string of calls is reviewed.

Thanks.
Danielle
--
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to scorpido
said by scorpido:

No ownership from Teksavvy at all.

The CEO from the company has written on this very topic that they are at fault

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
said by Dunlop:

said by scorpido:

No ownership from Teksavvy at all.

The CEO from the company has written on this very topic that they are at fault

Teksavvy has messed up dropped the ball on a lot of my orders, it's a case of that I know how to escalate within the corporation. What gets me is how emotional people get over something so trivial. (Yes, Search my name, I have also been in this exact position but as I grew up with Teksavvy I grew to understand the internal processes and it got a lot easier to deal with).

For all the screw-ups on whomever's side, I do have to say that they have also been equally as responsive and generous towards myself, clients, family and friends. For that small point, I thank them.

I just PM certain people and life is good again. Easy. lol.

So to the OP, I am incredibly sorry for your experience, yes it is the problem, I do however also extend my deepest sympathy to your ongoing family case. That being said if an agent of Teksavvy Solutions Inc. was literally "yelling and screaming" at you, I would be remiss if I didn't say that agent has no potential as a CSR/TECH for TSI. TSI is a stressful but also semi-fun (Yes, I know the flip side here, don't go PM'ing me over it) environment where-by a fellow team member will take a call for you if you are unable to handle the situation effectively and I'm sure Marc wouldn't mind if you passed the client on and went for a short walk outside to clear your head.

SO my point is, USER:TSIMarc is on it, we may not like the slight curtain closing as of late but it's life for a corporation that's grown and is wanting to bring in a positive profit.

In summation, TSI has sunk but it has also risen in a way... They have been silently chugging away at increasing network capacity and management. etc.

So ya, that's all I got to dump today, thanks for reading, feel free to pm with flames and what not.
--
"Lord giveth but he also taketh away"
»www.speedtest.net/result/2102768148.png

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Just to update;

I've been looking into this all evening until 9pm last night and all of this morning. I'll report back soon.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to zacron
It's all very well to say grow slowly, but the very fact that they were so good at CS and at providing the product drew people to them.

Look at how pissed off people get when they put a stop sell on the cable product, or have Bell say "nope can't transfer home phone to them at your address".

It's one of the differences between a "service" and a "product". A company only makes "n" of a product and distributes them, the shops sell them, and then they're largely forgotten until the next batch appears, with no ill feeling. But with a service, the inability to supply is a problem because it's in one's face all the time. They can get X, but I can't and I live next door. etc etc. It does create ill will especially when the alternative is the incumbents.

One also has to remember the incumbents screw up like this each and every day. We expect it of them. We ignore it. We didn't expect it of TSI, so now when it happens we get really pissed.

Growth had to happen ... and keeping it under control is difficult.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Simpletwist
I think your generally right. Teksavvy leases out the last mile, space, and equipment from the big ISPs. The big ISPs have never liked the independants (probably because they're forced to share their last mile/equipment with them). They completely own the install process. All teksavvy can do is send them the order (I'm thinking Rogers didn't receive the updated address from teksavvy in time).

As long as independant's use any equipment/space/last mile that they don't own, I think you'll get issues like this.

You said it yourself in your comments. It almost made you want to go back to Rogers. lol.

I probably wouldn't go back to teksavvy unless my local ISP really cracked down on bandwidth usage. It is pretty rough when an ISP doesn't have controller over all of their operations.

As for compensation. I don't think any provider is going to give you 4 months free. I had some pretty rough issues with telus a few years ago. I spent so many hours of my time calling them, having techs come out and what not. They gave me one month free.

With a company like teksavvy which is at the mercy of rogers/bell. They'd go broke of they compensated everyone for lost wages.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Bell say "nope can't transfer home phone to them at your address".

They acknowledged on this forum that the inability to transfer your phone number to a Teksavvy POTS line is on their end, not Bell's. Tinfoil hat theory is to push more people to sign up to Tektalk with much higher profit margins. Real reason: who knows :P

There was no way that Teksavvy could maintain their old support model as they grew exponentially in a short period time. Yes, the good old days are gone but it doesn't mean they are the next Bell shown by the fact Marc has posted multiple times in this thread.

My time with them was good and the few times I needed to call my issue was resolved in a speedy manor.

If I hadn't been so annoyed with the complete and utter mishandling of the Quebec market around the time of the new cable tariffs I wouldn't have left and I would still recommend them to anyone who asked me about my experience

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

One also has to remember the incumbents screw up like this each and every day.

Bell, yeah. Rogers, maybe.

When my TSI cable was out for 11 days recently, reasons unknown(*), the Rogers Cable guy who eventually showed up to verify that the line was fine (which we had already proven by borrowing neighbours' modems), he said "nothing I can do -- it's Teksavvy's issue. But.. he also said, that had I been a Rogers customer, he would not have been allowed to leave until everything was working again. Possibly including a modem swap on the spot.

That's the kind of service I expect, and Teksavvy fails to even attempt to deliver.

Cheers

(*) Issue eventually written off as out of date 02.08 firmware on DCM-475, despite neighbour's having exact same modem/version, and this unit working fine in other neighbourhoods. I think some datafill got messed up somewhere, but purchasing and datafilling a new modem fixed it, whatever the issue was.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

said by sbrook:

Bell say "nope can't transfer home phone to them at your address".

They acknowledged on this forum that the inability to transfer your phone number to a Teksavvy POTS line is on their end, not Bell's. Tinfoil hat theory is to push more people to sign up to Tektalk with much higher profit margins. Real reason: who knows :P

There was no way that Teksavvy could maintain their old support model as they grew exponentially in a short period time. Yes, the good old days are gone but it doesn't mean they are the next Bell shown by the fact Marc has posted multiple times in this thread.

My time with them was good and the few times I needed to call my issue was resolved in a speedy manor.

If I hadn't been so annoyed with the complete and utter mishandling of the Quebec market around the time of the new cable tariffs I wouldn't have left and I would still recommend them to anyone who asked me about my experience

Hum, I dont understand what you're saying here. I don't at all agree that somehow the good times have past. I don't think the old model has changed or that it's not achievable today or that we're that far off. I'll explain more once I post my full review.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by TSI James:

»TekSavvy Direct

Simpletwist

I am sorry to hear about the situation...can you please post your account inforamtion in our direct area and we can look into this for you.

Thanks,

I find it ironic how Teksavvy loves to hide behind the "Direct Forum". Yes it's important that Simpletwist's private information is kept private, but the end result is important to the community at hand.

Almost everytime someone bitches and complains about an issue with Teksavvy, it gets whisked off to the direct forum and the thread dies.

Simpletwist, short of divulging private information, it would be appreciated if you could post the results of you posting in the direct forum.

They're not hiding behind anything, they asked that the account information be posted in the direct forum and the very next post after yours is from TSI Marc. They're still communicating right here, in the open, for everyone to see, like they always do.

They have their faults and most of us here will point them out, regardless of which side of the fence we're on; there's no need to make shit up.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Seriously dude, go though the "Teksavvy sucks" threads, and see how many times it goes of to the direct forum and we never hear of it again.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc
Really the issues of installs and support come down to the fact that we are dealing with a faulty relationship between the incumbents and TPIAs, and the TPIA's being the people we talk with bear the brunt of the heat.

All this because the CRTC didn't choose to implement tougher standards for the response procedures and times for the incumbent - TPIA relationship.

Let's face it, the incumbents really would rather have all the TPIA customers themselves, so why would they want to service TPIAs? So, they prioritize TPIA clients below their own. Now granted the relationship between for example Bell and TekSavvy is generally better than Rogers - Teksavvy, because Bell have long had similar business relationships selling at a wholesale and commercial level. This was a new and very reluctant business for Cable. They were strong armed into it by the CRTC and thought they could get away with doing all interaction through the existing customer email support team with a similar 48 hour response window (who incidentally were pretty bad for their own customers). There was never a proper escalation process for cable TPIA problems ... and so the TPIA customer gets no priority when things go wrong from the incumbent.

This all puts a crazy strain on TPIA support. It's easy to say "TekSavvy support isn't doing anything to push this along", but the reality is that in many cases, particularly cable, there IS nothing they can do to push things along except occasionally rely on the goodwill of some particular employee, since there is no real business process to push things along!

The overall result is that if you choose to have a TPIA, then when things go wrong, they can readily go VERY VERY wrong and the TPIA's hands are tied.

The reality is that if the incumbents treated TPIAs as important commercial customers and gave them the priority they deserved, TPIA support staff wouldn't be spending so long answering irate customers and trying to coax incumbents to get off their duffs and actually resolve problems in a timely and efficient manner. Then TPIA support staff would be far better able to help and less likely to panic and leave. Support is a tough job and a lot of people just can't do it without burning out quickly.

Yes, I'm blaming the incumbents again, but I'm also blaming the CRTC for allowing the incumbents to put TPIA providers in this position.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Seriously dude, go though the "Teksavvy sucks" threads, and see how many times it goes of to the direct forum and we never hear of it again.

I've been following TSI for years, since I live in MI and was considering moving a bit farther north; at least 7 years now. I've seen it all already.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to elwoodblues
The idea of the direct forums is that if the customer has posted in the main forum and been referred to the direct, that the customer come back to the main forum and post the results of his interaction if appropriate. The reality is that very very very few people actually do that. It's not up to the ISP to bring the story back, and could be considered a privacy issue if they did.

The ISPs don't do a "we'll fix your problem in the direct forum as long as you don't tell others". I think that would raise some eyebrows!

It's people's general "phew it's solved ... let's get on" that has happened here and they just don't come back to report the results ... even if they say they will. It's not just these forums. I mod a medical forum, and we regularly refer people to their doctor and ask them to come back and tell us how they made out (you get concerned when you hear of people having heart problems etc. It's nice to find out they're still alive!) BUT nope, maybe 1 in 100 return.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to BronsCon
said by BronsCon:

said by elwoodblues:

I've been following TSI for years, since I live in MI and was considering moving a bit farther north; at least 7 years now. I've seen it all already.

Following TSI (reading ups and downs) and using the service (Calling in for support, billing, sales and physically using the services) are two different things. I cannot physically comment on Dell for example. Horror stories i've heard are everywhere. Until i use their service, computers, support i have no right to comment on how successful or unsuccessful they are.

What you read here in the forums is a sample, nothing more.

Basically what i'm saying is you shouldn't have an opinion of either. Saying Teksavvy fights the good fight is like saying Telus does a Cancer run each summer that my family attends and donates to. Both fight good causes.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Did I read that right? Are you really telling me I'm not entitled to my opinion? And was that really in response to a statement of fact (rather than opinion)? Wow. Just... Wow. And people take you seriously?

Edit: To be clear, it was suggested that I read the forums. When I point out that not only have I read them, I've been reading them for the better part of a decade, you chime in and try to invalidate that by saying I'm not entitled to an opinion because I'm not a customer. Were you not the one to bring opinion into this to begin with, I might be inclined to agree with you.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by BronsCon:

Did I read that right? Are you really telling me I'm not entitled to my opinion? And was that really in response to a statement of fact (rather than opinion)? Wow. Just... Wow. And people take you seriously?

Here you go on your high horse again. Entitled to an opinion sure, but to provide a statement without first using Teksavvy.

You're very dramatic, take it down a few notches...

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to Tx
said by Tx:

If this Mac guy did in deed do as the OP said, doesn't matter who Teksavvy is, that's unacceptable. Unfortunately i sure hope no one expects answers if it rang true due to privacy issues in the work place, Marc's hands are tied if you wanted to know what happened with Mac if true.

Agreed. What does it even matter to anyone, except the OP, if the guy yelled?

And if he did yell for no reason, you have to wonder what would break a person to the point of screaming.

Maybe the guy could use a couple of days off for an extra long weekend. Chit happens. No one is immune from pressures of life and the pressures of work.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Really the issues of installs and support come down to the fact that we are dealing with a faulty relationship between the incumbents and TPIAs, and the TPIA's being the people we talk with bear the brunt of the heat.

Yes, that is certainly a big part of the environment. I expect TPIAs and consumer groups to organize and provide leadership to effect change. Not really what this thread is about AFAIK. I am far more concerned about CSR behavior .... something for which TekSavvy has 100% control.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to BronsCon
One of the fanbois I mentioned.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada